Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Ross Andru (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

Ross Andru was the artist when I first picked up a Spider-Man comic many decades ago so his Spider-Man was my Spider-Man.

In my opinion he doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves for his work on Spider-Man.  I was wondering if I was biased based on nostalgia so I took a recent look at some of his Spider-Man comics and I think it still holds up as quality work. Great layouts and poses, fantastic attention to archetectural details and great mood.

I'm interested to hear the opinions of the rest of the JBF on Andru's run on Spider-Man.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2013 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

Ross Andru was the Spider-man artist when I was a kid too, and I loved his stuff.  His New York City architecture was indeed amazing - I think JB has said before that Ross was constantly taking photos as he walked around New York to make his backgrounds the best.  His figures sometimes had an awkwardness to their poses, but that really worked for Spider-Man, who is supposed to be all bent kness and elbows.  In retrospect, it is a little suprising that Marvel in the 1970s would hand over their flag ship character to an artist they had just recruited away from DC.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

Ross was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I was thrilled when "the guy who draws WONDER WOMAN" actually did book that I, a boy could buy -- the METAL MEN.

I have several pages of his original art in my collection, including one from that first SHOWCASE Metal Men story, two spreads from SUPERMAN vs THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, and a DOC SAVAGE page that Tom Palmer was kind enough to give me several years ago.

Also got to work with Ross once, inking his pencils on an issue of ACTION COMICS (Metal Men again) I also wrote.

Pascal LISE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2013 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 4  

I grew up with Romita and Kane's Spider-man and Ditko !
It took me a while to fully appreciate Ross Andru's work but when I did, I fell in love with his Spider-man depiction.

His workmanship was top notch. Masterful storytelling, inventive camera angles and layouts, great flair with perspective and architecture… Spider-man's rogue gallery never looked so good. Andru had everything to handle Spider-man's world which he did beautifully.

Except for the occasional short run or single issue from a favorite artist of mine, I stopped reading Spider-man regularly after Ross quit the book.

Edited by Pascal LISE on 11 October 2013 at 3:06pm

Rob Shalda
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2013 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

Ross Andru was my Spider-guy too as a kid. Kane and Romita departed one issue after my first Amazing(#124). He holds a special place for me in Spiderman's history of artists. His Jackal sent shivers down my spine! 

I saw a poll a couple weeks back(Newsarama maybe?)that listed the top ten Spidey artists. Ross Andru placed #10 which I though was extremely low! Then again they had Ramos and Rivera in the top 5,without a mention of Sal Buscema or Keith Pollard.

I generally ignore those polls.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

The first issue of Amazing Spider-Man (#137) that I bought was drawn by Ross Andru.

One of the things that made his art so good was his attention to detail.  Nobody could draw New York City like Andru did.

And he was a terrific fit for drawing Spider-Man - following Ditko, Romita and Kane was a huge task, but he was up to it!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

I've often thought of Andru as my "official" Spider-Man artist in large part due to the fact that he was there when I started reading comics. I had all too few issues of the title until I was able to get out of the house on my own and buy more of them, and by then he was off the book for more than a few years.

Looking back, he certainly earns his place amongst the best. He stuck around during the 1970s after Romita and Kane departed for other gigs, and held the post until the next generation of artists came along.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2013 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

I saw a poll a couple weeks back(Newsarama maybe?)that listed the top ten Spidey artists. Ross Andru placed #10 which I though was extremely low! Then again they had Ramos and Rivera in the top 5,without a mention of Sal Buscema or Keith Pollard.

I saw that poll too - and any list that puts Ramos, McFarlane or Larsen ahead of Andru as a Spider-Man artist is useless (IMO).

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 9  

Here's the list from Newsarama -

10 - Ross Andru
9 - Humberto Ramos
8 - Marcos Martin
7 - Ron Frenz
6 - Erik Larsen
5 - Todd McFarlane
4 - John Romita, Sr.
3 - Mark Bagley
2 - John Romita, Jr.
1 - Steve Ditko

Sal Buscema and Gil Kane should be in the top 5 or 6 and JB should be in the top 10.

Edited by Robert Bradley on 11 October 2013 at 3:38pm

Rob Shalda
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2013 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

I forgot that Gil Kane didn't make that list. I would definitely put JB on it too! I think they did get the top 2 right.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think depending on personal taste the top three are Romita Sr., Ditko and Romita Jr.

Bagley and S. Buscema both worked on Spider-Man for so long they're a given, and Kane, JB, Andru and Frenz are all obvious choices to me.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2013 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version