Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: OT: Retro vs Modern superhero art (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2014 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 1  

Something I struggle with in regards to a lot of modern superhero art (mainly at Marvel) is that I like a lot of it on a technical level (the talent level, in general, is the best its ever been) but often find that I don't think the styles of certain artists fit the genre. If you look at all the best superhero artist of yore, regardless of style or detail, there seemed to me a commonality. (I could go into this is vast detail, but I think most of you get what I'm saying.)

Perhaps many of them have simply dropped a lot of techniques that Jack Kirby and a few others pioneered (or were never influenced by them) and this is what puts me off?  A lot of the stuff I'm seeing, particularly on something like the current Avengers title, would only work for me in a pure sci-fi book. Anyone else feel this way? It's ironic that, at least to me, a dour group of superheroes standing around drawn in some of these modern styles looks even more ridiculous than some of the cos-play I've seen.

I'm actually very eclectic in my taste when it comes to artists (Moebius and Carl Barks are just two of my heroes, for instance) but I seem to have a very hard time accepting certain styles that I don't think fit a particular genre. Case in point, I adore Moebius, but most of his Marvel poster work that he did in the late 80's doesn't work for me. He was absolutely PERFECT for Galactus/Silver Surfer, but Spider-Man?
Back to Top profile | search

Thad Studebaker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2014 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 2  

Some of today's artists at Marvel might be technically proficient, but they are utterly boring.  Using the recent Thanos storyline in the Avengers as an example Thor agreed to disarm himself and threw Mjolnir into space.  Unbeknownst to his foe he threw it towards a nearby star, using the gravity well to slingshot Mjolnir back to him and through the torso of his foe.  It was a scene bereft of excitement.  I imagined how the scene would have been handled by Kirby or Simonson.  Mjolnir would have torn the fabric of time and space asunder as it streaked back towards Thor.  That is what is missing at Marvel and God help me I can't understand why.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2014 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 3  

Using the recent Thanos storyline in the Avengers as an example Thor agreed to disarm himself and threw Mjolnir into space. Unbeknownst to his foe he threw it towards a nearby star, using the gravity well to slingshot Mjolnir back to him and through the torso of his foe.

••

Does Thor's hammer no longer return to him automatically?

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2014 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 4  

*automagically

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2014 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 5  

I think Kirby might have had Mjolnir banging the foe senseless rather than going through his torso.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2014 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 6  

I think Kirby might have had Mjolnir banging the foe senseless rather than going through his torso.

••

Funny -- reading the description, I automatically imagined the bad guy was somehow transparent, and the hammer passed thru him without doing any harm. Silly me!

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2014 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 7  

When Marvel Comics went out of business due to bankruptcy a decade or so ago, the new company that took over simply didn't know how to make SuperHero Comicbooks. It's been downhill ever since.

I tend to think they threw away the recipe ON PURPOSE.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2014 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 8  

Yeah, I'm re-reading JB's Generations saga, and I picked up Alan Davis' collection of recent Marvel annuals, and it was such a breath of fresh air from all the dour modern comics I've been sampling online. I could read that style of superhero fiction forever. Could it possibly be that because I read books and other genre's of comics, I never get tired of "old school"?  

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2014 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

Modern art vs retro art... to me there's something MORE DYNAMIC about retro art... the storytelling doesn't suffer either!

Also and excuse to show some great Busceme panel art!!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2014 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think what bugs me about the modern style is that it often looks like they're trying to mix pinups with sequential storytelling. The storytelling is just far superior in that Buscema page.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2014 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

Also... Retro covers compared to Modern covers.... all due respect to the artist.... just doesn't layout as well as the Buscema cover:

There's more to comic book art than drawing great figures!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2014 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

I've seen some comments in other threads that modern comic book artists draw as if they're shooting a TV show or a movie. That's what I thought when I saw the "modern vs Buscema" Thor art above. The modern page is centered around the money-shot/pin-up* of Thor.  It's pretty, but boring, and the page reminds me of storyboards. Buscema's page is action & drama in every panel and is comic book art.

*Good call by Robert White on the pin-up problem.

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version