Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Frequent reboots/renumbering? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 1  

First, let me start by admitting that I have not collected comics since the 90's, but I have kept up (to a point) with what is going on in the industry and with certain titles via the Internet as well as quick looks at comics/trade collections in book stores. Personally I could not afford to collect comics as I used to thanks to the high prices, but based on what I see being produced (generally) I do not want to invest my money as I once did.

With that said, I am curious as to the opinions here regarding the frequent reboots/renumbering that is going on. Obviously DC rebooted it's whole line, so #1 issues would be understood (though continuously rebooting an entire universe every few years seems lazy in regards to creative ownership of what is being produced with the attitude that it can be deleted with a company wide reboot), but now Marvel is making a habit of rebooting their titles just as quickly as they are producing them. Examples: Indestructible Hulk (a new #1 start from a prior Hulk comic) changing to the Hulk and a new #1 and Amazing Spider-Man changing to Superior Spider-Man #1 and now changing back to Amazing Spider-Man #1 (once again). From what I am reading about these changes they have to do with a change in story line, but is this enough to justify changing a book's title and numbering? What happened to comics continuing with story line changes while maintaining the same title and numbering? I recognize marketing has a place in this, but, once again, screams laziness to me in taking ownership in what is being produced and creating a lasting legacy. Marvel's marketing of "Marvel NOW" fits, because they seem to care about what is going on now, not what has occurred.

As I mentioned earlier, I have not read comics in years, so those of you who read these titles (and others that fall in the same situation), perhaps you can share information as to if these type of frequent reboots are being done for the right reasons or not.

Edited by Sam Houston on 12 January 2014 at 11:32am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 2  

I think renumberings/reboots are generally a bad idea.
Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 3  

Every time I see the slogan 'Marvel Now', my eye always reads 'Marvel SUCKS Now'.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 4  

I believe the constant re-numbering somehow de-values the history of characters.
It certainly de-values comicbooks. Collectors no longer feel the compulsion to go back and collect back issues, because they have convenient 'jumping-on' points and can ignore everything that came before. I figure comic shops would suffer in the long run because the consumers are no generally longer interested in the back stock.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 5  

I've really been enjoying the comics that Valiant has been putting out since they "started" a couple of years back. It's weird to think that some of their titles, like X-O Manowar and Harbinger will soon have higher issue counts than most titles from Marvel!

Valiant even did a soft reboot of Bloodshot around issue 17 and they just kept the titles numbering going. I believe, in general, that's how it should be done. If a title isn't quiet working out, adjust/tweak it and keep it going. The constant stops and starts got old years ago!

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 6  

As much as its happened over the last decade, I think it's come to show it doesn't really matter. 

Michael Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

One (of several) reasons I stopped reading years ago.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 8  

My friend passes on Previews/Marvel Previews,the latest ones had the last issue of Fantastic Four,then a relaunch with new number 1,after about 15 issues since the last new number 1,what a great way to crap on the legacy.They can`t even argue that high issue numbers put new readers off,when the current storylines of most Marvel/DC titles are impenetrable to novices and old readers alike.

Larry Lawrence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't care about the numbering, and wouldn't care if it was buried in the indicia the way old Dell comics used to do. Story is what counts, and that's why I'm against the reboots- they are a big distraction and intrusion. More so how frequently they hit us these days. A rehash reboot is unnecessary, a drastic reboot just indicates they should have created a new character/series instead.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 10  

It amazes me that this tactic still works, but it does. When the Lemmings see a new number 1/1st issue , the sales increase. I realize Marvel isn't doing this, but the way they start their titles over every year with a new number 1 makes me think they're saying "if you're going to be this stupid..."

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

I mostly use new #1's of series' I've been collecting as jumping OFF points. 

You want to end a series? Great. That means I stop buying it. I'll go collect something else, thank you very much. 

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2014 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 12  

I am getting tired of the renumbering strategy.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version