Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: New York Comic Con (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2013 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 1  

Steven, I'm thankful that I got to have met him. Everything else was just Icing on the cake. It may not have been the flavor I hoped for but I'm glad I had it.  
Back to Top profile | search

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2013 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 2  

I wonder if he was able to look up some of his old Marvel friends while he was in NYC.

Stan is coming to Nashville this weekend, I'm really excited to see him as well. He's scheduled to talk on Saturday, I will make sure to get there early enough to get a good seat.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2013 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 3  

From IDW's panel (CBR)....

"Ryall said he is currently discussing plans with John Byrne regarding future projects and new editions of older work, but there is nothing to announce at present."

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 4  

Anthony I am sorry you had the experience you had, bummer.

Chicago Wizard Con around a month ago. Stan was in rare form. He had his line chanting different cheers. He looked really good too, I was in line with Jackson to get pics with CM Punk and the person in front of me, commented how good he looked for his age.

Jon's take on the con, it has gotten too big. Which I have heard is the same problem with San Diego Comic Con. His girlfriend went and it was to be her first and last time going, she hated it, due to the crowd of people. I would love to go though, I LOVED Chicago Wizard Con. It was a blast!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2013 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

I haven't made it to NYCC in over a decade.  Hopefully one day I'll make it back.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2013 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 6  

Anthony, you probably caught Stan when he had a bug or something. At 92 years, a human body could get knocked out by stuff that we'd shrug off in our 20s. Aside from that, I'm glad that we get the chance to see the man these days (I did twice at the Baltimore Comic Con) because there may come the day when he's no longer able to do all of this.

As much as I've heard about NYCC, I've never gone. The distance has something to do with it, especially with the costs of travel and a room involved in today's economy. I'll only go to one day at Baltimore if I choose to do it on a whim.

As for the cross-dressing cosplayers, I can relate. One of my first Japanese animation conventions was at Virginia Beach in the mid-1990s, and there was this group of college-aged guys parading around as Sailor Moon and her Scouts. I couldn't quite refrain from cracking up at them. Some people seek the attention, I suppose.

I will agree with you and Jodi that the cons have gotten a bit big for the venues that they're being held in. My latest visit to BCC taught me to plan ahead and pre-register, or else I'm standing in a line two blocks long and having to squeeze my big frame through a packed aisle trying to get to an opening in the wall of people lined up at the dollar comics bins. As far as the artist alley is concerned, I can agree with Winston that the artists that we grew up with are few and far between, and most of what I've seen really doesn't impress me all that much. I tend to like my artists drawing pictures that I can easily follow, with subjects other than the hordes of zombies, demonesses and blood-splattered psychopaths.

Al Burr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

As for "older" artists:

George Perez: He did a ROM Spaceknight commission for me!

Joe Rubenstein: He's going to do a Hulk/Doc Samson commission for me.

Jose Garcia Lopez: To meet a legend! WOW!

Jim Steranko: Bought a lithograph off him & he signed it! Great hair!

Bill Sienkiewicz: Was not in Artist Alley. He was on the main floor with Steranko. I was disappointed that he had nothing Moon Knight related.

Pablo Marcus: Another freaking legend!

Chris Claremont: Nice guy.

Michael Golden: Nice guy, but never has any ROM Spaceknight prints even though I bug him every year. :(

Yeah, It is disappointing to walk into Artist Alley & wonder who the hell 95% of the people are! Is it that hard to get a Classic Marvel Artists section?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2013 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

I forgot to mention I saw George Perez. I would have made my greetings but he was engaged in doing a commission. So I didn't want to bother him.

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

I got to meet Mr. Perez in Boston, he had a huge line the entire con (there were numbered tickets!) but I got to sneak ahead because all I wanted was to say hi and shake his hand.

Scott Wegrzyn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2013 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

I asked the question in the IDW panel re: upcoming JB projects and if the Artifact Edition would be a good format for JB's X-Men work.

Listening to all of the announcements at the panel, I was puzzled that there were no 'upcoming Byrne' items. However, when I asked my question I was pleased to see Chris Ryall nod his head, indicating that he was happy to get such a question. IDW folks did plug the upcoming Star Trek photo-comic after Chris answered, but nothing more specific (as CBR stated).

Just knowing that stuff is in the works was enough for me - very pleased with IDW and the various products they produce. Very happy that their relationship with JB is continuing.

Scott Wegrzyn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2013 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 11  

I was able to get two sketches from George Perez at the show - Ultron and Galactus.

They both look fantastic! Mr. Perez was so very friendly, and jokingly commented that he did not flinch when I asked for Galactus. He and Joe Rubenstein had a running commentary while he sketched re: how Kirby included/excluded details of Galactus in various panels.

Coolest moment of the convention for me...by far!

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 12  

I saw a couple of you mention that Stan Lee is 92. He's only 90, which may be a small distinction considering that he's, you know, 90! but let's not age the guy more than he actually is. It is amazing how many shows he gets to, but I guess he's making hay while the sun shines.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version