Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: "I really hate Superman" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 1  

I've been a fan of Superman since I was a little kid from the TV series, movies, and cartoons, but I have a strong aversion to the Weisinger-era Superman, and I think a lot of people who say they don't like Superman refer to elements from that period.
Back to Top profile | search

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 2  

This is as big a non-issue as there's ever been, isn't it?

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 3  

Stan Lee also doesn't like things about
Superman. He thinks his power of flight is
ridiculous. Thor's ability to fly is much
more scientific. He tells people this
too.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 4  

The preference for drawing big, bosom-y women in bikinis, though... to each his own.

----

At the very least he understands how gravity works and that voluptuous women have body fat distributed in various places and it's not all in their chests.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 5  

My introduction to Superman was the Super Friends cartoon than the first movie. As much as I think the first film is a good film. I hated the way Clark acted like a fool. 

After seeing those I was turned off until I saw George Reeves as Superman and the Max Fleischer cartoons. I LOVED LOVED LOVED both of those. 

I couldn't understand what happened between those and when I discovered the Super Friends. I eventually found out about the Seduction of the Innocent.

As I mentioned in my previous post Kingdom Come resurrected my interest in Superman. But of course DC killed it again.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 6  

And he's one of the biggest names in comics.

••

I'd hardly call Frank Cho one of the biggest names in comics. More like one of the smallest. Off hand, I can think of only Stan Lee, Len Wein and Al Vey as having smaller names.

Oh... is that not what you meant?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 7  

Wouldn't surprise me if he felt the same way about a lot of superhero characters. And let's face it, a lot of the "stars" currently writing and drawing superhero books don't like the genre anyways, and it shows in their work. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 8  

I think some of you are correct in saying he is talking more like a fan than a professional . I think some of what he said has crossed our minds at one point or another and then we realize that without Superman and his super powers how long would it have taken to get comics to where they went?

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 9  

Those two Cho pages from the link are just...just terrible. Who, besides forty year old fan boys who didn't know when to quit, would enjoy something like that? I get that it was for a private collector, but wow. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 10  

Now I'm trying to think of a bigger name in comics than José Luis García-López.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 11  

This doesn't exactly strike me as a problem. He'll just continue drawing what he likes. I'm more concerned with writers who seemingly despise characters and yet will write them for the big bucks.

A long while back I heard a rumour that Warren Ellis didn't like superheroes and to be honest hadn't really put much stock in it. I'd just assumed he'd been misquoted, or remark taken out of context, if indeed it was even true at all, given the way the internet can twist things.

Then a couple of months back my little brother lent me the Avengers graphic novel he wrote. (Endless Wartime) And if he wasn't my brother I might have burned it after reading! As every avenger in it was portrayed as an unlikeable a$$hole, with most of them not even seeming to like being near each other let alone wanting to be a team. It also seemed to have some thinly veiled contempt for Cap's stance on killing with Wolverine being a mouthpiece for the author to rant on about it.

What was most annoying is that every time I've been in a bookstore since, ( not even a comic store) it's prominently displayed front and centre in the comic book section. Along with Ultimates and various Bendis books.
And people wonder why we can have an Avengers movie that is seen by as many people as it was, without any real crossover into following up the books? If I'd picked that up as my first avengers comic, I'd never want to see any of the characters again!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 12  

Stan Lee also doesn't like things about Superman. He thinks his power of flight is ridiculous. Thor's ability to fly is much more scientific. He tells people this too.

••

That's probably why the Hulk only flew for one issue!

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version