Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Q for Board: Crisis on Infinite Earths and reboots (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2014 at 2:02am | IP Logged | 1  

If one needs continuity in order to legitimize their enjoying reading or collecting comics, I suggest one subscribe to DC's "Hypertime".

It states that it all happened, all over infinite times and infinite places  throughout infinite dimensions.

Sounds fine to me. It's comics, not real life! Isn't that why we love 'em?

Back to Top profile | search

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2014 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 2  

"Worlds will live.

Worlds will die.

The DC Universe will never be the same!"

Sadder words never spoken.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2014 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 3  

Continuity can mean many things. But it's supposed to serve the stories, not the other way round.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

I know there were many proposals floating around, but the one that struck me as making the most sense if it had been executed properly was Gerry Conway's "big bang" approach where the DC Universe ended, and everything started afresh after. Literally a whole new universe.

COIE attempted to start anew, but it was still trying to be fresh and different whilst trying to keep elements of the old. Square pegs and round holes at times.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2014 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

The problem with doing that is that most DC books were puttering along quite happily at the time and some of their most popular books (Titans, Legion, etc.) wouldn't have "worked" the same had they started over.

Would it really have been a good idea to flush the whole line just to start Superman and Wonder Woman over?

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2014 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 6  

Came across an interesting article that talks about Marvel and DC feeding off each other. In his opinion the Crisis on DC side was an attempt by DC to become more like Marvel. I don't necessarily agree with everything in the article. But I found it interesting to review the history of comics since Superman first appeared -- and how each of the big companies may have influenced each other. Seemed relevent to this discussion too.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2014 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 7  

If only the writer of the series ever revealed his views .. oh wait, here it is:

LINK

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2014 at 1:07am | IP Logged | 8  

Basically, if they'd pared it down to Earths 1 & 2 with characters divided up accordingly, about 90% percent of their glitches could have been solved. The COIE miniseries could have still ended the same way, with  Earth 2 Superman's sacrifice. The Marvel Family and the Freedom Fighters could have shifted to Earth 2 with all-new books. The traditional Earth 1 heroes and the Charlton gang could be from Earth 1.

Business as usual for almost everyone except for Superman/Superboy/Legion, and Wonder Woman/Wonder Girl. In retrospect, easily solved by maintaining their old status whilst simultaneously updating the characters as Mssrs. Byrne and Perez did, respectively.

The JLA/JSA teamups could have continued with new characters thrown into the mix, and Earth 2 Superman could be remembered by his colleagues as the valiant hero that fought to save two Earths from destruction. 

How hard would that have been instead of the endless "Crises" and continuity band-aids that resulted from  Earth 2's destruction?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 February 2014 at 1:38am | IP Logged | 9  

Roy Johnson wrote:
If only the writer of the series ever revealed his views .. oh wait, here it is...

Read the link. Thanks.  Wondering why you think it puts to bed any of the questions raised in this thread...?

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2014 at 1:45am | IP Logged | 10  

That sounds good to me, Ron.

And I agree with what Dale points out--that Marvel and DC feed off each other.  Feed, compete, inspire--whatever.  It's good for competition (as any city with only one newspaper can attest to).

I would just add that the minds behind CRISIS failed to note one thing: We LIKED Earth 2!  We LIKED the annual team-ups!  They were fun, exciting, interesting, and people looked forward to them every year.  It was the big thing--before all the cross-company "Events."  If the Earth 2 team-ups weren't popular, they would have faded away.  The company went to a LOT of trouble to get rid of something that most people liked.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2014 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 11  

The irony is that if indeed DC was trying to be more like Marvel, Marvel went the other way with its own "Earth 2"--the Ultimate line!  (And before that, the New Universe.  But "Ultimate World" was a little more successful.)

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2014 at 2:42am | IP Logged | 12  

Yes, indeed, whether or not Earth 2 was originally intended as a one-off "Easter Egg" for the older DC readers, it became firmly entrenched as a legitimate section of the DC mythos and geography by the mid-eighties. Wiping it out wholesale was probably not the wisest thing to do, especially in retrospect, judging by all the characters who were altered and damaged in order to "fit" into the new status quo.

Although much of the "New 52" doesn't go down too smoothly with me, I think that the new Earth 2 book got SOME things right. First, the heroes are younger, roughly contemporary to "our" world's heroes, with their Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman being about a decade older. So we're not reading about unnaturally enhanced 90 year olds (not that I minded that with the old JSA, but . . .) Second, they are fighting a superhero war (against Darkseid, no less), rather than an historical war, so that does not tie them to any specific time in world history. Now they have the luxury of staying eternally as young as their main DC Earth counterparts. Still, I wish they'd been a little more true to the originals  on some of the outfit designs.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version