Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: Do you think the US should go into Syria? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

If you want to have a mature discussion here about this issue, fine, but
if you're going to start pulling in and attacking members' social media
sites that have nothing to do with this forum, then the topic will be
closed.
Back to Top profile | search

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 11:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

Jodi Moisan wrote:
Speaking of being corrupt enough to take innocent lives in foreign lands (as well as the lives of U.S. soldiers abroad) solely for their own gain, isn't that what Democrats, liberals, and those on the left spent eight years accusing Bush and Cheney (and their administration) of doing?

Because all the major players benefited financially from it in the Bush Adminstration!!!!! Hell Halliburton was nearly bankrupt until the Iraq war started , Cheney had financial ties to it all along. He and Rumsfeld both are tied to businesses that made MILLIONS from going to war. Where is Obama getting rich over Syria? Where is Biden getting rich from it.

So who's financially (or otherwise) benefiting from what's going on in Syria now?  There's gotta be some benefit to account for the urgency, given that unilateral action on our part at this time could ignite a powder keg the likes of which we haven't seen in our lifetime.  If you don't think what's going on right now doesn't look a lot like the makings of another major world conflict, then you're not paying much attention.

Why does it make so much sense for us to take action when none -- not ONE -- of our allies will stand with us?  If money and greed drove Bush and Cheney and the previous administration to wage war, then what's driving the current administration to go down that same road?

If it's the atrocities and human rights violations we're so outraged and upset about, then why is it we're not so concerned about backwater countries in Africa that have no oil reserves or natural resources that we're concerned about -- places where similar atrocities and human rights violations occur every day?

Speaking of atrocities, is Australia still boycotting the U.S. over the Chris Lane shooting?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 3  

Bob Simko wrote:
If you want to have a mature discussion here about this issue, fine, but if you're going to start pulling in and attacking members' social media sites that have nothing to do with this forum, then the topic will be closed.

Thank you, Bob.  My apologies for my part in the discussion.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

Speaking of atrocities, is Australia still boycotting the U.S. over the Chris Lane shooting?

-----

What boycott? There was a call for a tourism boycott, but as far as I know, one was not enacted. And it was not over the Chris Lane shooting. It was a call for a boycott over U.S. gun policy that some Australians feel enabled the Chris Lane shooting.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2013 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 5  

So who's financially (or otherwise) benefiting from what's going on in Syria now?  There's gotta be some benefit to account for the urgency, given that unilateral action on our part at this time could ignite a powder keg the likes of which we haven't seen in our lifetime.  If you don't think what's going on right now doesn't look a lot like the makings of another major world conflict, then you're not paying much attention.

The Syria Govt gassed it's citizens!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You think because Bush and his band of thieves did it, everyone has done it or will do it. NOT THE CASE!!!!  It is about using a nerve gas on innocent citizens. That is something we should NEVER accept as a world community.

Now Russia is changing their tune and President Vladimir Putin has now said "Russia "doesn't exclude" supporting a U.N. resolution on punitive military strikes if it is proved that Damascus used poison gas on its own people."

but if you're going to start pulling in and attacking members' social media sites that have nothing to do with this forum

Bob it did pertain to the discussion,

Here is how John answered me back:
"I don't watch FOX News Jodi -- don't even know what channel is it on my receiver.  I don't frequent the FOX News site either, nor do I even visit it on occasion.  You can profile and label me all you want, but don't believe for a moment that I conveniently fall into the "right-wing" stereotypes that you seem so desperately to want to shoehorn me into."

He posted that I was some kind of desperate person for thinking he was a right -wing stereotype, that I seemed so desperately wanting to shoehorn him into. That I was just pulling things from the thin air.

If someone is saying they are one way, but publicly show they are not that person, but in a post here, turn around and try to make me look like I am a terrible person for my statement. Then I feel I should have a right to to defend myself. After all, it is THEIR words and actions they are posting. I did not make up an untruth about John. I assume he stands behind his facebook posts.

But if it will close down what I think is a very important discussion, I will not do it again.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2013 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 6  

Back to the subject title...

My answer is NO.  However, I think what Obama is doing is very smart. 

His advisors want us to go in.  I believe he really does not want to get America back into another unwinnable war.  So he puts it on Congress to decide.  This does not make him a weak President, but, as I said, a very smart one.

The majority of Americans want us to stay out of it.  So by making Congress decide and thereby "forcing" Obama to atttack if they say yes, how do you think those mid-terms elections wil go for the Republicans...?  He also put the 'Pubs between a rock & a hard place in having to do something they think the President wants.  They've made it their policy to NOT do what he wants.

I cannot wait to see how this plays out in Congress.  The disjointedness in the way Obama and his advisors are asking of Congress should clue them into the halfheartedness of this request.  We shall see...

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 04 September 2013 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 7  

Social media sites have varying levels of privacy based on the users' desire. If the actual user wants to cross-post something here, that's fine, but cross-posting someone else's social media postings, regardless of perceived relevance w/out the owners permission is a no-no.

If you want to Twitter-war or Facebook battle, do it on those sites.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 04 September 2013 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 8  

He also put the 'Pubs between a rock & a hard place in having to do something they think the President wants.

And you see that as a good thing?  I don't share your opinion of the situation, but if I did I would have to reclassify Obama as a complete scumbag. These are people's lives being destroyed in Syria, and you think Obama is using it as a political move to pull a fast one on the Republicans?  That would make him worse than the worst of them.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2013 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 9  

Thom,so you'd rather AMERICAN lives be wasted instead.

This is NOT our battle.  Yeah, it's heart-wrenching, BUT the US needs to butt out or work with a United Nations force.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 04 September 2013 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 10  

Thom,so you'd rather AMERICAN lives be wasted instead.

And I said that where?  

You assigned Obama's motives to political expediency; if I believed that to be true, I would consider him a despicable human being.  Fortunately, I happen to believe he's doing what he thinks is right, not as a scheme to trap the Republicans.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rob Van Gessel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2013 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 11  

The US should have taken over Iraq and ran it until they were able to run it themselves.

I would like to think this post was irony but I don't think it was. If I'm right, it's a reminder of what a dangerously and stupidly simplistic world so many of us live in. We're a hopelessly dumb species.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2013 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 12  

Jodi,

Responding to one cockamaime theory (President Obama having a hand in the Syrian chemical attacks) with another (President Bush and Vice-President Cheney waging war in Iraq so that Haliburton can make money) is not exactly the best way to win a debate.

Anyway, my answer would be no - a man who has no problem gassing civilians would also have no problem planting them around strategic bombing sites, so all we would accomplish is getting more innocent people killed. If the only goal is to teach a lesson, well...I don't think that he'd really get the hint.

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version