Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: a not-so-funny thing happened on the way to this forum (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 1  

How exactly does atheists snarking about theists (with Christians being the most familiar to North Americans) equate with one religious group trying to exterminate the other?
It does NOT equate. I brought up the current plight of Middle East Christians in a response to a specific comment that dismissed the idea of them being an oppressed minority. They can be, and have been, was the point.

THAT point was subsequently dismissed, so I introduced some of the details via link. None of that stuff is meant to be a commentary on the disrespect of Christianity on this forum.  
Back to Top profile | search

Christophe Malgrain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 2  

I like this forum a lot. I come here everyday and love to learn new anecdotes about JB's past work and to see previews of his new work and commissions. I read the religious threads and find it funny that the threads usually start with the usual atheists criticizing religion and laughing about it until one christian takes his shield and his sword and comes to the rescue of his invisible friend. Then,he gets lynched by the crowd. I'm an anti-cleric too and I love to read JB's comments because snarkiness put aside, the guy is cultured and knows what he is talking about. I don't read the US-centered threads like politics and guns because you guys mention politicians and events that we foreigners don't know about.The forum is great as it is, but if I may make a suggestion, the threads about JB's new work which are not on the main forum should be duplicated here, since this is the place people come to in order to know what's going to come out. For instance, I was unaware JB was working on a Star Trek photonovel and if someone hadn't mentioned this project here and said it was in the ST forum,I wouldn't have heard of it. I don't naturally go to the ST forum because although I like this series, I'm not a big fan of it. I'm a big fan of JB's ST, though, and I'm looking forward to reading this new story he has imagined.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Christophe Malgrain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 2:33am | IP Logged | 3  

May I suggest another thing ? What about creating an equivalent of the "what's in your sketchbook?" thread for the professional artsts on this forum ?

Edited by Christophe Malgrain on 15 September 2013 at 2:36am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 3:03am | IP Logged | 4  

2003: "Oh you'll miss me when I'm gone".

2013: "Oh, I pity you that I'm no longer around"."

But I wasn't even aware that you left. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 5  

May I suggest another thing ? What about creating an equivalent of the "what's in your sketchbook?" thread for the professional artsts on this forum ?

••

That would range into the realms of self-promotion, which is discouraged here. (With one obvious exception, of course!)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 6  

This is a pretty nice little community

~~~~~~~

Everyone is that true are we a community?

••

Years ago, Paul Kupperberg came up with what I consider one of the best descriptions. When he was working as an editor at DC, and living in Stamford, CT, Paul would take the train into and out of New York every weekday. Same train, same hour, so, naturally, same people. And social groups began to form among those people. "Chat rooms" and "Forums", if you will, but in the real world. But a very specific slice of the real world. Sometimes the associations that developed on the train extended beyond the train, but mostly not.

That sounds very much like what happens online.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 7  

It does NOT equate. I brought up the current plight of Middle East Christians in a response to a specific comment that dismissed the idea of them being an oppressed minority. They can be, and have been, was the point. 

THAT point was subsequently dismissed, so I introduced some of the details via link. None of that stuff is meant to be a commentary on the disrespect of Christianity on this forum.   

-----

That Christians can be persecuted is no surprise to anyone aware of history and current events. It's a bit insulting to point out, "Hey, Christians can be killed for their religion!" None of that is really relevant to the context in which Christians as an "oppressed minority" was being discussed.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 8  

That Christians can be persecuted is no surprise to anyone aware of history and current events. It's a bit insulting to point out, "Hey, Christians can be killed for their religion!" None of that is really relevant to the context in which Christians as an "oppressed minority" was being discussed.

••

It does, however, perfectly illustrate how far too many Christians view themselves. Consider the whining we have to put up with every year over the "War on Christmas". The suggestion that "Seasons Greetings" might be a more appropriate salutation, for instance, since the time of year is shared by other religious festivals, is cause for Christian outrage -- staggeringly ironic, when we consider that the Christians appropriated that time of year from some of those other religions! Or the howls from Christian quarters when anyone uses "Xmas" -- "They're taking the Christ out of Christmas!!" -- coming from people so ill-informed about their own "faith" they don't even know "Xmas" is a Christian abbreviation!

Being ill-informed is what most Christians do best, it seems. From the Pope on down, thru all the cults and subcults, there is so much nonsense ballyhooed as "Christian Tradition" while actually having little or nothing to do with what's actually in the Bible. (Again, Christmas is a good example. No specific date is given for the birth of the Christian "messiah", but surrounding events make it clear it was NOT the end of December.)

Even pointing any of this out to a Christian, tho, is likely to unleash cries of "persecution". Poor babies. It must be tough to belong to the dominant faith on the planet. For one thing, it makes it so HARD to claim to be a persecuted minority!

Hey, Christians! You want to talk persecution? Go have a chat with your Jewish friends --- if you have any!

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 5:40am | IP Logged | 9  

Philippe Negrin wrote:
Mockery of christians here ? I would say it's more about rejecting religious fanaticism and bigotry in general. 

I'm good with rejecting religious fanaticism and bigotry in general, and I'm equally okay with calling out idiots for being idiots, but it chafes me a bit when I get lumped in with, labeled as, and summarily dismissed for being just another one of those idiotic, bigoted, religious fanatics just becaue I choose to label myself (loosely) as a "Christian."  I think that's the same issue someone like Zaki Hasan would have with people generalizing about burning Korans to commemorate the loss of Americans on 9/11.

It does make me chuckle when one of my more "fundamentalist" Christian friends brands me as an "Episcopagan" and asks me if I hugged any of my gay parishioners during our weekly worship of Gaia, though -- that's just funny.  

Like the song says, "clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right . . ."

;-)

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 10  

John Byrne wrote:
Hey, Christians! You want to talk persecution? Go have a chat with your Jewish friends --- if you have any!

Oh, trust me, we know -- we're still talking about that one Jewish guy they nailed to a cross!

:-D

;-)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 11  

Disrespect and outright mockery of Christians would likely not be tolerated if another "beleaguered minority" were on the receiving end of it.

++

They DO still teach in school what quotation marks mean, right?

They identify the beginning and end of a word for word citing of another party. I'd be confused by your confusion, if I didn't recognize the question as just routine insta-snark.

••

I'm not "confused" -- to use quotation marks as you define them -- but you clearly are. I wasn't using them to reflect a quotation, since I wasn't quoting anyone with my use of the phrase "beleaguered minority".

Quotation marks are also used to indicate when words or phrases are being used that do not really mean or represent what some who might use them think they do. Such as those who would try to present Christians as belonging to a "beleaguered minority" when clearly they are anything but. This secondary usage is the whole point of "air quotes" (see what I did, there?).

To borrow a line from THE PRINCESS BRIDE, quotation marks are sometimes a way of saying "I do not think that means what you think it means".

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 12  

I'm a Christian and I take no more offense at comments made about it than I do at someone making comments about not liking current comics. Everyone is allowed to think what they want to think and the last time I checked this forum doesn't have the rule that you have to think like everyone else.

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version