Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: New Gods & Earth 2 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2014 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 1  

Yes, right after Pearl Harbor All-Star did a few war based stories but as the war dragged on they shied away from them. They returned to the war towards the end with a couple of war themed stories, one of which involved returning veterans. But those were not the normal fair for the title.

I don't recall the JSA end the war story.. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 2  

The mosy chilling Alan Scott story involving ending the war was from All Star Squadron 19 and 20, with the illusion being part of Brainwave's doing.
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2014 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 3  

WWII was not a major part of their Golden Age history. I think it makes
far more sense to have them perpetually 20 years older than the
current heroes, and simply avoid mentioning the war. There's no
reason their history needs to be tied to WWII, and the convolutions
necessary to explain it far outweigh any benefit from maintaining that
link.

SER: I think it's more than WWII makes the JSA a unique set of heroes
(and if Batman and Superman were frozen in the 40s, they'd be
different characters as well). WWII is, in a way, like the Victorian era
when it comes to genre fiction. Not only is it familiar but it is static.

Having characters active in an eternal "20 years ago" risks anchoring
them with topical references... primarily to distinguish them from the
characters published today.

If you just introduce the JSA as "older" heroes, then I find them
redundant -- why aren't they all in the JLA or vice versa? The Teen
Titans worked because they were juvenile heroes.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2014 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
SER: I think it's more than WWII makes the JSA a unique set of heroes 
(and if Batman and Superman were frozen in the 40s, they'd be 
different characters as well). WWII is, in a way, like the Victorian era 
when it comes to genre fiction. Not only is it familiar but it is static. 

Having characters active in an eternal "20 years ago" risks anchoring 
them with topical references... primarily to distinguish them from the 
characters published today.

If you just introduce the JSA as "older" heroes, then I find them 
redundant -- why aren't they all in the JLA or vice versa? The Teen 
Titans worked because they were juvenile heroes.

How would making their prime an eternal "20 years ago" anchor 
them with topical references? They would be on the same sliding time scale as the other heroes. The references would slide like the ones referring to Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne's childhood. An old enemy wouldn't have to be dressed like it's 1994. 

Remember the JSA were from Earth 2, they aren't redundant there and the only appeared on Earth 1 once a year as guest stars. 

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

Getting back to Bashing Roy Thomas...

My problem with having the Quality Comics characters originate on Earth-2 was that it was pointless. Earth-2 had tons of WWII-era superheroes already. Why do that story in the first place? Didn't Thomas have enough toys to play with already?

I didn't -- and don't -- care that it contradicted continuity from that 1970s JLA story. Most of the time, as JB aptly pointed out, Thomas was slavishly devoted to continuity. He bent over backwards to ensure that no ASQ story contradicted any DC story published in the 1940s. Particularly his beloved ALL-STAR COMICS.

Why? It's not like the vast majority of comics readers in the 1980s had ever read those '40s stories. And the overwhelming majority of those stories weren't exactly Great Works Of Art to begin with. So who cares if they don't match up perfectly? What exactly is gained by working so hard on something so irrelevant?

As for keeping the JSA in the '40s or putting them in a sliding timeline: I think the JSA are very much tied to their era. Take them away from the '40s and they become only an older version of the JLA with nothing else to distinguish them. 

So -- to be nice to Thomas for once -- the Ian Karkull retarded-aging-energy thing didn't bother me. Of course, DC could've done the simple thing and just stopped doing present-day stories with the JSA. (No more JLA-JSA team-ups -- which, after CRISIS, we stopped getting anyway!)

But of course DC and Thomas were committed to JSA appearances in INFINITY, INC., which I think was supposed to occur in "real time." Given how boring INFINITY, INC. was, this was a poor choice.

Re: the multiverse in superhero stories. It doesn't bug me as long as the universes are very different from each other. The best ASQ story? The JSA versus the Marvel Family. Types of characters that are very different belong in very different "worlds."

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2014 at 1:48am | IP Logged | 6  

My knowledge of Pre-Crisis DC is still very spotty (though I'm changing that) but I always liked the idea of the Fawcett, Charlton and Quality characters existing on their own worlds and staying on those worlds. It's okay for them to meet up with the JLA on occasion (like the Earth 2 JSA) but it's clear reading the original stories that Blue Beetle, The Question, Captain Marvel and Plastic Man weren't built to function on the same world as Superman and Batman. Is it any wonder that they became obscured and redundant when DC tried to pull them all into the DCU proper?

There have been some fine stories written with those characters living in the DCU, (I think Justice League Unlimited did about as good a job as possible) but I think they would have flourished better if they were allowed to stay in their own little universes. However....I'm not sure if the fans would accept this given the pathological need for inter-connectivity nowadays...

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2014 at 2:09am | IP Logged | 7  

I had another solution for keeping the JSA older (but not ancient) AND keeping them tied to WW II (as well as coming of age in the 30's, retiring and having children in the 50's and 60's, etc.)--

Just establish that the parallel worlds are out of sync with one another and that Earth 2, at present, has not aged past the 70's (another era that's fun to play with).

That means that the Huntress is a young woman who's the daughter of Batman and Catwoman (as she should be), gray-haired Clark Kent is the editor-in-chief at the Daily Planet, and great characters like Jay Garrick/Flash and Alan Scott/Green Lantern are wise elder statesmen who sometimes travel to Earth One to visit with their younger namesakes. ("So, it's 2014 here, but only 1977 back where we came from. Weird. Oh well, let's fight the Shade and the Shadow Thief!")

I still find it mind-blowing that DC destroyed the multiverse because it was "too confusing" and then immediately started their ELSEWORLDS line!

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2014 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 8  

I didn't like the concept of Earth-2 when I started collecting comics; I was a full fledged Marvel Zombie in the worst possible sense. Now, I see the brilliance of the concept. Earth-2 allowed creators to tell stories they simply couldn't on Earth-1. The basic story of Batman reforming Catwoman, they get married, have a child that becomes the Huntress, etc, is a fantastic idea. < id="hc_extension_off">< id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< id="hc_extension_grayscale">< id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< id="hc_extension_invert">< id="hc_extension_invert_back">< id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">

You make a good point about Elseworlds. They could have simply managed and structured the existing cosmology in a separate line and called it Earth-2, Earth-X, etc. I think it's incredible cynical to feel that even casual fans couldn't quickly learn to grasp the idea that Captain Marvel lives on Earth-X, and so on. I got this stuff as a child. 

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2014 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 9  

Brian O'Neill:
You're right, Captain Triumph turned up later.  I'll have to go back and look through Thomas's letter columns in ALL-STAR SQUADRON to see what he said specifically, but I recall him mentioning 'rights issues as an explanation for why some Quality heroes could be used in the title, and others couldn't. Likewise, when someone, after the Captain Marvel 'family' had appeared, asked if Bulletman and other Fawcett heroes might show up, Thomas claimed that DC's rights to use the non-Shazam-powered characters had 'lapsed'. Since Captain Triumph was another one of DC's acquisitions from Quality, the rights to that character must have expired, as well. Not that RT ever wrote the characters out of the year 1942, anyway!
----------------------------------------
This may have been the DC party line but it's actually false. All the pre-1950 Quality characters are actually public domain. The only ones DC has rights to are the issues of titles from after that time. So, they have the rights to the latter Plastic Man, the Dick Dillin Blackhawks etc. About the only character they own outright is Doll-Girl, all but one of her appearances were renewed. So, of course, she was revealed to have been killed off-panel when they brought the characters back as the Freedom Fighters. The statement about Fawcett is likewise almost completely 180 degrees wrong. Almost all of the Fawcett characters are public domain, the only titles renewed were ones that featured the Marvel Family heavily and even that is spotty. I think this is partly why DC spends a lot of time on Black Adam, his one GA appearance  was one of the issues renewed. Spy Smasher, Bulletman, Mr. Scarlet are mostly free & clear. Recent Sherlock Holmes lawsuit drives it even further home, that just because some stories are covered by copyright, those cannot prevent fair use and derivative works based on those that are public domain. Outside of traveling to Library of Congress to do the actual research in 1980s, he would have to rely on what the company told him, now those records can be researched online.

Likewise, the evidence supports that DC has spent money on other characters over the years that can be had for free: the 1940s Archie heroes (copyrights not renewed), the Charlton characters (improper or no copyright notation along with no formal registration), THUNDER Agents (ditto), the Spirit (no renewals). The cynic in me suggests this is why the Charlton and Quality characters have been used mostly in name only the last several years, to lock down the trademark while creating characters they DO own.

Ironically, they may own some rights regarding the Nedor characters which are generally treated by everyone as being public domain when the first couple of issues featuring several characters' origin stories were actually renewed. The company had been sold and re-sold over the years with the publishing arms being split. Ultimately, for part of the publishing empire to end up under Time-Warner. The big question is what was included in the various sales? What path did those copyrights follow or are they orphan works, overlooked and forgotten?

Other public domain DC characters: Doctor Occult and a few others that appeared before Superman, the Wesley Dodds Sandman who first appeared in World's Fair Comics which was not renewed.

Marvel is also iffy: Some of their renewals of 1940s titles were outside of the 28 year window making the legality questionable. No renewal on Marvel Comics #1, the original pulp appearances of Ka-zar

Edited by Ed Love on 21 June 2014 at 7:38am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2014 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 10  

Robert, I am right there with you on the brilliance of the Earth-2 idea, especially where it concerns the Huntress. She's been a favorite character of mine going back many a year, specifically for the reasons you state.

Eric, I like the idea of E-2 being locked in the 1970's, if only because you'd now get two, count 'em two, archaic eras with every purchase of a JSA comic! :-) The cars! The fashions! The sepia-toned flashbacks moving to the garish tie-dyes and floral prints! It would be like the Wizard of Oz every issue! 

One element of this discussion I'm find interesting is that there are a number of solutions being offered to problems that were solved, repeatedly in the books themselves. The main one being: "The JSA are too damn old." Except, with the Ian Karkull thing in place, they no longer had any "true ages." They were just Older. They were immediately removed from the ever-widening gap of time between Now and WW II and set in the same "eternal present" as everyone else. 

You'd still have the problem that Wally somehow went from ten years old with the Titans to a dad in his early thirties with ten-year-old kids of his own, thereby implying that everyone else has been aged the same number of years, but that's not a problem specific to the JSA anymore. Those who wish to then say, "Okay, Jay was Ian Karkulled to fifty-something when he met Wally. He's got to be 80 now, right?" have to acknowledge that Batman was in costume 10 years before he took on Robin (from the Red Hood origin of the Joker) and also knew Wally when he was ten. If he got started fighting crime when he was 20, he's 50 now, right? Ah, the Implications Game... Still, we'd be dealing with a Jay Garrick eternally in his 50's of thereabout rather than one who's twenty plus however-long-it's-been-since-WW II.

Yes, in a couple of decades, creators could have started doing stories about the team being effectively immortal, but that's hardly the same problem as "you guys should have been dead 15 years ago." Granted, it also has the problem that they could easily run across a villain tomorrow with "Magic Ian Karkull Radiation Removal" powers. That story would have to be written with someone with an axe to grind at the characters' expense however, and how likely is that in a line of work as professional and above-board as the comics industry, I ask you? :-)

Then the Crisis came along and the "problem adults" of the JSA were shipped off to Roy Thomas' "Forever Stuck in the Ring of the Nibelung" Hell (right there next to Roy himself) and hopefully forgotten about forever, right? Except no, about 6 years later, someone realized that with the Ring dimension being magic and all, we could pull them out and they'd be young again, or at least the same age as everyone else. In order to keep that Elder Statesmen vibe going, their next regular title allowed for them to have aged a number of years since being back in our world, but then they were eternally whatever those ages were, again the same as everyone else. If Batman's always 30, Jay would always be 55 or so. ("Drive 55 and stay alive!") 

Again, really, problem solved. Except no, it wasn't, because no writer of any consequence these days can abide writing something they themselves haven't "reimagined" according to their own design. So, yeah, the JSA were once again "20-plus-however-long-its-been-since-WW II" with the magic being used to fudge a bit here and there, and now they're damn near decrepit. They've got Ahlzheimer's. They've got heart disease. They're dying left and right. They didn't have to be written this way. Two "Get Out of the Retirement Home Free" cards were written for them, but no...

That's what the team became About. They were just the DCU geriatrics ward at that point, unable to be perceived on any other level. They're not individual characters. They're not interesting in any other way except that they're OLD. "Let's explore that!" the writers titter. "Let's deconstruct what it's like to be OLD in the DCU!" Forget that there are decades to explore between 50 and decrepit. Old people are just old. 

Of course, this is all moot as DC has once again "solved" the problem we're discussing here, this time via complete reboot. The Nu52 JSA isn't the oldest team in the DCU. It's almost the youngest. There is a multiverse apparently, but it is not widely explored. Their concept of "Earth-2" is essentially a pallid New Gods knock-off book built around the idea that Darkseid's lesser-known minions have conquered the world and a new, younger, more hip and with-it (okay, now I'm stuck in the 70's) JSA is formed to protect the scraps of what's left. Which is a middling-level concept for a book, but it is not the JSA. What is there in that book to draw a fan of the Golden Age? Or a fan of Earth-2? Or a fan of the whole tedious "Dying Elder Statesmen of a corrupt and ugly DCU" book we got more recently? Are we supposed to get all tingly over the names of these unrecognizable characters' civilian i.d.'s? "Ooooh, this shiftless loser guy has the same NAME as Jay Garrick! That is SO cool!" I don't see it myself...

With the set-up as it's currently given, I think they probably could, if they so desired, simply go to the next Earth over and simply declare that it has all the WW II era JSA members living on it, complete with all the Pre-Crisis history and such. Any of the suggestions folks have been making in this thread could be implemented. 

I hope they don't, however. The people currently in power and the people they employ would be largely incapable of doing such a book well, Paul Levitz himself being a possible exception, of course... I was enjoying his bizarre Not Really Power Girl and the Huntress book for awhile... Unfortunately, the melange of New Gods, Earth-2, but not really Earth-2, and ugly modern comic aesthetics just didn't hold my interest. Seriously, with comics these days, I can spend four bucks on something else and come away a whole lot happier. Skip a comic, you've got lunch the next day.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 June 2014 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 11  

All the pre-1950 Quality characters are actually public domain.

••

Not so sure about the use of present tense, there. DC has made sufficient use of the characters to have some claim to them, surely?

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2014 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
Just establish that the parallel worlds are out of sync with one another and that Earth 2, at present, has not aged past the 70's (another era that's fun to play with).

The first appearance of Earth 2 established that the worlds were in sync time wise. 

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version