Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Ross Andru (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2013 at 1:38am | IP Logged | 1  

I'm unaware of Ross Andru having ever worked on either GL or the Atom, though he and Gil Kane did both draw Spidey around the same early - mid 70s timeframe, so I suspect Matt is thinking of Kane.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marcus Hiltz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2013 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 2  

I started reading comics in the mid to late 70's so I grew up with Spider-Man art by Andru, Pollard, Sal Buscema, Romita Jr, and other.  Loved Andru's work then and now!  It was only a little later (through all Marvel's reprint books) that I discovered Ditko, Romita Sr, and Kane.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 October 2013 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 3  

That's what I get for posting late at night.  I was thinking Kane re: GL, but swapped in Andru.  Sigh.  Slap your head moment in the morning after reading what I posted!  

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 October 2013 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 4  

Andru did many a cover to GL, Matt so we can let you slide. ;)
Andru is one of all time favorites. He was my Spider-Man artist as a
child. I even loved the Atari Force mini-comics he worked on!

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2013 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 5  

As a kid, Ross Andru was the guy who drew Doc Savage and Spider-Man for Marvel.

I had no clue when it came to his previous work on the Metal Men, Wonder Woman and the Flash (along with many others for DC).

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jovi Neri
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2013 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

I own a page from Action Comics 599 penciled by Ross Andru. Just wondering to all the historians out there - is this the only known art collaboration with Ross Andru and JB (who inked his pencils)?

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 7  

First Ross Andru I would have seen would have been Amazing Spider-Man # 125 back when I was 8 years old and have been a fan ever since.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2013 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 8  

I was surprised to learn how many issues Ross Andru did of Wonder Woman starting in the late 50's. I also had no idea that WW got a soft reboot around #98 or 99 until recently. How good is this run? I love the art, but how does it hold up?

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't think the Andru issues of Wonder Woman hold up very well storywise.  They are all written by Robert Kanigher, and they are extremely formularized, contrived, and silly.  While it's true that could be said to some degree of all DC Comics of that era, those traits seem much more prominent in the Kanigher stories than in other books.  The Superman, Batman, and Schwartz-edited comics of that era hold up much better than Kanigher's Wonder Woman. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2013 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 10  

I just picked up the 1st volume of MARVEL MASTERWORKS of THE DEFENDERS, with art by Mr. Andru for the first three appearances in MARVEL FEATURE.  Funny story by Roy Thomas in the Intro: Ross Andru was sort of a messy penciler, often drawing conflicting facial or muscle lines in the same panel and letting the inker choose which to finish. Bill Everett (an obstinate sort, I read) was picked to ink Andru in the first issue and he didn't really like Andru's pencils.  As a protest (or a plan never to have to ink Andru again?), he inked ALL the conflicting lines! It was a messy looking outing and Stan Lee was furious and had a "meeting" with Everett. Sal Buscema did a wonderful job inking the second issue, but Everett was back for the third. (Makes sense for Lee to want him since the Sub-Mariner was such an important part of the book.) And I guess the scolding worked because issue 3 was a lot cleaner than issue 1. However, I almost like the first one better! A little less static, I guess. Thomas says that issue 1 is the closest we'll get to seeing Andru's pencils.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2013 at 1:40am | IP Logged | 11  

Thomas also said that Andru didn't really enjoy his work and labored at it. That's too bad, but you wouldn't know it to look at it.  He always put that little something extra in, especially in his detailed backgrounds.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 October 2013 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 12  

Ross Andru was sort of a messy penciler, often drawing conflicting facial or muscle lines in the same panel and letting the inker choose which to finish. Bill Everett (an obstinate sort, I read) was picked to ink Andru in the first issue and he didn't really like Andru's pencils. As a protest (or a plan never to have to ink Andru again?), he inked ALL the conflicting lines! It was a messy looking outing and Stan Lee was furious and had a "meeting" with Everett.

••

I see no evidence of this in the ESSENTIALS reprint.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version