Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Comic books are not a sound investment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2013 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm slowly coming round to the position that it is time to part with all my comics that have been re-published in Marvel Masterworks, DC Archives and other high-quality collections. With these nice books on my shelf and readily accessible for my reading pleasure, I am unlikely to ever refer to the original issues again, so why keep them locked away in storage?

Of course, now I have to overcome the tremendous amount of inertia to undertake that task...

Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

I actually prefer re-reading my single issues to collected editions. Advertisements and the letters page are all part of the experience for me.

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 3  

Members of our armed forces, especially those overseas, would be happy to get free comic books. In some cases it might be relatively easy to get them into the hands of the military and let them send them where they are needed.  If you can't get them directly to a base, perhaps a local American Legion or VFW can help out.

Another place I used to read comics when I was a kid was the barbershop.

Flea markets are a place where you might be able to get some cash (as opposed to nothing).  You can probably get someone to sell them for you if you split the profits in their favor.

I'm fully in favor of donating, preferably to kids. The Ronald McDonald House suggestion mentioned earlier was a great idea that I will probably look into.

Gregory Friedman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

I actually prefer re-reading my single issues to collected editions. Advertisements and the letters page are all part of the experience for me.

Agreed.  There's more pixie-dust in reading the original floppies with ads and letter pages.  More nostalgia, at least.

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2013 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

I love looking at old letters pages and seeing all the letters from fans who would soon be pros. I saw one in Strange Talesi in an issue shortly after Jim Steranko made his debut, where Mark Evanier put forth the theory that Steranko was actually Jack Kirby under a pseudonym.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 6  

"I actually prefer re-reading my single issues to collected editions. Advertisements and the letters page are all part of the experience for me.

Agreed. There's more pixie-dust in reading the original floppies with ads and letter pages. More nostalgia, at least."

Also, I don't like the over saturated colours on new collected editions.  I prefer to see comics on the original cheap newsprint, with the colouring intended for them.

Ernest Degollado
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 7  

I have a dozen or so long boxes that I'm not really interested in selling but would rather donate to some organization where they can be enjoyed again.  Has anyone had any experience in doing that with large amounts or have any suggestions on which groups would accept them?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 8  

And to prove my earlier point about age and condition, please note the article today on Bleeding Cool about the Million Dollar Collection now being auctioned on Heritage.  Silver Age + High Condition = Gold Mine!

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 9  

I used to donate comics to Goodwill but I found out there was a guy who would come in and buy them then sell them on Ebay. I decided to just give them back to my LCS and they could be put in the quarter bin or given to someone who couldn't afford them as back issues.

A guy asked the owner about the Shadow series from Dynamite a day or two after I donated my complete run to the store when I dropped the book. On one hand, the guy really wanted to check out the book but he couldn't afford the back issues. The owner offered him the run and so he was able to pick it up.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 06 November 2013 at 7:24pm

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 10  

When I was around 10 (1979) I bought into the whole "investment" thing - for about a year. 

The reason I have a "collection" is that when I buy something, I tend to just keep it in good condition because I paid money for it and I want to read it again, not for any other reason.

Similar, here. When I first started reading comics around age 6, I didn't really have a storage method, and they would tend to get worn. When I was 8, I met a kid who kept his comics stacked inside brown paper grocery bags. They were so smooth and shiny! Genius!

By the time I was 10, I was keeping them stacked inside generic brown boxes. Then, I was somehow introduced to the idea of clear, form-fitting bags made just for storage...and boxes made for same. Then, it wouldn't be long before backing boards came into play.  I had also started to buy into the notion that the comics I had would become quite valuable someday.

And some did. But the majority did not. I've sold off a good deal of my collection, more than half. I still have hundreds of comics, though. Still keep them boxed, boarded and bagged...even now, on the rare occasion that I buy new ones.

But now, it's for the same simple reason I started stacking them in brown grocery bags decades ago...just because I like to keep my things, and keep them nice.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

My comic collection, something in the region of 30 long boxes, is one of the best investments I ever made.

It provided me with so much pleasure and constant access to imaginative stories while also educating me about a good many things. It helped me recognise art and that different artists have different styles which can be identified.

And it has given me a library of stories to pass on to my son who loves reading. With stories that are far better than he sees on TV or many movies. You like X-Men? Then read this! Spider-Man? Here you go.

Of course, at the moment he's 3 so he reads the Mr Men, Bear snores on and Guess how much I love you etc. But the comics are there. Waiting. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 12  

Bravo, James! That's what I like to hear.

Too many people act as if collecting comics was a waste because they couldn't get rich off the collection. It's nice to hear someone tell of how they enriched his life in other ways, and doesn't regret buying comics.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version