Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: a not-so-funny thing happened on the way to this forum (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think I can sum up how I'd feel about some topics is fewer paragraphs than Greg did in the OP, but I've learned to just get to the point with as best an explanation as possible of my point of view on the political and religious topics, then step back and let them have at it. The controversial threads usually sink out of the forum updates on their own anyways. I suppose Greg found something in one of them that made him forget the part about living and letting live.

You can't change what some people have decided to be. What you can do is realize that, and know when you've said your mind. If you're getting so offended at someone comments that you have to write an 800-word editorial about it, it might be time to take that step outside.
Back to Top profile | search

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 2  

The JBF is hands down my favorite message board style forum on the Internet, and I'd like to once again offer my sincere thanks to the moderating team for the effort they expend in keeping this place civil. Personally, I'd enjoy seeing a lot more message boards being run like this place. Maybe a few more people might be coaxed into actually thinking before posting.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm of the same opinion as Mark Haslett. This board isn't exactly what I want it to be, but it is exactly what it wants to be and the reason I stay. It is easy to both ignore what I don't like and participate in what I do like. The lack of anonymity is also a huge draw.

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 4  

I don't know where you guys are hanging out, every other forum I go to is well run. And on each one I appreciate the moderators taking care of business in their free time. One of them doesn't even have moderators, probably because it also doesn't have hate-filled assholes. The reason why this board is special is because John Byrne is here.

Mark Rand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 5  

It always amazes me at how paper thin is the skin of a lot of Christians.
••
Watching them play the role of beleaguered minority is astonishing on SO many levels!
Disrespect and outright mockery of Christians would likely not be tolerated if another "beleaguered minority" were on the receiving end of it.  Perhaps the resentment stems from the perception(correct or not) of being conspicously singled out for ridicule. If a thread materialized making fun of The Pentagon's Gay Pride events, I doubt we'd see posts marvelling at the paper thin skin of homosexuals who complained about it.  I don't consider myself a Christian, but it's clear they're indeed a minority on this forum. In many parts of the Middle East, they're currently facing a violent and escalating campaign to cleanse them from existence altogether. So it ain't all rainbows and sunshine out there for Christians.  I don't think it's foolish or petty for concerns about the negative tone of certain topics to be raised occasionally.

All that being said, I find it easy enough to avoid threads of a political nature that are likely to get on my nerves. I find this board to be a great place to discuss superheroes and movies, and hear insights from an industry pro.  I suggest just stepping around the other stuff.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 6  

Pete York wrote:
I don't know where you guys are hanging out, every other forum I go to is well run. And on each one I appreciate the moderators taking care of business in their free time. One of them doesn't even have moderators, probably because it also doesn't have hate-filled assholes. The reason why this board is special is because John Byrne is here.

As a mod here, I'm not quite sure how to take this but...OK.  

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

You guys do a great job, Matt!

Trevor Phillip
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

Most other boards have separate rooms for politics and religion threads (at least the ones I go to).  That's so those few who relish that sort of circle jerking can do so off the main board. 

I agree with Greg.  In my short time here I've learned to stay away from the threads with politics or religion in them, mostly because the Mods appear to agree with the people whose opinions I disagree with (a minority few around here) and what I see is just a regular beat down of those dissenting opinions.  Add to that I thought this was a comic-book forum centered around John Byrne....I don't understand why all that blood pressure raising crap doesn't have it's own thread.  I actually feel it is irresponsible for any of the Mods to participate in these hot-topic threads.  I notice John Byrne seems to stay away from most of them - with only the very occasional comment.  A couple other Mods could stand to take a lesson from his book and post less.

The main boards should be a collective of pop-culture related topics that just don't have a distinct home in a sub-forum.   That way a visitor here isn't bombarded by "Syria" "Guns" "God" blah blah blah when they log in -- I'd hope most are coming here to escape that bullshit for a few minutes.

Those sort of threads need to have their own sub-forum and Mods need to tell folks who try and derail pop-culture threads with chatter about these topics to take it to the appropriate sub-forum.   It's fucking ludicrous that a thread promoting John Byrne's new Star Trek work gets shut down and the poster scolded for not posting in the Star Trek forum -- but countless threads of anti-bible thumpers can continue to post on the main board.

Just my 2 cents.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 9  

Trevor Phillip wrote:
I don't understand why all that blood pressure raising crap doesn't have it's own thread.

But it does. If you don't like participating in threads where there are disagreements with other board members, there are certainly enough threads here to do just that.  Is anyone forcing you to read political threads?  Anyone holding your hand to the fire to participate in gun threads?  Is anyone but yourself saying that you must click on religious threads?  No.  Not at all.  But dog forbid personal responsibility. It's the way the forum is set up and the moderators that are the ultimate problem.

Please. 

Boards can become so segmented to try and allay any confrontation at all with anyone that they become neutered.  If you want that kind of board, go somewhere else.  That's not the JBF.  Never has been despite what some may remember.  Never will be. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 10  

Shawn Kane wrote:
You guys do a great job, Matt!

Thanks! We try.  We're not always perfect, but we do the best that we are able. We may piss some people off, but that's the life of a moderator on any board anywhere on the net.  Ah well. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
I I notice John Byrne seems to stay away from most of them - with only the very occasional comment.  A couple other Mods could stand to take a lesson from his book and post less.

You must be visiting a different board. On topics like gun control and religion (to name two of the hot-button topics you are alluding to), JB often STARTS the thread. It seems to me he's interested in discussing these topics, so I don't see how these threads are inappropriate in the main forum. If the thread is titled clearly, it's easy not to click on it. 

Edited by Michael Roberts on 14 September 2013 at 7:40pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

Add to that I thought this was a comic-book forum centered around John Byrne....I don't understand why all that blood pressure raising crap doesn't have it's own thread.

•••

Some people treat this Forum like a Twitter account. When I log on in the morning, I wonder what new thread will have appeared that is of absolutely NO interest to me. (Sometimes I wonder how they can be of interest to anyone beyond the initial poster!)

But I can ignore those threads. I can ignore anything I like. Forum has my name on it, after all. Which means, of course, that I can start threads of my own, about things that interest me. And I can dive into other threads that touch upon things that interest me.

As can anyone.

Which is why I find it appalling (not a word I use lightly) that any of you should COMPLAIN that there are threads you don't want to read. Hey, door is always open. Costs the same to leave as it costs to come in -- nothing!

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version