Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: "I really hate Superman" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 1  

I love that this topic continues. It means nothing horrible has happened today and we're just talkin' comics.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 2  

Unfortunately, there was also a slow and steady seepage into the industry of people who came from this pool, and who began altering the characters to suit their tastes, and the tastes of a very small portion of the audience. Superheroes began to change, and as they did, the sales began to shrink. (Sales had been shrinking steadily since the Forties, but there was a definite acceleration.)

In the end, as I have said before, it starts to sound very much like the cries of drug addicts, who hate whatever substance they happen to be hooked on, but who cannot give it up.

No truer words were ever spoken. What I can't understand is how come many (if not most) pros and fans these days can't connect the dots between the change in superhero comics over the last 30+ years and the decline in sales?
Back to Top profile | search

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2014 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 3  

Should we not be happy that he hasn't tried to change the character because he doesn't like him? I don't particularly like Superman either and have only read the book when creators I like (e.g. JB) were on the book. If I was offered the book (no chance of that ever happening of course), I would turn it down as I have no stories in me and just don't get the character the way other people do.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2014 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 4  

Lots of creators do inappropriate things with characters in commissions that would be objectionable in official published work, but I wouldn't fault them for doing them in private commissions (for example, nude Supergirls by Jim Mooney).

-----

This reminds me of seeing Curt Swan's Superman illustrations for the republication of Larry Niven's "Man of Steel, Women of Kleenex" in Penthouse Comix as a teen, and realizing many years later, when I could appreciate who Curt Swan was, that it was actually his work and not just someone aping his style.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2014 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'd bet that if Frank Cho did manage to get a cover assignment or otherwise landed a Superman assignment, he'd treat it as a professional job and no one reading it would even realize that he didn't like the character.  He would probably write a respectful version of the character, too, in an authorized DC book.  Probably not the first guy you'd call up when there's an opening on the book, but I'm sure people who "love" Superman have done much worse with the character.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2014 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 6  

"I'd bet that if Frank Cho did manage to get a cover assignment or otherwise landed a Superman assignment, he'd treat it as a professional job and no one reading it would even realize that he didn't like the character.  "

And this is different from a prostitute .. how? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2014 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 7  

He's not having sex for money?

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 April 2014 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 8  

He's not having sex for money?

•••

What an amazingly simple world you must live in.

(Whether or not Cho is prostituting himself is a moot point. Comic books are a form of commercial art. Stitch those two words together, and we have a version of Lily Tomlin's one-liner about how they don't call it "Show Art.")

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 April 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 9  

I lost any respect I had for Frank Cho when he drew this. So tasteless.

•••

Hey, at least he referenced Batman being Gay (and a pedophile). You have not truly reached the Olympian levels of kewl in fanboyland until you've done that!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2014 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 10  

"I'd bet that if Frank Cho did manage to get a cover assignment or otherwise landed a Superman assignment, he'd treat it as a professional job and no one reading it would even realize that he didn't like the character.  "

And this is different from a prostitute .. how? 

-----

1) Stop stigmatizing sex workers.
2) Does a commercial artist have to like all the products he works with? 

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2014 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 11  

Exactly my point - every artist in the industry produces art for money.  And I'm sure many of them have accepted work that they did simply for the paycheck, not for any love of the characters.  When someone like John Buscema did it we lauded him for his professionalism.  The difference is that now there are a countless number of blogs and webs sites wanting quotes and details about every story, artist or writer.

I don't agree with Frank Cho's opinion, but it doesn't really affect my appreciation of his work, and doesn't make me see him any differently than anyone one else (be it an artist, musician or writer) who sells their work.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2014 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 12  

I don't mean to liken Frank Cho to a prostitute. Far from it ... it seems Frank Cho doesn't draw characters he doesn't like, unless its to lampoon it. But Andrew Farago's description of what Frank Cho should behave is a portrait of a very cynical person. 

Hey, who exactly is the fan of who, here?

Edited by Joe Zhang on 07 April 2014 at 10:16pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version