Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Underrated Comic Runs (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
Roger Stern up to issue #285 or so. That stuff was GREAT!

It really was.  I can't decide if it's underrated or not though.  I DON'T see it talked about enough...but I can't think of any other Avengers runs that really seem to be considered better. (With the exception of the Kree-Skrull War.)

QUOTE:
2. Jackson Guice's run on New Mutants (with Chris Claremont, natch). I really liked the artwork, most of it under the inks of Kyle Baker. It culminated in a great double-sized issue with the team taking on Magus with the help of Professor X.

Oohh!  Yeah.  After loving the McLeod era of this title it completely fell apart for me with Sienkiewicz.  I stuck with it because I wanted to like it SO BAD.  It all came back together with Guice's run.  I felt like the title was exactly where it needed to be...then Louise Simonson and Brett Blevins made it fall apart for me again.

Back to Top profile | search

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 2  

Ditko's Shade: The Changing Man.

Really. Great art and story, very reminiscent in my mind of Ditko's efforts on Dr. Strange nearly 15 years earlier.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 3  

The 1980s' "Suicide Squad" by John Ostrander, and Roger Stern's run and Bob Harras's run on "The Avengers."

Edited by Matt Hawes on 09 June 2014 at 10:29am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

Jesus Garcia wrote:
Ditko's Shade: The Changing Man.

I agree.  Some exellent art and interesting concepts there.  And it was the last time Ditko ever plotted stories for either Marvel or DC.  After that, he stuck to being an art robot.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

I honestly can't think of a run I think was underrated. Obviously all the issues I've read I either liked or disliked. If I liked them, I assumed everyone liked them. If that is true,They wouldn't be underrated. The same goes for the runs I disliked.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

Gil- I liked Negation as well. Still wish the story had finished. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Meredith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 7  

Steve Englehart/ Al Milgrom - Captain Marvel – Funky sci-fi stories set in the Negative Zone with some of the best work of Milgrom’s career, especially when inked by KlausJanson or Terry Austin.  The post Engelhart issues, still by Milgrom and scripted by Scott Elderman are also great.

George Perez / GeneDay – Marvel Two in One – IMHO, this is Perez at the peak of 70’s Marvelwork. Gene Day complements the pencils perfectly, as he did to Mr Byrne’s andJerry Bingham’s work on M2in1.

Bob Burden – Flaming Carrot– Beautifully unique black/white art complementing stories of inspired weirdness.UT!

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 8  

I was a big fan of Karl Kesel's run on Daredevil from #353-364, art by Cary Nord and later Gene Colan. It was sort of a first run at what Waid later did with the title, trying to get away from aping Miller's take on the character and get back to the original.

Speaking of Kesel, I also liked a lot of his Superboy, particularly the Kamandi arc.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 9  

Master of Kung Fu - specifically that run with Doug Moench teamed with Mike Zeck and Gene Day (who later took over the penciling chores prior to his untimely death). Loved that run and considered the title to be the real antidote to all the over-the-top superhero action elsewhere in Marvel's rotation of comics.

Spectacular Spider-Man - The Bill Mantlo run with art by Ed Hannigan and Al Milgrom (where we were introduced to characters like Cloak & Dagger and Debra Whitman) impressed me.

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

I loved the Ostrander/ McDonnell/ Kesel run on Suicide Squad; the O'Neill/ Cowan/ Magyar run on The Question; Grant/ Breyfogle/ (mostly) Mitchell on Detective. Roy Thomas and Jackson Guice did a great (if short) run on Dr Strange; the Helfer/ Sienkiewicz and Helfer/ Baker runs on The Shadow. Does the Nocenti/ JRjr Daredevil run count as underrated?

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

John Byrne's DOOM PATROL
Alan Davis' EXCALIBUR
Jerry Ordway's POWER OF SHAZAM

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

Mantlo & Golden on Micronauts 1-12.