Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Costume design best practices (unlike new Batgirl) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2014 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 1  

While I do like the new Batgirl design, it really would make more sense in the context of a fully rebooted character, rather than somehow shoehorning it into the current storyline.

I just don't get why Barbara would go from wearing a "professional" superhero costume, and switch down to a homemade look.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2014 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 2  

My 2 cents:

Marvel is obviously going for a wider audience by announcing a new Thor through a nationally syndicated show. But unfortunately its a stunt only those of us seeped in superhero mythology would understand. To Joe and Jane Public, a new, female Thor makes as much sense as a female Hercules. Thor is the name and identity of a mythological character, it's not a title or an assumed identity that can be handed over.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2014 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 3  

The New 52 might be going through a rolling reboot, which is something we saw in the previous DCU.  There were all those post-Crisis glitches which supposedly got fixed when Zero Hour came along, but then there were other things like JB's new Doom Patrol, JM Straczynski's new Wonder Woman, and probably any number of other single character reboots while the rest of the universe went unchanged. 

Superman just got a mini-reboot with the creative team of Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. taking over that book.  I'm totally in favor of going that route with Batgirl, since the New 52 didn't wipe her slate clean at all.  Instead of a fresh start under Gail Simone, Barbara Gordon had to spend the whole first story arc getting over the fear of guns she developed after getting shot by the Joker, and a character that should be a light, fun counterpoint to Batman was just as continuity-heavy and grim as the Dark Knight.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2014 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 4  

Here's an idea:  How about both DC and Marvel forget about continuity, and just start publishing some fun stories?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2014 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 5  

Sam Wilson is the new Cap and Steve is being put out to pasture, or something. Didn't Steve just get back to being Captain America? Or is that time compressing as I get older?
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2014 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 6  

I'm not sure about the new Thor, but I'm glad to see that Stephen Colbert will be the new Falcon!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2014 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 7  

Didn't Steve just get back to being Captain America?

Sure seems like it. What will this be - the fourth time Steve Rogers has been replaced as Captain America?

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2014 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 8  

Sure seems like it. What will this be - the fourth time Steve Rogers has been replaced as Captain America?

The article I read said seventh.  Falcon, Bucky/Winter Soldier, Johnny Walker/Super-Patriot/U.S. Agent, Roscoe (during the original Nomad storyline), 1950s Cap (retroactively)...maybe one more in there at some point.  The replacements seem to be coming more frequently now, don't they?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2014 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Here's an idea:  How about both DC and Marvel forget about continuity, and just start publishing some fun stories?"

I wonder how long we have before someone pitches a "Thor gets raped" story. Seven, maybe eight minutes after the "Thor is a Woman" announcement?

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2014 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

Peter Martin wrote:
Didn't Steve just get back to being Captain America? Or is that time compressing as I get older?

Time is compressing, just as the current Bullpen writes decompressed story arcs. Sometimes, it gets like browsing through a stack of pre-Crisis DC comics done by guys trying to write the superheroes into story arcs based on some pretty heavy movie scripts. You lose track of who's who.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2014 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 11  

Emery: I wonder how long we have before someone pitches a "Thor gets raped" story. Seven, maybe eight minutes after the "Thor is a Woman" announcement?

At MARVEL NOW, the only editorial discussion left before this happens is to determine whether it happens in a Spider-Man or Wolverine title.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 July 2014 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

As I have mentioned before, during my time on WONDER WOMAN, editor Paul Kupperberg told me that not a month went by without him receiving a pitch for a miniseries or graphic novel that began "Wonder Woman gets raped, and..."

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version