Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 24 Next >>
Topic: COPYRIGHT OFFICE PROPOSES RESALE ROYALTIES FOR VISUAL ARTISTS (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 December 2013 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

...sigh...
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

For those who don't support this idea. If being against this has nothing to do with greed than what is it? Why do care if the artist can continue to profit from their work? 

Randy Lahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2013 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 3  

I demand appreciation for no longer demeaning women!
That is funny.  

On topic, I agree with pretty much everything Jodi has stated.  Lots of people work in unfulfilling jobs so they can pay the bills.  I envy artists that can make a living doing what they love.  When I hear of an artist down on their luck, my first thought isn't that the industry screwed them over.  I wonder what happened, was it a bad turn of events or did they not save their money?  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2013 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

On topic, I agree with pretty much everything Jodi has stated.  Lots of people work in unfulfilling jobs so they can pay the bills.
~~~~~~~~
If something would come along to better those conditions wouldn't that be a good thing?
````
  I envy artists that can make a living doing what they love.
```````
So do I that's why I work the "unfulfilling jobs while continuing doing freelance stuff. So that maybe one day I can only have to do art to pay the bills.
~~~~~
When I hear of an artist down on their luck, my first thought isn't that the industry screwed them over.  I wonder what happened, was it a bad turn of events or did they not save their money?  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes it's just every day life. people would ask me why I was working "regular" jobs when I can do what I can as an artist. My response is I want to eat and have bills to pay. 

I'll tell them this sure okay. I made 300 hundred dollars on a logo design I did. On this particular job it only took me an hour to do. I got lucky they accepted the first design. Well I had no other work that week. So that 300 dollars isn't that great any more.  The paydays can sometimes be great but when they are few and far in between. It's not so great. 

Bill Conway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2013 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

Is this on the level? This sounds like that old urban legend where the post office will start charging people to send emails! 

I believe that this practice would devastate the original art market. Imagine if you are a professional art dealer and suddenly a new law cuts 10% of the profit out of your business? Yikes. And, as a buyer, it would make me less inclined to buy art knowing I would always take a 10% hit on the resale (on top of state & local taxes).

And where does it stop? If we are talking comic book art, then Marvel and DC should get a percentage of the sale for the use of their character - and dont forget the Kirby and Shuster families - they will need to get their cut as well.

Who would be responsible to keep track of all these sales and re-sales - a government agency?

Nothing against artists, but why should they get special considerations on a resale when they were initially paid a fair market price? Can you imagine what would happen to the real estate market if you had to pay the original owner a % for every resale?

Randy Lahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2013 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 6  

I don't like buying things with strings attached.  When I bought a dog from a breeder, I had to agree that if I bred my dog, the breeder got the pick of the litter for so many litters.  I had no intention of breeding my dog, nor did I, but that condition really bothered me.  If I buy something I want it to be mine to do as I please.  
For those that feel strongly about sharing profit with artists, there is nothing stopping you from doing it already.  
I don't own any original art because I have other priorities at the moment, maybe some day....
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 December 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

Nothing against artists, but why should they get special considerations on a resale when they were initially paid a fair market price? Can you imagine what would happen to the real estate market if you had to pay the original owner a % for every resale?

•••

Do you refuse to buy a house that costs more than when it was built?

Bill Conway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

•••

Do you refuse to buy a house that costs more than when it was built?

No, but if I had to pay an extra 10% (above the ask price) to the house's original owner, I would be less inclined to buy that house.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

No, but if I had to pay an extra 10% (above the ask price) to the house's
original owner, I would be less inclined to buy that house.

You wouldn't be responsible for paying that; the seller would.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2013 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 10  

That's how I figure it too, Wallace;
The percentage comes out of the sellers end. NOT an addition to the buyer's price.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 December 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

No, but if I had to pay an extra 10% (above the ask price) to the house's original owner, I would be less inclined to buy that house.

•••

Ahh! So you would never SELL a house for more than you paid for it!

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2013 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 12  

No, but if I had to pay an extra 10% (above the ask price) to the house's original owner, I would be less inclined to buy that house..
____

You wouldn't be responsible for paying that; the seller would.
~~~~
I should add also it would be paid to the people who built the house. Not the original owner. Unless they are one in the same.

<< Prev Page of 24 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version