Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: OT- The Passion is Gone. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 1  

Ever since I was a kid reading comics. It was my dream to one day draw them for a living. When I was younger I had such determination and passion for it. I had the dedication needed to sit all day long working to get better. 

It's a cruel how things can be sometimes. When I didn't have the skill set to do the job. I had the discipline it takes to do the job. Now that I have the skill set. I no longer have the passion it.

I still love to draw but I no longer have the desire to spend all the time it would take to actually be a comic artist. 

I now find myself on unfamiliar ground. What direction do I head now? 
Back to Top profile | search

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 2  

You can always take it up as a hobby, to pass the time you have to do it. What I do is draw what I like, and if it becomes something like comics, at least it's what I used to like about comics. It's one way of keeping it alive, even if you're not doing it for a living.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

As of right now I don't really want hobby to be an option. I'm feeling like I failed. If I don't work towards something, I'm accepting failure. As hard as it may be to accept that my childhood dream won't come true. I've learned that dreams can change. I'm okay with that with them changing. As long as I can find another outlet.

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

Look at it this way Anthony, you didn't fail, the industry failed. I've felt somewhat similar being in the newspaper business. I strayed from my passion of journalism for several years and then when forced to return to it, it is a three day a week publishing schedule, digitially oriented mockery of itself.
Keep your love of comics and the skills you've honed, but find a way to direct them into something new and vibrant and still growing.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Conner Dinkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

Self Publish or do a Webcomic. I think if you can do whatever you want the passion will come back.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

Self Publish or do a Webcomic. I think if you can do whatever you want the passion will come back.
~~~~~~~~
 That is something I was considering. Hopefully doing that might reignite the fire. 
```

Keep your love of comics and the skills you've honed, but find a way to direct them into something new and vibrant and still growing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm trying, I still enjoy doing pin ups and splash pages. So the odd commission here and there are still fun.   

More than anything it's the sequential storytelling that I've been struggling with. Not the storytelling aspect itself. It's just the process of doing the page. 

I'm not fast enough to do the quality of work that is acceptable to me. I've got too much respect for the artform and for the people. I'd be doing the work for to submit what I think is crap. Just to get the job done.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 18 July 2014 at 7:50pm

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

Anthony,
I lost my passion for comics back in the 90's because the 90's happened.  I no longer felt I understood what the audience or publishers or anyone wanted.  I did other things, and developed other skills (programming,cgi, etc.).  Eventually discovering that a lot of these skills were broadly cross-applicable.

Then, there was a spot in like 2005 or '06 when I was showing my sketchbook to a former Marvel editor (Polly Watson) out in a parking lot of a local nightclub.  Her band had just played the aforementioned club here in MN, and I happened to be a big fan (I'd reviewed them for a webzine).   I found out she used to be at Marvel, and said, "Hey, I have my sketchbook in the trunk.  Want to see?"  This was like 1am.  She had a lot of very honest praise for what I did, and considering the source of it, it tipped a domino.

It took like five years, but I discovered I didn't care that I didn't understand the bizzareness of the industry.  I found I wanted to make comics.  I love these crazy things.  I also found I'd abandoned any desire to do superhero work.  It seemed like beating a dead horse that had already been beaten flat with Mjolnir for 20 years.  Suddenly, everything else that it's possible to do in comics lay before me.  I find myself boggling at the possibilities.  It's all new again.
You may need a break, but believe me, you can get the passion back. With a vengeance.

...and what Connor said.  Good plan.  It's the plan with unconstrained creative freedom.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Stephens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm not fast enough to do the quality of work that is acceptable to me. I've got too much respect for the artform and for the people. I'd be doing the work for to submit what I think is crap. Just to get the job done.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------
You wouldn't have to do monthly, maybe bi-monthly or quarterly?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 9  

You wouldn't have to do monthly, maybe bi-monthly or quarterly?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eating my Cake and having it to. 

I imagine unless I was already established. I wouldn't have an option of saying. I'm only doing bi-monthlies or Quarterlies. Thou those two scenarios would please me. 

I've liked the idea of doing something on my own. I wouldn't have to adhere to anyone's deadlines but my own. So I can just do the work and once it was done put it out there.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 18 July 2014 at 9:18pm

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

Anthony>>
I wouldn't have to adhere to anyone's deadlines but my own. So I can just do the work and once it was done put it out there.<<

Yep!  And you can work any sixteen hours of the day you like!  :)

Just one note that's helped me.  Do the best you can, obviously, but remember that "perfect" is the enemy of "done."
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

Anthony, I feel you pain. I truly do. For me, it's not the passion to
draw the pages or the skill set. My dream was to one day draw
Superman and Captain America. After having seen what the
companies have done to those characters I've realized that those
characters no longer exist for me to draw, were I to break in. So, I quit
bringing my portfolio to cons and simply gave up. The Big two took
away the goal. If I can't option my goal why struggle and fight to break
in.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

Just one note that's helped me.  Do the best you can, obviously, but remember that "perfect" is the enemy of "done."
```````````````

Oh yeah, That enemy has had it's sights set on me for a long time. I lose that battle more times than I win.

When I talk to my father about that very thing. He tells me the same thing. Even thou it might not look right to me. Doesn't mean it won't look right to someone else. 

It doesn't help that I've got this little voice in my head saying. 'Would John Byrne let that one go or would he do it again until he got it right?' 

I try to tell myself 'Get it right next time'. But I don't want to do that if the reason for my saying it is because. The job is being to difficult.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version