Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Should Reprints be Recolored? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

It depends on the project. Marvel Masterworks, DC Archives and the like are archival books, so historical accuracy should be king.

Beyond that, it all depends on the execution. The Neal Adams Batman recolors are pretty bad - I can't bring myself to buy those volumes. On the other hand, I rather like the recolored editions of The Sandman.

http://comicsalliance.com/absolute-sandman-recoloring/
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

For initial reprints, other than to correct errors or to accommodate different paper stocks, I lean on the side of leaving the original coloring alone.

Once there's a proper reprint available, I'm more open to recolored versions and it's all about the execution.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2014 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 3  

No offense to BWS, but his coloring on that Conan page doesn't look so great either.

I appreciate that the MARVEL MASTERWORKS and other editions reprint the originals as originally presented--how else would we know how bad the Hulk looks gray!  And there's some fun to be had in catching the mistakes ("Ha ha...'Peter Palmer'!").

But there's just so much beautiful work that was done at a time when technology was so limited that it actually hurt the work!  The colorists themselves were severely limited in what the process allowed them to do. 

How far do we take the nostalgia side of the issue?  Isn't better paper changing the look?  Isn't crisper printing ruining that "nice muddy look" of old printing presses?

It's funny that people keep referring to the MARVEL MASTERWORKS as presenting the original work "warts and all" when it's their beautifully painted covers that inspired this thread!  I see those painted covers as one more stage in the process that wasn't available to Marvel in the 60's (due to time, money, or talent constraints).  Likewise with "recoloring"--if the new colorist considers the original colors as "flats" or just the first stage, is it really that bad to just add another stage to the process?  If Marvel had all its covers taken to the painted stage a week after Kirby drew them and somebody else inked them, is that any worse or better than Marvel having someone take it to the painted stage 50 years later?

But, yes, I would label it as "Recolored Edition" or similar.  And who knows?  Perhaps a little extra coloring effort could help open up the work of Ditko or other worthies to a whole new generation of fans.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 08 February 2014 at 5:13am

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2014 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 4  

Given that modern colouring usually smothers the original art under layers of gross over-rendering, I say no.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 February 2014 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 5  

For initial reprints, other than to correct errors or to accommodate different paper stocks, I lean on the side of leaving the original coloring alone.

Once there's a proper reprint available, I'm more open to recolored versions and it's all about the execution.

••

It's not about the mechanics of the reprint, it's about the intent of the original artists. Comics until recently did not have the palette, or the "special effects" that have become common. Artists did not draw their pages with such things in mind, and any attempt at recoloring should remember this. What can now be done easily with the click of a mouse is something artists like Jack Kirby, Joe Kubert, Neal Adams, etc, worked hard to suggest using their line work and the "special effects" of the time, like zip-a-tone and color holds. Recoloring those pages often produces murky, muddy images.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version