Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Decompressed Writing Has Changed How I Read (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2014 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 1  

J.B., you are not only my favorite artist, but you have always been one of my favorite writers as well. So, have you ever thought about doing an instructional book on the topic of comic book writing and storytelling? I, for one, would definitely buy it.

••

My mother taught me to drive a car, because my father's approach was along the lines of "STOP THAT! DO IT RIGHT!!"

I fear my genetic inheritance leans heavily toward his side of the family!

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Sandefur
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2014 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 2  

Fair enough. :)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Hatton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2014 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

My daughter has been reading the new Young Avengers series that just got cancelled at issue #15.  I read it as well since I could do it for free. 

She was upset with me because I did not like it.  The main reason was that 15 issues goes by and it felt like nothing happened.  They fought one villain the whole time.  That is not necessarily bad but in this case it just felt empty.

I don't know if it is because I am 46 and she is 20 but we did not see the series in the same way.  I thought back to earlier series like New Teen Titans and X-Men during the Byrne era and how much happened in 15 issues.  Actually just thinking back to the original young Avengers series things have gone in the wrong direction.  The first 6 of the original series issues felt so much more substantial and that was supposedly during the decompression era.

Michael Hatton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2014 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

On the Batman question, I was thinking 2 panels.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2014 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

My daughter has been reading the new Young Avengers series that just got cancelled at issue #15. I read it as well since I could do it for free.

She was upset with me because I did not like it. The main reason was that 15 issues goes by and it felt like nothing happened. They fought one villain the whole time. That is not necessarily bad but in this case it just felt empty.

I don't know if it is because I am 46 and she is 20 but we did not see the series in the same way. I thought back to earlier series like New Teen Titans and X-Men during the Byrne era and how much happened in 15 issues. Actually just thinking back to the original young Avengers series things have gone in the wrong direction. The first 6 of the original series issues felt so much more substantial and that was supposedly during the decompression era.

••

The existence of titles targeted at different age groups points to something else that has gone wrong, and underscores a failing in many modern writers.

Stan Lee didn't "write for kids". He wrote stories in LAYERS, so a kid (as I was) could get a certain something from the issue, but an older kid (as I became) could get more, and an adult (no comment) more still.

If we're not talking flat out kiddie fare, like CASPER or RICHIE RICH, the widest possible age range should be able to dip into any Marvel or DC comics, and find something that entertains.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version