Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Frequent reboots/renumbering? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

Everytime a company re-boots a title saying the new series will be a great jumping on point for new readers...I find it's a great jumping off point for me.
Re-boots suck!
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

Oh, of course they're not done for the right reasons. They can cause a slight hiccup in sales for a month, so companies do them. Whether or not the hiccup stays depends on how different the "new" series is from the one that preceded it and how much that difference appeals to purchasers. Would a Matt Fraction Fantastic Four #614 have sold any different from the Matt Fraction Fantastic Four #3? No way of knowing for sure, but I think there's a good change #614 would have sold better because Fraction didn't seem to bring much to the table and Hickman's fans wouldn't have had the jump off point.

Much as I love the big numbers, I've all but given up hope on companies recognizing their value, but Marvel has been extra annoying lately. Between .1 issues, jumping to the 100s and then looking for any excuse to relaunch again, Marvel numbering just makes my head hurt. If they want to give each writer their own "volume," fine, but only one please. And let each volume end at the issue number they reach "honestly" rather than jumping back to the high numbers. None of this nonsense like the Ed Brubaker Captain America run - started with #1, made it to #50, jumped to #600, effectively relaunched after #619 (although they kept the numbering and turned the series into a Captain America team-up series) and then cancelled again with #19 for Marvel Now. Bleh.   

(Of course, what's extra frustrating is that all these relaunches are supposedly being done to make things easier for new readers to "jump in," completely disregarding the confusion that results from over-milking franchises. See: AVENGERS, AVENGERS AI, AVENGERS ASSEMBLE, AVENGERS UNDERCOVER, AVENGERS WORLD, MARVEL UNIVERSE AVENGERS ASSEMBLE, MIGHTY AVENGERS, NEW AVENGERS, SECRET AVENGERS, UNCANNY AVENGERS. Is that really supposed to be less intimidating than a single Avengers #632?)

The interior is more important than the exterior, so books I'm fairly enthused about I'll still get, but screwing with numbers - especially in cases where they're keeping the same creative team and continuing existing plotlines (see Hickman's Fantastic Four) - will get a "new" title an automatic two strikes from me.

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 3  

I doubt the creators even have a say in what's going to happen to  a series that they are working on? I think this all comes from above, from people who don't even read them, all comes down to making $$ for the company with no regard for creators livelyhood or the fans.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

I don't care for renumbering. There doesn't seem to be any good reason for
it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

Maybe I should launch a series called "Reboot" which is always #1 from month to month.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Larry Lawrence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 6  

Looking back, a lot of creative team changes could have justified a renumbering. I can easily imagine a Fantastic Four # 1 or Captain America #1 illustrated byJohn Byrne, for example!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

I hate all the restarts and re-numberings that goes on in comics anymore. But since it is so much in vogue at the "Big Two" anymore, I don't know why they don't just go ahead and make a new volume each year, #1 - #12, so that they can have their #1 issue every year.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Perry Haslem
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think high issue numbers make a title more appealing.
They are an indication of quality and importance, and attract a higher level of respect, from me at least.
It's sad to see them disappear, but the market seems to have changed since I bought comic books off the newsstand.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

Even when I was first into comics, the big number seemed really cool to me. It also made me hungry to search out what had come before.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

It doesn't bug me as much anymore. One, I think I am used to it. Two, I
collect books that my favorite creators are working on rather than
keeping runs together.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

I saw on FB today that Amazing Spider-Man is getting another reboot.  It's stupid and the cover looks stupid.  Maybe you can judge a book by it's cover.  Or at least by one of its variants....but that's probably a whole other thread...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 12  

I don't believe renumbering is lazy or dishonest. But it does set really high expectations for the following stories, something few reboots manage to meet. For example, with "Forever Evil" the DC books read a lot like what they were producing prior to the reboot. 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version