Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Comic books are not a sound investment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2013 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 1  

When I shipped my stuff over to Canada from the UK last year I only included a handful of comics. Most are in my parents' loft and they are always asking me what I want to do with them. "Just hang on to them a little longer," I say...

My retirement fund, you see. Why, X-Force #1 must be worth a fortune all by itself :)
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2013 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 2  

Matt H, that reminds me of the time I was at my LCS while they were going through their back issue backstock. They had a whole long box full of copies of Amazing Spider-Man #300, which was going for $80 or so at the time.

Edited by Dave Phelps on 02 November 2013 at 11:40am

Gregory Friedman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

Yes of course you're right, Matt.  I mean, how much is your favorite book worth?  Not much probably.  Books aren't generally held as collector items and neither should comics.

But I will admit that there is an added bonus when your cherished comics are worth something and I really dislike how their value has been extremely reduced by the vast amounts of re-printing TPBs in the last decade or so.

It wasn't that long ago that original issues of JB's FF were spoken of in hushed tones and were hard to find.  Now they're easy to find and worth squat.  The luster and mystique is gone!

Of course, there should be re-prints and TPBs so civilians can more easily and cheaply access the hobby.

But I personally just don't like them;  I find them sterile.  They take the joy out of the hunt for rare issues and they don't capture the time or the visceral feeling like the real comic book.

Edited by Gregory Friedman on 02 November 2013 at 1:34pm

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

The reason that I would bag and board my comics now is that I would rather not see them become too ragged and falling apart... in case I or someone in my family should decide they want to pull it out to read it again.

Dave Phelps's post reminds me of a recent cartoon where the kid asks this clerk for a copy of the anticipated game she pre-ordered through the chain store. After a little back-and-forth about whether they could find a copy for her or not, the clerk goes into a back closet and finds her "last" copy. It was on top of a pile of other last copies lying near the door.

Edited by Carmen Bernardo on 02 November 2013 at 1:39pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 5  

Affordable reprints and trades are exactly the kind of "in" that kids need these days, if you want them to discover the classic stories and art. I have no problem with these.

I already have a number of Marvel Masterworks editions that my kids can read. Gave me a proud lump in my throat when I read aloud the first Spider-Man tale from AMAZING FANTASY #15 and my girls actually teared-up by the end of the story!

Couldn't care less how much these reprints supposedly "devalue" the original back issues. It should be about the STORIES first and how to get them in the hands of a new generation.

(Edit: spelling.)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 02 November 2013 at 7:01pm

Gregory Friedman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you Shaun.

I'm simply saying that the abundance of re-prints is sort like how the internet made information of all and any kinds so easy to access. Pre-internet, you had to work to get a certain article, or interview, song, TV episode, inside information, etc.  When you found something it was more special because you worked for it.  Scarcity increases value; both objective and subjective.

Now, to quote D.Vader, it's all too easy.  For every gain, there is a loss and vice-versa.

Edited by Gregory Friedman on 02 November 2013 at 4:41pm

Brian Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

I believe the biggest value in a comic book single issue or issues is what love/wonder a story brought to the reader. If you lucked out and got a rare first printing of a series like the Turtles or Walking Dead, then that is just a bonus.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2013 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

I buy high grade silver age comics for the joy of collecting.  We are on vacation in Pittsburgh today, and I found a great shop callled Edies.  I picked up Green Lantern 4 and 11, Daredevil 14, Brave and the Bold 73, Star Trek 10, Detective 402, TOS 76, and TTA 84.  

Condition is everything.  A lot of people have poor condition copies, but they look at Overstreet at the Mint prices and think that is what their books are worth.  So that's when you have reality checks like the ones mentioned in the news link.  For high grade books published before 1970, prices continue to increase at a respectable clip.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

@ Matt Hawes:
When you mentioned the owner of Big B Comics my ears pricked up! I've known Walt for over a decade.
Big B Hamilton is just a few blocks from me (it's a growing chain, recently including Barrie, up north, and one in Niagara Falls)

Walt deals in VERY high grade books, and you're correct, the prices you quote were almost certainly high CGC grades.

Trevor Phillip
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 1:47am | IP Logged | 10  

I recently tried to sell some 30 long boxes of comics from the 70s 80s 90s to today --- complete runs of things like New Mutants and 20+ year runs of Green Lantern, Avengers, etc.

Something around 6,000 comics in total -- I was asking $3,000 for the lot (all bagged and boarded).

I found one shop willing to pay $1,000 since they're so far away the freight would be costly for them, but they agreed to make sure my pocket had $1,000 cash in it after shipping.

I've decided, instead, to burn them.  I'm working on an internet campaign to see if people will pay me 50cents a comic to watch me (via video) burn each comic.   50% of everything I raise will go to a comic related charity or non-profit.  Then I'm going to try and sell the bags/boards on eBay as a lot.  Some store would want them.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 11  

I'm kind of kicking myself now for not accepting the offer of $1200 two years ago for my collection, which has been sitting in storage for eight years. I wanted $1500. Damn. I will have to talk to the shop next summer or try to sell them off on eBay. 

On a side note, the cover for "The Walking Dead" looks very familiar and I was buying lots of comics back in 2003 and I also love anything zombie. I am really hoping I have a copy sitting in my boxes up in storage. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Phillip
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 3:38am | IP Logged | 12  

I think abut cherry picking the collection, too - with 6,000 books, I know there's some good stuff there like the two New Mutants books (mentioned above), Todd McFarlane Spider-Man -- stuff like that with a fairly regular buying public (and a ton of alternate covers).  Also the runs of JSA etc -- I think I could raise the same $1,000 just on a few cherry picks -- but then I'm left with 29 1/2 boxes of kindling.

what to do?
what to do?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version