Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: a not-so-funny thing happened on the way to this forum (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 1  

I tend to gravitate towards the new art thread, occasionally posting on
other threads of interest. I initiate threads once in a while, but that is
rare, since for whatever reason, some posts are deleted. Is is the only
thing that bugs me about the place, since i have taken a bit of time to
formulate and put together a post. that said with that specific concern, it
is my choice to change my expectations, allow frustration to grow or
move on.... I'm still here and happy to continue interacting with the
motley crew here.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 2  

Michael when someone says "if Christianity was really a beleaguered minority, I'd be right on the front lines defending it", I think you could be forgiven for thinking they probably don't know about the escalating persecution in parts the Middle East.(most people don't actually) If you can explain how someone aware of the violent campaign to rid the Middle East of Christianity, makes that statement let's hear it? Or at least tell me why it's an "insult" to not ASSUME they know about it?

••

Since I'm the one who MADE the statement, why are you asking Michael and not me? Oh -- of course. Because you don't really want an answer. Michael has in fact already given one, so you're trying to dance away from the actual POINT. Such a tiresome and transparent bit of trickery.

A: I hired you to paint my house brown! You painted it powder blue with yellow daisies!

B: Why do you hate daisies so much??

Welcome to my IGNORE list.

Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 3  

The cartoon posted by JB is exactly how a lot of people around the
Internet and industry feel. They believe "facts" told to them 10th hand
(we are way beyond 2nd hand) and form a judgment without true
knowledge.
---
I have run into folks on a couple of different forums who have repeated
"facts" about John Byrne which were anything but... And when I pointed out
that a quick trip to the JBF would place some of the things they had heard
and were taking as truth in the proper context, I was dismissed as a Byrne
apologist.

It seems that some people feel they must hold onto their negative
perceptions no matter what readily available evidence may say to the
contrary.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 4  

I have run into folks on a couple of different forums who have repeated "facts" about John Byrne which were anything but... And when I pointed out that a quick trip to the JBF would place some of the things they had heard and were taking as truth in the proper context, I was dismissed as a Byrne apologist.

••

Reminds me of when. . .   well, let's just say a Certain Fellow "Professional" was repeating a lie about me in various chat rooms, and when I called him on it, and produced a witness to confirm the true version of the story, said "professional" said he didn't care, and intended to continue telling the lie.

Paul Kupperberg has joked about this kind of thing. As he puts it, there are PLENTY of reasons for people to think I'm an asshole, but NONE of them are the ones that keep circulating on the web!

[Handy Help for Byrne Bashers: what you take from that is "Even Byrne's FRIENDS think he's an ASSHOLE!!" You're welcome.]

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 5  

[Handy Help for Byrne Bashers: what you take from that is "Even Byrne's FRIENDS think he's an ASSHOLE!!" You're welcome.]
~~~~~~
People have asked me why do I like John Byrne he's an asshole? I say well so am I. He doesn't hold that against me. Why should I hold it against him?

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 6  

John Byrne wrote:
...we're still talking about that one Jewish guy they nailed to a cross!

••

A classic example of Christians not knowing their own story. In the original Greek, Jesus is executed by being nailed/tied to a stauros, or vertical stake, without a crossbeam. The cross did not work its way into Christian mythology until about five centuries later.

The cross lends itself so much better to serve Christianity from an iconography standpoint -- we wouldn't want people thinking that Jesus was a vampire, and that he rose on the third day because he wasn't properly staked!

:-D

;-)

Just curiously -- and  a bit off topic, so I apologize for that (and I know I probably should know this already) -- was the cross something else we co-opted from some other pagan tradition (like how we conveniently celebrate the "birthday" of Jesus coincides with the timeframe when winter solstice and Saturnalia festivals used to occur)?  Nothing comes to mind regarding the (original) use of crosses and crucifixion throughout history based on what I've studied.

[Edited because I left out the word "celebrate" and the sentence didn't make much sense]

Edited by John Bodin on 15 September 2013 at 10:27am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 7  

…we wouldn't want people thinking that Jesus was a vampire…

••

Altho he DID compel his followers to drink his blood.

++

…was the cross something else we co-opted from some other pagan tradition…

••

Yup. The cross is an ancient form.

Side Note: Emperor Constantine "converted" after a vision of the Cross in the sky, leading him to call upon the Christian God to help him win a battle. Illustrations of this traditionally show the Christian cross, but what Constantine "actually" saw was an X, first letter of the Greek word for Christ (from whence also springs Xmas), with another Greek letter, looking rather like a tall P, superimposed. Constantine made this his symbol:

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 8  

Jason- if they started their own forum it would truly be an utopia. They could run it correctly, exactly how it should be ran, and no one would ever complain....

Because it would only have one forum member.

Long live Byrnerobotics, with it's warts and all, it's one my favorite places on the web.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 9  

Mark H:  "I guess if you read them and don't like them, that's sort of the danger of 'meeting' the human inside your hero. I appreciate how much JB is willing to share of himself, but then I get the feeling that I like the man."

I think this is an excellent point that doesn't get enough attention.  JB has always been open in published interviews before the internet, but it's nothing like the unfiltered insight we get through this Forum.  It is strangely unprecedented in comic books - a lot of writers and artists are cautious in their public comments.  They likely don't want to get a rise out of the hardcore fans, who reward them for being publicity-friendly conventioneers.  Like any other artist I respect, I want to hear JB's real opinions, not some sanitized persona.  There is an intellectual honesty to JB's comments that reminds me of Bruce Springsteen interviews.  And on top of this, as much as JB is critical of aspects of arts or politics, he is just as bracing about his own work.  I often find myself having to defend the value of Alpha Flight with the guy who created Alpha Flight!!

And lets not forget that he cracks some good gags - I like the joke about a "Martyrs" sub-forum so much that I now want us to really create a "Martyrs" sub-forum!

I am so glad JB gives opinions about his work, the state of the comic book industry, an any other topic he has interest of insight.  JB has been online since the beginning, and as a result, early iterations of the Forum were a traffic jam of comic book aficionados, budding writers, and journalistic pundits looking for a microphone, and JB has always had a good microphone. 

I'm glad that people who used to treat this website as their own personal blog now have other outlets.  I see all the mistakes we made in the early days happen over and over again on Facebook, Twitter, and poorly conceived discussion forums.  These websites seem to reward politeness, brevity, and being oh-so-clever.  In the worst hands, it's an exercise in Fake.   The Forum gives us a place to post a long diatribe if we have a lot to say, or a quick line if the discussion calls for it.  At the end of the day, the JBF is more interesting and feels more honest.

As someone who comes here as a fan of JB's work, that's been my main focus, with the fun and interesting conversation as being gravy.  Greg seems to be looking for something more - a community that I am not sure can work on the internet without effecting one's actual personal life.  And I am not willing to sacrifice my personal life and time because Greg is lonely.

Interaction on the internet is young and still evolving, but I think this forum has excellent balance.  A good website with a discussion forum needs defined parameters - both conceptually and with actual rules.  Conceptually, the JBF starts with JB's work and then it ranges to parts unknown pretty fast.  But that it starts with JB's work and opinions is a great foundation to build on.  The actual rules of the Forum are born from experience, and they are solid and force people to be substantive.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 10  

Matt R:  "Every week people ask John various art and story questions, they ask about past work and they querry him on his art collection as well as collecting figurines, models and the like."

I guess its unavoidable that we all see the Forum through our own perspective.  My favorite threads are the ones that discuss the latest issues of JB's work as the stories are released.  The rest of the forum orbits around those threads in my mind because they are the coolest.  I can read a story and then read insight directly from the writer.

To someone else, this is a Forum dedicated to bashing religion.  I feel the discussions have represented both sides very well and have made for interesting reading where I feel I have learned something.  I certainly learn more here than I learn on Facebook, which gives me far too much information about what people are eating.  I don't want to know what you are eating, and I certainly don't want to see a picture of it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 11  

To someone else, this is a Forum dedicated to bashing religion.

••

It IS!!! If only there was some way to eliminate all this comic book and STAR TREK fiddle-faddle!!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 12  

Ha!!  Never!

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version