Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Big Black Bat vs. The Oval (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2014 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 1  

Yeah I always prefered the yellow oval. That's kind of my batman, just a little bit more like a superhero. Logic be dammed!

(To the extent that I even downloaded/unlocked it as the costume for Arkham City when I had it.)

I think the Frank M logic was just a bit of a humorous hand wave to the illogicality of it. Though I can almost buy the logic of it being a way to attract shots to the most armoured part of his costume. I mean they don't have to be a crack shot and hit the oval square on, because if they were than they'd probably go for the jawline anyway. But I can buy it being a focus for hopfeul possibly deluded shooters to try and take shots at..
Back to Top profile | search

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2014 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 2  

Aren't most people going to aim for the centre of mass, as opposed to the head?

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2014 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 3  

"Aren't most people going to aim for the centre of mass, as opposed to the head?"
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------

Yeah, and I think that gives them all the bit more encouragement to do so. Especially if it's at night..

Gregory Friedman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2014 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

I don't think this type of logic is really relevant.

I mean, on the one hand you don't accept the yellow on the chest because it would draw more gunfire.

But on the other hand, you accept  that he won't trip on that cape, his sight isn't obstructed by that cowl, he can swing from buildings, beat up 10 men at once, etc.

Edited by Gregory Friedman on 15 January 2014 at 3:48pm

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 5  

I have no problem with Batman's costume having a yellow oval on it because he likes how it looks. My problem is when someone attempts to explain *why* he does it in a practical way that winds up making little sense.

For example, I can buy that a radioactive spider granted Peter Parker spider powers. However, don't replace mechanical webshooters with organic ones and claim that the latter "makes more sense." That's when I'll respectfully disagree.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Thomas Francis Tryon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 6  

I like the oval.

I also like the 1950's-1960's coloring (forced by the tech of the times) of a purple leotard with blue accoutrements.

But none of what I like matters. The Nu52 "no trunks rule" is a deal breaker for me, so in my universe none of the DC heroes even exist any more.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 7  

I love the oval.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 8  

I also like the 1950's-1960's coloring (forced by the tech of the times) of a purple leotard with blue accoutrements.

•••

Purple?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't think this type of logic is really relevant.

I mean, on the one hand you don't accept the yellow on the chest because it would draw more gunfire.

But on the other hand, you accept that he won't trip on that cape, his sight isn't obstructed by that cowl, he can swing from buildings, beat up 10 men at once, etc.

•••

Don't recall anyone ever trying to explain/justify those latter elements.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 10  

Aren't most people going to aim for the centre of mass, as opposed to the head?

•••

Aren't "most people" going to be punks with automatic weapons, spraying fire all over the place? That is, after all, one of the chief "selling points" of the AK-47; you don't need skill to use it.

Once again, I am reminded of the scene in SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF, where James Garner's character, having accepted the titular job, notes that there is a bullet-inflicted dent in the badge of office.

New Sheriff: Why, that must have saved that man's life!

Mayor: Probably would have, if it hadn't been for all them other bullets comin' in from everywhere!"

Thomas Francis Tryon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 11  

JB asked: Purple?

Yes, purple,, to my eyes anyway. Just look at the interiors of any Batman book in the 1950s or early 1960s (I'm guessing you might have one laying around) and look at the Batman colors. The mini dots appear to be red. Somehow, in mass volume, it appeared purple to me.

Here is where I will bow to your vastly superior knowlege of comics production over mine. I don't know the whys and wherefores of red mini dots (or even the proper terminology), I'm guessing it was choice made of necessity when they couldn't get the gray correct? Please feel free to correct/educate me.

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 12  

Ben-day dots

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version