Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: 1986 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 1  

Wow, 1986 was quite a year...never realized so many of those titles happened that year. 

Oddly enough, despite all the great things that happened that year...it also seems like after that is when the downward spiral began. 

Back to Top profile | search

Jesse Perkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

I love DD: Born Again, one of my favorite reads of all time, but I don't think it was particularly ground breaking. Crisis was a huge event, and I guess an argument could be made that it influenced the "event" writing style that would dominate the 90's.

E:A might not have been the best read....but wasn't it the first time painted interiors and mixed media artwork were used extensively in a Marvel or DC comic book?

Jesse Perkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2013 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 3  

Oddly enough, despite all the great things that happened that year...it also seems like after that is when the downward spiral began.
------------------------------------
Maybe, but I think it started a couple years later - with McFarland on Spiderman and Hulk, Liefield on New Mutants, Silvestri on X-men and endless crossovers (Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, Inferno, etc...).

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Wow, 1986 was quite a year...never realized so many of those titles happened that year.

I should have said "issues", not necessarily titles.

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think Elektra: Assasin deserves more attention than it gets. There
wasn't anything else like it at the time and besides that the
Miller/Sienkiewicz team produce a great story.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 6  

Maybe, but I think it started a couple years later - with McFarland on Spiderman and Hulk, Liefield on New Mutants, Silvestri on X-men and endless crossovers (Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, Inferno, etc...).

I don't agree with those as "problems," necessarily, but what objection could you have with Silvestri on X-Men?  His art wasn't radically different from John Romita Jr's tenure on the book, especially since Dan Green inked both of them.  Jim Lee wasn't a big departure from Silvestri, either.  It's a pretty natural progression, and not nearly as jarring as Todd McFarlane's run on Amazing Spider-Man (which hadn't really had a regular artist since Ron Frenz) or Rob Liefeld replacing Bret Blevins on New Mutants. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Conner Dinkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

Man I loved when Art Adams got going. The New Mutants stuff and the Classic X-men covers. That was some of my favorite stuff. Also JB Like a Phoenix and the Hulk Wolverine cover, Man of Steel and Superman. That was a fun year!

Jesse Perkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2013 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 8  

I don't agree with those as "problems," necessarily, but what objection could you have with Silvestri on X-Men?  His art wasn't radically different from John Romita Jr's tenure on the book, especially since Dan Green inked both of them.  Jim Lee wasn't a big departure from Silvestri, either.  It's a pretty natural progression, and not nearly as jarring as Todd McFarlane's run on Amazing Spider-Man (which hadn't really had a regular artist since Ron Frenz) or Rob Liefeld replacing Bret Blevins on New Mutants.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. It's not about it being jarring, it's about quality and for me there was a significant drop off. I liked Lee better than Silvestri, but he was no JRjr either. At the time I was really hoping Alan Davis would take over the X-men, but no luck.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2013 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

Rich Marzullo wrote:
The thing with 1986 is there definitely seemed to be a clear break from the Silver and Golden Ages (personified with Crisis on Infinite Earths).

You can say that again.  1986 was the year I stopped buying new comics on a regular basis.  Crisis was a load of absolute rubbish and a harbinger of the past two decades' worth of incomprehensible, gimmick-laden books written for hardcore fans only.  The bleak cynicism, nihilism, and violence of DKR ruined Batman and started seeping like uncontained radioactive waste into all the other books around.  MOS was well-written and beautifully drawn but made some fundamental changes in Superman that I really didn't like.  Not a good time for superhero comics at all, from my perspective. 

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 14 December 2013 at 1:12pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2013 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

1986 was the year I started doing some illustrations for "Comics Feature" magazine, while I was still in high school. One of those illustrations, drawn later in 1987, was a double-page spread that showed how many #1 issues were published between March to November of 1986. It was a busy year for putting out new titles:

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2013 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

1986 was the year that I began to buy more books from DC than Marvel. I guess my 13/14 year old self was working out the importance of creative teams over characters, or more importantly, that a great creative team can do something special to whichever character they turn their hand to. JB on Man Of Steel was the first time that I ever enjoyed Superman, as he made the character feel fresh, modern and more down-to-earth.

Jesse Perkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

I agree.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version