Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: The Return of Peter Parker (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 1  

I never read Spider-man that much except for certain stories and it was mainly for the villains (Otto being my favourite) so I tried this run. I thought it was just a gimmick but Slott has made it interesting through Otto's interactions with Peter's family and friends and the way Otto has decided to run Peter's life.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 2  

orgive me - I'm someone who (a) is coming in late to the discussion and (b) hasn't picked up a Spider-Book since about 1990 - effectively, a civilian now - but is this supposed to be a surprise?  It sure reads like it in this Newsarama article. (Dan Slott knew the whole time! Like there was some secret?)

••

One of the stranger conversations I have had in this business was with a writer, lo these many years ago, who was planning a two-part story (remember them?) in which it would be "revealed" that the hero was actually trapped in a delusion created by one of his rogue's gallery -- AND ALWAYS HAD BEEN.

The guy sat there telling me this story, genuinely convinced, it seemed, that people would believe that all the stories published in decades past were "delusions" and at last the TRUTH was being revealed.

I tried to point out that the only way something like that could even begin to work would be if it was spread over many more than two issues -- perhaps a year -- and even then, when things reverted to normal (as they must), there would be a great cry of "Oh, we knew it all along!" in fandom. Even from those who had most loudly and staunchly defended the "new reality".

But writers are often very good at kidding themselves, convincing themselves that no one will see thru their brilliant story -- and there are just enough fans who will, in fact, go along with it. (When I killed Doctor Doom, in FF, there was a cascade of mail berating me for getting rid of Marvel's greatest villain. What Was I Thinking??) After all, you CAN fool some of the people all of the time.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 3  

I miss when gimmicks weren't the norm, and comic creators didn't create based directly on how the 'fans' might feel or react.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 4  

Marvel Editor-in-Chief said that this would make people appreciate Peter Parker more, and not take him for granted. Oh yes, that's where the problem was. Seems to me that it's the creators who are not appreciating him enough.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 5  

Marvel Editor-in-Chief said that this would make people appreciate Peter Parker more, and not take him for granted. Oh yes, that's where the problem was. Seems to me that it's the creators who are not appreciating him enough.

••

It's been several decades now since fan-think began to take over the editorial/creative side of the business. That was, after all, how CRISIS happened -- a small number of vocal fans, some of whom had become writers and editors at DC, declaring the Multiverse was "too confusing." A patronizing attitude, too, just to make matters worse.

This is the kind of thinking that gets perfectly usable characters killed, because someone has decided they are of no further value. This is how characters get written badly, because some writer thinks they are bad characters. Etc, etc.

So, fans were "taking for granted" poor ol' Peter Parker. And the "solution" was a complex storyline that would have either blocked access for new readers (who might have "appreciated" the character), or enticed readers who might like the changed status quo only to have to changed again!

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 6  

I made the mistake of having a Facebook 'discussion' with someone upset that Peter was returning. His view was that change in comics must be permanent, and it's annoying that characters are constantly reset. I tried to explain the idea of keeping a character basically the same for the sake of new readers, and that it's wrong to expect a medium like comics to 'grow up' with him.

My comments weren't appreciated <g>.....
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Tillson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 7  

Oh, wow.  what a surprise.  what a new and interesting idea, "kill off a character and then they return."  so original.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 8  

It just struck me: Spide-Ock is Ben Reilly done "right". 

:( 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
Oh, wow. what a surprise. what a new and interesting idea, "kill off a character and then they return." so original.

I can't think of a single example of this story being done this way before. I mean, we see the Freaky Friday plot all the time, but when has one of the characters died in the process, and when has it ever played out over an extended period of time?

Personally, I've found the storyline to be a fresh and exciting spin on some very old ideas.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 11  

I've caught the character in other books like NEW AVENGERS, and it's interesting to see the other heroes' reactions to Spider-Man suddenly being a jerk.  I think, though, that it would be aggravating to put up with that in his own book for over a year.  I may try out the new AMAZING when Peter returns--as long as I don't have to buy 50 SPIDER-MAN comics a year!

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

I had been loosely following the Superior Spiderman story and as interesting as it is, it would be nice to have Peter back. I like Slott's style - his Spider-Man (short as it was) has been fun and playful. Obvious NOT M*****'s style.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version