Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Shouldn’t That Be IRON FIST & POWER MAN? - 09.07.2013 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Frank wrote: I absolutely LOVE this piece! Reminds me of that childhood love I had with comics and my first introduction to Iron Fist and JB.  Iron Fist was a favorite character simply because JB's art seemed to be far and above anyone else's at that time.

----------------

Frank, I have a similar experience to yours.

I distinctly remember that Iron Fist #12 was the first comic that I ever really took notice (or cared) who the artist was. Before that, I had never really bothered to read the credits. But when I saw that issue, my young mind was so blown away by the art, I had to know who drew it. I checked the credits, and I was like "Who is this John Byrne guy?" Then I started noticing that almost every comicbook that I really loved was pencilled by this same fellow: Iron Fist, Marvel Team-Up, X-Men, etc. And from then on I was hooked.

It's also when I first began to realize just how important the art is when it comes to my enjoyment of comics. I personally think it's actually more important than the writing. After all, the artist is as much the storyteller as the writer, and the art is the first thing that a potential reader sees.

This was never more evident to me than after JB left the X-Men. I said to myself, "Well, Claremont is still writing it, so even though the art won't be as pretty, the stories should still be just as good." How wrong I was. I think I lasted two issue after John left. I couldn't believe how important he (the artist) was to the actual storytelling of the book.

Edited by Bill Sandefur on 08 September 2013 at 8:16am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Great piece JB! Danny and Luke have never looked so good.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Fliegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I would love to see some new Power Man and Iron Fist stories. It might even
be fun to see them set in the 70s.
There's a recent issue of Deadpool that is set in a flashback crossover between Danny, Luke, and Deadpool.  Obviously very different in tone to the original PM&IF, but the characters stay true to the way they were depicted back then.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Fliegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Bringing Iron Fist back in NAMOR was tremendously satisfying for me, personally. I broke one of my own rules doing it -- continuing a story from a canceled book in another title -- but I felt Danny merited a much better ending, if one was deemed necessary, than the one he got.

And, of course, when rascally Roger Stern pointed out to me one day that "Tyrone King" was another way of saying "Master Khan". . .

I thought that story was one of the most well-executed "Everything you thought you knew -- and that the writer at the time intended -- was wrong" I've ever seen.  You played fair with what we had been told at the time, but put a completely different spin on it to create a radically different story.  The story you told was a great story in its own right and served to bring Danny back onto the board as a viable character.  Kudos!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I thought that story was one of the most well-executed "Everything you thought you knew -- and that the writer at the time intended -- was wrong" I've ever seen. You played fair with what we had been told at the time, but put a completely different spin on it to create a radically different story. The story you told was a great story in its own right and served to bring Danny back onto the board as a viable character. Kudos!

••

Thanks. I think of it as an example -- one of the last of which I am aware -- of what we used to call "Marvel Serendipity". The kind of stuff that just falls together as if it was actually intended all along.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Every commission you've done with Iron Fist is absolutely kinetic, JB! He's
always bursting off the page! Love this one!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Back in the days when I was doing IRON FIST, I would get a lot of compliments, via mail or in person at convention appearances, from people who imagined that I was well versed in kung fu, since what I drew was so "accurate". I simply could not live a lie, and had to tell them that I really knew next to nothing about martial arts. Chris had sent me a book of photos he thought would be helpful, and after flipping thru it a few times to get the "feel", I set it to one side and simply drew Danny in the most dynamic poses I could. Chris would then pick random terms (possibly from his own copy of the same book) and apply them to what I'd drawn.

One of my favorites from this approach was in the battle with Scimitar, where Iron Fist punches him thru a wall, leaps after him, grabs his sash, vaults over him, and lands on the other side. Seeing what I'd drawn, Chris wrote something like "The leap is impossible, but you make it anyway." Without ever having seen a kung fu movie, I was anticipating those impossible kick and leaps that would become a staple of "wire fighting"!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I always love -your- Misty John! When she turned up in Namor that was a fabulous treat.

••

I should add that Misty Knight has been a favorite of mine since I "met" her, which happened to have been the first time I drew her. I was SO happy I was allowed to get rid of the Emma Peel inspired outfit she had on in that first meeting.

It made me sad to leave IRON FIST mostly because it meant leaving Misty. I've admitted before that Tony Murcheson, in NEXT MEN, was very much Misty's "goddaughter".

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

LOVE this one! Two of my favorite characters drawn by my favorite artist, this may actually be my new #1.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 08 September 2013 at 10:35am

William Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I absolutely love the image but still hate the way IF was brought back in Namor.  I was glad to have the character back but the way it was done irritated me at the time.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JB:  "It made me sad to leave IRON FIST mostly because it meant leaving Misty. I've admitted before that Tony Murcheson, in NEXT MEN, was very much Misty's 'goddaughter'."

Don't tell Sandy!!  Do you know what havoc she would wreak with THIS information???  :-)

I had no idea about this.  As a longtime fan of NEXT MEN and yet relatively new to the JB run on IRON FIST, it's really cool!!

Scott Green
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I was able to see a small image on my phone yesterday, but wanted to wait till I got home from the Baltimore Comic Con so I could see it on the larger screen before posting.  WOW, WOW, and WOW!!!  John, you have exceeded my expectations again with another incredible masterpiece!!!  I was wondering if you were going to go with a straight action piece or something with small vignettes as done in the original, and you did both!  I absolutely love this piece and could not have asked for anything more.  I can hardly wait to see this beauty in person.

Thank you very much sir!!!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version