Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Fantastic Fun (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 11 January 2014 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 1  

I've never read the whole run up to #400 - that's a great idea. 

I have read a good dose of the Lee/Kirby run over the years, but I didn't get the majority of it all at once until the OMNIBUS came out.  Those two editions are mind blowing!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2014 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 2  

The first Doom story in # 5 is still an all-time favorite. And, thanks to the gorgeous Sinnott inks, it sticks out like a sore thumb from that early batch--easily the best-looking of those early issues. If only he'd stayed!

••

He almost did! Look closely at some of the panels on the second page of issue 6. Even Joe is not sure how that happened!

And, while handing out the compliments, be sure to include Stan Goldberg's coloring. Still among my all-time favorites. Brilliant use of knock-outs. Contributes a great deal to the overall look of the book.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2014 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 3  

He almost did! Look closely at some of the panels on the second page
of issue 6. Even Joe is not sure how that happened!
++++++++++

Yes, I noticed those panels! According to the WONDER YEARS book,
Sinnott said a better-paying gig on TREASURE CHEST came along,
which he took.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2014 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 4  

And, while handing out the compliments, be sure to include Stan
Goldberg's coloring. Still among my all-time favorites. Brilliant use of
knock-outs. Contributes a great deal to the overall look of the book.
++++++++

Love the coloring! And the knockout panels really do add to the look.

I have both the Omnibus and the softcover Masterworks (...as well as
the original, hardcover Masterworks, and the Barnes and Noble
exclusive softcover Masterworks from a decade ago).

By far, the softcover Masterworks has the best presentation of the
linework, as well as the restored coloring. The original Masterworks
was completely recolored by Glynis Wein.

Interestingly, the Omnibus features the edit seen in most reprints,
where, in # 7, the error (with Reed saying on the last page that there's
no reducing gas instead of enlarging gas) has been corrected. The
softcover Masterworks restores the original mistake, for historical
accuracy.

As nice (and heavy!) as the Omnibus is, the softcover Masterworks are,
to date, the best and most accurate reproductions of this material. I
have a standing appointment with Amazon each month to purchase
them!

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2014 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

One area I'm completely ignorant of, save for reading articles on it, is the period between Lee/Kirby and JB. Basically, the 70's. I've read all the Lee/Kirby run, all of JB's and all of Walt's, but that's the limit of my FF reading experience. (Granted that constitutes 90% of all the best FF comics, but still...)

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2014 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

The Fantastic Four are my favorite super-team, and when written correctly, my favorite comic book title. Sadly, there are only really two periods for me that are great, but both of those periods were awesome: The Lee-Kirby run, and, of course, JB's run.

For me, the Lee-Kirby FF really start picking up steam with the stories from the (issues number) 30's through the 70's. That's my favorite part of their run.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2014 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 7  

My first issue of the Fantastic Four was #237, featuring Reed and Sue vs. Spinerrette. I would have just turned 8, so thoughts of consistent purchasing were a little beyond me at the time, and my next issue wasn’t until #255 (took me years to find out why Frankie was flashing Johnny…). From there, I bought issues here and there (including a comic three-pack at a toy store that got me #193-195), finally becoming a regular reader around #280, and more or less continuing as one until #500. (I technically dropped the book a few times, but never for more than a few months and I quickly went back and filled in the blanks.) By the mid-90s, I had all five of the original round of Fantastic Four Masterworks (thanks, Santa!), which got me #1-50, and had filled in the rest of the gaps with back issues.

Since #500, I never seem to stick around for long, but I always come back and fill in the gaps when I do, so I’m current up to the latest issue (or I will be, once my next box arrives), but I already planning on taking another break when the current series ends. (Heck, I had dropped the Fraction run with #9, but decided to come back for the wrap up.)

I love the characters, and it’s not like anything has been done with/to them that makes me not want to come back (closest was the Alicia Skrull reveal), but a lot of the people who have handled their adventures simply haven’t done much for me. For me, it’s all about Lee/Kirby, JB and Walt Simonson. After that, it’s more about reading adventures I haven’t practically memorized once in awhile. :-) (Although I did like Claremont’s Reed/Doom story quite a bit at the time; I have a bit of nostalgic fondness for the Fantastic Four break-up story in #190-200 because of 193-195; and DeFalco/Ryan have become something of a guilty pleasure (after the Alicia story I hated so much, obviously).)

If I was going to do a “top five,” in chronological order it would be the Dr. Doom/Silver Surfer story in #57-60; the Latveria story in #84-87; the Trial of Galactus (#242-244;257-262 – and thanks to Marvel for doing that as a single trade so I only have to count it once :-) ); the Gladiator/X-Men story in #249-250 and the Doom/Reed time travel fight in #352.

(Edited because I noticed a typo.)

Edited by Dave Phelps on 11 January 2014 at 2:41pm

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2014 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 8  

I have read the entire Lee / Kirby run as well as JB's run. I also enjoyed most of the Buscema and Buckler art , but missed many issues of those. I have been buying the Masterworks...just have to find sone time to read these again.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2014 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 9  

I have an ingrained love for the FF I can't explain.
It's like when I see a good drawing of Superman, it just hits the right section of my brain.

I started collecting FF as a kid during Perez's run and that made me a fan of his ever since (even though now I realize it was Joe Sinnott's inks that appealed to me then). As a kid I appreciated the big Treasury Editions as well as the Marvel pocket book reprints.

I was already a fan of JB when he came on FF so I was in heaven.

I have a straight run of FF from #103 to the start of Chris Claremont's first ish.
My Jack Kirby issues were covered by the reprint series Marvel's Greatest Comics.

John Byrne's FF are MY FF, so I love it when they show up here in commissions. It's like seeing what old friends have been up to.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2014 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 10  

He almost did! Look closely at some of the panels on the second page of issue 6. Even Joe is not sure how that happened!

++++++++++

Yes, I noticed those panels! According to the WONDER YEARS book, Sinnott said a better-paying gig on TREASURE CHEST came along, which he took.

•••

What's the vintage on that interview? When I first met Joe, around 1975, I asked him about those panels in FF6, and, as noted, he said he could not recall what had happened. More than that, he said he finished FF5, sent in the pages, and "sat back waiting for more."

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2014 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 11  

Not sure. The book doesn't use a quote from him. It just mentions the
other job as Sinnott's reason for leaving. Whether or not this is just a
supposition on the author's part, I can't say. Nothing is cited in the
sources notes regarding this tidbit.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2014 at 10:19pm | IP Logged | 12