Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: The 143 punch... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2014 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 1  

I had been following the Claremont/Byrne/Austin UXM since college, and was stationed in Germany when UXM 143 came out. I was VERY disappointed, but read (in FF letters column I think) that JB would be moving over to take over writing and art on the FF, so I at least had something new to look forward to.

Like many others, I followed the Claremont/Cockrum run for a while but wasn't as impressed.  The FF under JB was awesome!

I should note that among folks that I kept in contact with who were following the UXM began - in general - to be very critical of JB for "abandoning" their favorite magazine. And from that point on, the trend seemed to be more and more negative towards JB. I remember one younger guy in particular who swore he would never buy a book by JB anymore because he felt "betrayed".  

Since this was the pre-internet days, and I wasn't heavily involved in comics fandom, I was somewhat mystified by it.  After all, JB was right there on the magazine stand (or spinner rack) in the FF, still putting out great work.
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2014 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 2  

I still loved the X-Men after JB but there was a certain "This Is How It Should Be" feeling with JB, Chris Claremont, and Terry Austin. But then again, I feel that way whenever JB draws ANY character from Marvel.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2014 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 3  

I wish there was more JB X-men but, from what I have heard from JB, JB wasn't getting the X-men stories that he was looking for or the stories didn't feel right to him. At least on the FF he had a better chance of that as he was writing and drawing.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 May 2014 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 4  

…from what I have heard from JB, JB wasn't getting the X-men stories that he was looking for or the stories didn't feel right to him.

••

The frustration lay in the fact that toward the end, say my last year or so on the book, I was doing most of the plotting, but when Chris scripted the issues, he used scenes for other than what I intended. Important elements were lost, and most often without the chance to slip them in somewhere else.

This was nothing new, of course. I have mentioned before how Chris' scripting of a scene in the Savage Land gave birth almost by itself to the "Cyclops is a dick" stance adopted by so many X-Fans. That was definitely not the intended purpose of the scene -- and the irony there was that the intended purpose was Chris's!! He scripted the scene against his own intent!

This is a big downside of the "Marvel Method." If the writer is off his/her game that day, or in the mood to write a particular kind of scene even if that scene is not in the art, things can wander off down strange paths. Like I've said, Chris scripted ONE panel differently from what I intended, and completely gutted my plot for "Days of Future Past." It can be that easy!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2014 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 5  

JB: This is a big downside of the "Marvel Method." If the writer is off his/her game that day, or in the mood to write a particular kind of scene even if that scene is not in the art, things can wander off down strange paths. Like I've said, Chris scripted ONE panel differently from what I intended, and completely gutted my plot for "Days of Future Past." It can be that easy!

Ironically, I think this level of minutia (for me at least) accounts for why your run on the X-Men with Chris remains so fascinating. It's so well done and every little detail counts-- evidenced by the way the creators can still describe putting so much thought (and counter-thought?) into them. Looking closer continually reveals something new. Frustrating? Sure sounds like it! But all the same, great job!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version