Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Coincidences And Conveniences (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2013 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 1  

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS was a miniseries i enjoyed at the time (George Perez at his finest!) but i see the trouble it caused.... DC should've done the series and afterwards just proceeded regularly without openly referencing it so many times in their books and with all the REBOOTS.

However, the mentality is to make everything an EVENT to sell the books.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2013 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 2  

Robbie Parry wrote:
I like the idea of ordinary people thrust into extraordinary circumstances. Like Peter Parker becoming Spider-Man.

Yes, you've pinpointed one of the key problems today's superhero writers have... their difficulty with the concept of a completely ordinary person becoming extraordinary through a combination of circumstances and their own hard work and virtue.  Instead, heroes have to be somehow "predestined for greatness."  It's not just superhero comics either... we see it in all the Star Wars retcons (Luke isn't just an ordinary kid, he's a "chosen one" with a genetically high level of midichlorians) or in the Abrams Star Trek.

One of Stan's few missteps on Spider-Man was revealing Peter Parker's parents were actually secret agents, taking away the notion that Peter was an ordinary (albeit intellectually gifted) kid who led a completely normal life prior to becoming Spider-Man.  If Ditko was aware of that story, he must have been appalled.  Fortunately, Stan seemed to realize it was a mistake, and Peter's parents were pretty much forgotten in the 20 years immediately following that story.  Of course in recent years the concept has been revived and overworked and even made a key part of the latest film, much to the detriment of the character.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 October 2013 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 3  

While neither is particularly preferable (or necessary), if forced to pick my poison I would rather have a reboot-and-start-anew over an in-continuity "Everything You Know Is A Lie!" revision that overlays a negative texture on past stories.

•••

The latter is real just a stealth reboot. By pretending the story is "in continuity" or a "retelling" rather than a reboot, publishers can slip a whole lot past gullible fans.

I often point to THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and BATMAN: YEAR ONE as, in combo, a stealth reboot. In those issues, at more or less the same time I was being crucified for MAN OF STEEL, Frank changed the backstories of Gordon, Barbara, Alfred, Catwoman and even the Joker. But having been told one was "imaginary" and the other a "retelling", Batfans accepted all without a grumble.

Back to Top profile | search

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version