Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: a not-so-funny thing happened on the way to this forum (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 1  

Disrespect and outright mockery of Christians would likely not be tolerated if another "beleaguered minority" were on the receiving end of it.

•••

They DO still teach in school what quotation marks mean, right?

If Christianity was really a beleaguered minority, I'd be right on the front lines defending it. Unfortunately, since I've read a few history books and watched a few news shows, I know the real role of Christianity is closer to that of a schoolyard bully.

Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 2  

Boards can become so segmented to try and allay any confrontation at all with anyone that they become neutered.  If you want that kind of board, go somewhere else.  That's not the JBF

I hate to even comment but it sure seems like a mixed message when there are so many sub-forums.  Sports don't interest JB but Star Trek, Movies, Star Wars, etc. do so JB's interests and personal responsibility by the members doesn't really cover the bases. 

For all the same reasons that politics, religion, etc. can be avoided on the main forum can be said about any of the other sub categories too if they were still on the main forum.  I'm not asking for an explanation or a change in the forum but I do think it's somewhat inconsistent.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

Disrespect and outright mockery of Christians would likely not be tolerated if another "beleaguered minority" were on the receiving end of it. Perhaps the resentment stems from the perception(correct or not) of being conspicously singled out for ridicule.
-----------------
I'm a Christian. Heck I'm clergy. You know what I've noticed on this particular score? I've noticed that American right-wing Christians (who may technically be a minority in the U.S. but who wield a great deal of political power and are pretty loud) get bashed a whole lot. They mostly have it coming, and aren't particularly 'beleagured'. When, however, for example, the Christian and Muslim religious minorities in Syria who are under threat and legitimate persecution have come up on this board, not one of those angry atheists came in and said, "Good! Kill 'em all! They've got it coming!"

I made a decision, after some heated discussions when I joined the forum back in the day, to just not participate in religious threads. They go in circles, the same circles, generally, every thread. Moreso, though, I came to the conclusion that I have no silver bullet arguments that are going to suddenly cause any of the atheists on the board to 'find Jesus', nor will any amount of their mockery of the peanut butter idiot cause me to doubt my faith. So my participation in those discussions may generate a lot more heat, but it doesn't shed any light on anything for anyone.

I enjoy this board as a good place to discuss comics, toys, movies, television shows, Star Trek, etc. I don't have to be interested in, enjoy, or participate in every thread.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 4  

For whatever it's worth, I like it here. I think it's a well run forum, I think there's a nice mix of topics, and I appreciate the effort that the mods put into making things run smoothly. 

There are plenty of people from this board (even people who are no longer on this board, but that I "met" through this board) that I've become even closer online friends with on Facebook. There are people who have sent me gifts - I even got one from JB himself! - and people to whom I've sent books and things. 

This is a pretty nice little community, and while I can understand the occasional flare up of discontent about "why are things the way they are?" I think we're all responsible for ourselves and our own participation on the forum. You generally get what you put in. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

mockery of the peanut butter idiot cause me to doubt my faith

-----

Looking back at the peanut butter thread, I have to call bullshit on the original premise of this thread. As noted, the guy's an idiot. Does the fact that he's a Christian trying to make an argument in favor of Creationism make him immune to criticism? Whether you believe in Creationism or not, his argument was ridiculous. Why should the fact that he's Christian preclude anyone from making commentary?

And the rest of the thread is rather tame back and forth about what/why people believe/disbelieve. I've participated in some of the more vitriolic religion threads on this board. The peanut butter thread was a relative snoozefest.

Was peanut butter guy a relative of Greg's?

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 6  

I hate to even comment but it sure seems like a mixed message when there are so many sub-forums.  Sports don't interest JB but Star Trek, Movies, Star Wars, etc. do so JB's interests and personal responsibility by the members doesn't really cover the bases. 

---

Andy - my personal and unsubstantiated guesses are...

General Forum - general discussions about life, the universe, etc.

Movies, TV, Music, Sports - logical subdivisions based on media and entertainment forms that would otherwise fill the general forum and make general discussion topics harder to find. 

Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who - huge franchises that encompass movies, TV series', books, video games, theme parks, etc and would thus be easier to navigate if all information about them was in one place, rather than having to search for news of the latest DVD release of Clone Wars or the latest casting rumours for Episode VII or the most recent John Williams Star Wars Orchestra tour. 

Everything else is pretty self-explanatory - the Commissions, Pencil Scans, Galleries, Checklist to give those only looking for JB's work an easier way to find it, etc. 

It's really quite logical. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

Brad Krawchuk writes -This is a pretty nice little community

~~~~~~~
Everyone is that true are we a community?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

Brad Krawchuk writes -This is a pretty nice little community

~~~~~~~
Everyone is that true are we a community?

------

No, we look nothing like this:

Although, if Alison Brie or Gillian Jacobs are lurking around here.... DIBS.

Mark Rand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

Disrespect and outright mockery of Christians would likely not be tolerated if another "beleaguered minority" were on the receiving end of it.
•••

They DO still teach in school what quotation marks mean, right?

They identify the beginning and end of a word for word citing of another party. I'd be confused by your confusion, if I didn't recognize the question as just routine insta-snark. If you're ever running low on ammo, I'm pretty sure I ended a sentence with a preposition somewhere around here...

If Christianity was really a beleaguered minority, I'd be right on the front lines defending it. Unfortunately, since I've read a few history books and watched a few news shows, I know the real role of Christianity is closer to that of a schoolyard bully.

This article appeared just over 24 hours ago:
Campaign to Rid the Middle East of Christianity

But if you get the impression it's all fantasy concocted by right-wing religious zealots, try this one from liberal HuffPo:

The Situation of Christians in the Middle East  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 10  

But if you get the impression it's all fantasy concocted by right-wing religious zealots, try this one from liberal HuffPo:

-----

How exactly does atheists snarking about theists (with Christians being the most familiar to North Americans) equate with one religious group trying to exterminate the other? I don't get your point. This is one of the things non-believers are criticizing: people killing each other over belief in the imaginary.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 11  

Seriously what would be the worst thing to happen if religion of all kinds suddenly became obsolete?  What if concrete proof sudden became available to finally lay to bed the myth that is a supreme being ?

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 12  

Mockery of christians here ? I would say it's more about rejecting religious fanaticism and bigotry in general. 

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version