Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: The Return of Peter Parker (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

I can't think of a single example of this story being done this way before. I mean, we see the Freaky Friday plot all the time, but when has one of the characters died in the process, and when has it ever played out over an extended period of time?

•••

Fighting American. In this 1950s Simon/Kirby creation, the "mind and lifeforce" of Nelson Flag was transplanted into the body of his brother, Johnny, when the latter died. That "played out" for the entire run of the series.

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

It's been several decades now since fan-think began to take over the
editorial/creative side of the business. That was, after all, how CRISIS
happened -- a small number of vocal fans, some of whom had become
writers and editors at DC, declaring the Multiverse was "too confusing."
+++++++++

Not disagreeing, but I should point out that it took me the better part of
a half-hour to explain the basics of Earth-1 and a Earth-2 to a friend
who is just getting into comics, and knows very little about their history.

And, I think he was still confused, even after our chat!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

See, that makes no sense to me!  Parallel worlds are all over sci fi books, television, and movies!  SLIDERS ran for years jumping to a new parallel world every week.  The new STAR TREK franchise is making a billion dollars on this idea.  What's so hard about "old Superman on Earth 2 and young Superman on Earth 1"?  Marvel seems to have no trouble with its Ultimate line being on a different Earth than "Marvel Earth."  (Is a different imprint all it takes?)

I would have a LOT more trouble explaining the confusing and befuddled "continuity" at DC since CRISIS merged some things and erased other things.  Bruce Wayne grew up in a Gotham City protected by the Alan Scott Green Lantern?  Wonder Woman came to man's world years after every single other super-hero was around for years and Black Canary help found the JLA instead of her?  Superman was no longer the first super-hero?

And now the New 52 all-new "timeline" is even worse!  (Again, somebody tell me how Batman could have a 10 year-old son after meeting Talia halfway through his 5-year old career?!?)  Try explaining to someone now why Superman wears armor and has a mandarin collar--and "always has"!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 2:02am | IP Logged | 4  

Not disagreeing, but I should point out that it took me the better part of a half-hour to explain the basics of Earth-1 and a Earth-2 to a friend who is just getting into comics, and knows very little about their history.

•••

There are multiple versions of Earth in parallel universes. Some are very similar, some very different.

How tough was that?

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 2:50am | IP Logged | 5  

Greg, I wonder if your uncanny attention to detail (which I've seen on ample display here many times, particularly in the Star Trek sub-forum) makes it difficult for you to filter out and omit unnecessary detail in things like explaining Earth 1 and Earth 2 to your friend?  Show your friend JLA #101.  I first read that when I was five, and I had no difficulty understanding the concept of the DC multiverse.  And I was coming in on the second part of a three-part story, to boot...  yet it was not confusing in the least.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 3:43am | IP Logged | 6  

...makes it difficult for you to filter out and omit unnecessary detail in things like explaining Earth 1 and Earth 2...

•••

In discussions with fellow fans, and later fellow pros, in those long ago Pre-CRISIS days, this was far and away the most frustrating element. Those who insisted Earth-2 was "confusing" were invariable the same people who worried about Reed Richards and Ben Grimm having served in WW2 (and therefore getting pretty long in the tooth by the mid-Seventies). The idea that some things could simply NOT BE MENTIONED was alien to them.*

Sadly, a whole lot of people who thought this way went on to run comic shops, and to drive away potential new readers with their insular, clubbish attitudes.

* There was a bewildering kind of circular thinking that went with this. To NOT MENTION something was equated with saying it DIDN'T HAPPEN. And if it DID happen, then why wouldn't it be MENTIONED?

I would kid people of this mindset by asking them, if someone said "How are you?" would they begin with "Well, the Earth cooled..."?

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 4:01am | IP Logged | 7  

Eric Jansen:

QUOTE:
Try explaining to someone now why Superman wears armor and has a mandarin collar--and "always has"

I did it. Not so hard... "Just imagine there was no Superman until 2011, his adventures began back then. He started his career wearing a t-shirt, then he found a Kryptonian armor". The reply was "Ok, I get it. So they restart Superman to make him new again".

And this person doesn't read comics.

Edited by Francesco Vanagolli on 18 January 2014 at 4:05am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 8  

"Just imagine there was no Superman until 2011, his adventures began back then. He started his career wearing a t-shirt, then he found a Kryptonian armor". The reply was "Ok, I get it. So they restart Superman to make him new again".

And this person doesn't read comics.

•••

I have a hard time believing even a civilian wouldn't ask "Why does Superman need armor?"

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 9  

She did...!

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2014 at 2:30am | IP Logged | 10  

I have a hard time believing even a civilian wouldn't ask "Why does Superman need armor?"

I have a hard time trying to figure out why DC thought that Superman wearing armor was a logical and good idea.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2014 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think Jim Lee just likes drawing nonsense detail.  It used to be buckles and (unused) belt compartments everywhere (I imagine Cyclops filled them with granola bars and fun size Snickers!), now it's armor lines and mandarin collars.

The ironic (or is it just sad?) thing is that not even Jim Lee can make the armored Superman outfit look good.  He draws the classic costume MUCH better!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 January 2014 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

…now it's armor lines and mandarin collars.

••

Remember when artists tried to do different costume designs for different characters? When Gil Kane did Green Lantern and the Atom, and they had nothing in common besides gloves and boots? Or when Carmine Infantino gave us the Flash and a huge variety in his rogue's gallery?

Even Dave Cockrum, who DID recycle elements a lot, used to blow my mind with the way he could do his opera gloves/thigh boots/sash combo and make it SO DIFFERENT every time!

Suddenly, most of the DC characters seem to have the same tailor -- and one without much of an imagination!

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version