Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: Underrated Comic Runs (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2014 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 1  

I agree with Jason and Bill. SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE was my
introduction to Guy Davis.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

And I'll agree wit Jason, Bill, and Wallace. SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE was excellent. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2014 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thriller w/ art by Trevor Von Eeden

It didn't last long but I enjoyed it.
Back to Top profile | search

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

Matt Reed wrote: Maybe the run in it's entirety, but it's hard to consider "Demon in a Bottle" underrated considering how many times Marvel has gone back to that particular well.

Matt, I fully agree that Marvel strip mined the contents of "Demon In A Bottle" and Tony's alcoholism to the point where it became one of his defining features. This is one of the reasons why I discontinued reading IRON MAN after JRjr and Michelinie's superb run. Their 25+ issues after DIAB made it pretty clear that Tony had a good handle on his problems with alcohol and had moved on to better things. But I guess subsequent writers thought Tony Stark was more interesting when he had an "edge" to him and so they brought his addiction back to the front burner... I guess the folks at Marvel though that being a millionaire playboy inventor genius superhero wasn't interesting enough to keep the readers coming back issue after issue (?)

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2014 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

The shamefully neglected HARD TIME by Steve Gerber, Mary Skrenes, and Brian Hurtt.

Jamie Delano and John Ridgeway's run on HELLBLAZER (#1-40). It's been overshadowed by Garth Ennis's run but I prefer Delano's writing style.

Paul Chadwick's CONCRETE, much praised at the time (late '80s-mid '90s) but which seems to have been mostly forgotten. (See also Mark Verheiden's THE AMERICAN.)

I'm sure more will come to mind later.

Brian Kelly
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2014 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm not sure what qualifies a "run" as under-rated, but I'll mention a couple that I liked that I've discovered weren't to highly thought of.

The dozen or so issues of Marvel's Star Wars by David Michelinie, Walter Simonson and Tom Palmer were/are favorites of mine!  Great stories (and art) at a time when there were probably a lot of constraints in terms of what Marvel could be allowed to do with those characters.

The 4 or 5 stories of Man-Bat by Michael Golden and Bob Rozakis from Batman Family!   Maybe it's just sentimentality, but I still love reading these stories and absolutely love-love-love Michael Golden's art style at that time and how he drew Man-Bat!  

I assume this is not the case here, but considering its cancellation, JB's X-Men Hidden Years!  Don't think I need to qualify this series/run here.  If this series wasn't under-rated then, as I mentioned earlier, I don't really know what the qualifier(s) is.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version