Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Underrated Comic Runs (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

DC- Kyle Baker's Plastic Man. Hip, inventive, fast-paced, & snarky to all the right people. I was initially put off by the lack of any real connection to or affection shown for the Jack Cole original, but the material pays off. Reading through it recently, I was surprised that DC allowed Baker this much leeway at a time when the wannabe-Morrisons and Millers at DC were making Plas immortal, singling him out as the "most powerful among us," and all the rest of the crap we were being fed about the character at that time. And thanks be that it's nothing like the Foglio garbage we were given at the end of Crisis. God, that was awful...

Marvel- Gee, is there any run of any series Marvel's ever done that the Marvel Fanboys haven't already lauded to the heavens? Spellbinder, maybe? Slapstick? I'm sure they have their devotees... Um, how about the David Anthony Kraft/Ed Hannigan era of the Defenders? Not weird enough for the Gerber fans, not violent and twisted enough for the DeMatteis crowd yet to come, these stories focusing on shopping, coffee-making, frisbee games, and the occasional trip to Asgard to rescue a beloved friend hit just the right note with me way back when. So much fun to be had. And yes, I agree. It's a crying shame the Hulk isn't killing people right and left throughout... Hey, you can't have everything...

Independent- Cuti and Staton's E-Man! Is this run under-rated? I don't know, but I do know that it isn't celebrated enough. There is genuine wit, charm, and character flowing like a river here. And hey, if you pick up the right issues, Cuti and Byrne's Rog 2000 as a back-up! Good stuff... :-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 2  

Bill Catellier: Batman is something I'm only now reading at length. I
had only read a few scattered issues previously.  Possible that I'm just
way late and the rest of you know what I missed!

=====
Bill, that would have been my fourth, if I allowed for one. Between his
10 NIGHTS OF THE BEAST and DEATH IN THE FAMILY story lines,
as well as the CULT mini series, Starlin wrote some great and unusual
Batman stories. Good reading.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

Cary Bates, Jim Shooter writing. Mike Grell pencilling run of Superboy.
I'm not sure if it's underrated but I don't hear much about that run. 

Edited by Doug Centers on 09 June 2014 at 6:16pm
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

Doug, I agree.  That run of Superboy and the Legion is as underrated as the Levitz run is overrated.  I think it gets less attention in part because they were hamstrung by an editorial edict of no continued stories and usually two stories per issue.  If Shooter had been allowed to do multi-part stories at that point in his career, he would have come up with some really great stuff.  Even in the context of 12-pagers he did very well.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 09 June 2014 at 6:31pm

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 5  

Stephen- I've read 10 Nights of the Beast and only part of Death...   I've heard of CULT.  I'll look into  getting that as well. Is it collected?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN by DeFalco/Frenz.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

I've heard of CULT.  I'll look into  getting that as well. Is it collected?
====
Yep, but I believe it's currently out of print. I'm sure you could find it
with a little bit of looking. It has great art by. Bernie Wrightson as well.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

Ok. Thanks for the info. 

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

DeFalco/Frenz Thor and Thunderstrike. I really loved those comics. Thor was better.The Last American. I will never sell those issues.Ordway era All-Star Squadron. Absolutely stunning artwork on every page. Plus, one of my favorite comic book covers is from that era. These comics fooled me into thinking comics from the Golden Age were good. After several thousands of dollars in reprints later, I learned that was damn lie.

Edited by William Lukash on 09 June 2014 at 8:03pm

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

I agree with many of the choices listed already and I'd like to add one of my own: the far too short-lived (10 issues, I think) Justice Society of America series from the early 90s, drawn by Mike Parobeck. The whole series was great fun.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2014 at 3:20am | IP Logged | 11  

Off the top of my head--

THE FLASH by Bates & Novick--This was one of my very favorite comics when I was a kid, but I came in halfway through their (very long) run. Lately, I've been buying their earlier issues and I find I still love it! Family-friendly, self-contained, consistent art, and always a little twist. I wish we had a dozen just like it today.

THE INCREDIBLE HULK by Wein & Trimpe, then Sal Buscema--Likewise, I remember these when I was a kid and have found a few in the back issue bins lately and whenever I find something written by Len Wein, I am struck by the quality. Besides introducing Wolverine, I think these issues by Wein had just the right tone and touch for the Hulk. In general, Wein is highly underrated.

SPIDER-WOMAN by Wolfman, then Gruenwald & Infantino--I loved the moody tone of these issues and think this was Infantino's best Marvel work. But I admit I could be biased since this series took place in Los Angeles where I live and that added a little bit of fun for me.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA by Englehart & Dillin--These double-sized dozen or so issues are not only the very best JLA issues ever, they're some of the best comics of all time! Unfortunately, they may never be collected because, as Englehart told in an interview, present-day DC doesn't think anybody wants to see Dillin artwork these days. I DO!!!

SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK by Byrne--This book doesn't get the love it deserves, even around here! I love this book and I'm sure I've re-read it more than any other series. It's the best!

Edited by Eric Jansen on 10 June 2014 at 3:23am

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2014 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 12  

1. Secret Six - villainy goodness.
  2. Marvel Knights - great non team book plus Klaus Janson inking Daredevil
  3. Wildcats 3.0 - really want to know where Casey was going with this one

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version