Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: Do you think the US should go into Syria? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 1  

I would highly recommend the coverage of Syria on Russia Today, Jodi.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

The monitoring of personal communication be it email or telephone calls was one of the hallmarks of the Patriot Act, John.  That act was passed under Bush.  It was expanded under Bush and maintained under Obama. That said, you're incredibly naive if you believe only the Obama Administration engaged in the kind of mass culling of personal information that recently came to light. My reason to believe that is the extensive reach of the Patriot Act.  That's all I need to know. 

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

I believe the NSA has been doing it's thing thanks to the "Patriot Act" since way back during the Bush administration, Matt, so no naivete here, thanks.

The IRS targeting conservative groups to serve the current reigning party, however, certainly seems like new business to me.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

Steve de Young wrote:
I would highly recommend the coverage of Syria on Russia Today, Jodi.

Definitely some good stuff out there:

Turkey finds sarin gas in homes of suspected Syrian Islamists

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

It is impossible to form any kind of objective opinion on what's going on in Syria based solely on U.S. media sources because they are completely one sided in their coverage. They won't even let the other side speak. Where was the U.S. media coverage when Assad said this early this year:

“They call it a revolution, but in fact it has nothing to do with revolutions. A revolution needs thinkers. A revolution is built on thought. Where are their thinkers? A revolution needs leaders. Who is its leader? Revolutions are built on science and thought not on ignorance, on pushing the country ahead not taking it centuries back, on spreading light not cutting power lines. A revolution is usually done by the people not by importing foreigners to rebel against the people. A revolution is in the interest of people not against the interests of people. Is this a revolution? Are those revolutionaries? They are a bunch of criminals.”

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

Yet another reason not to get involved.  The rebels are not freedom fighters trying to liberate their people; they're just looking to swap one form of tyranny for another.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

Thom I've watched these "rebels" on YouTube eating the body parts of their opponents and singing songs praising Al-Qaeda.  I find it disturbing. 

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 8  

This video is 5 minutes long, but it's worth watching, IMO:

Ron Paul speaks about Syria

From June 27, 2012, yet still very timely.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

John Bodin wrote:
I believe the NSA has been doing it's thing thanks to the "Patriot Act" since way back during the Bush administration, Matt, so no naivete here, thanks.

That's not what you said in the post I replied to, John:

QUOTE:
see my comments about the NSA and the IRS above -- we have no indication or reason to believe that all of THAT went on prior to the current administration

So have you suddenly changed your mind in the space of an hour or so, or did you not mean what you said with regard to the NSA and having "no indication or reason to believe that all of THAT went on prior to the current administration"?

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

I don't watch FOX News Jodi -- don't even know what channel is it on my receiver.  I don't frequent the FOX News site either, nor do I even visit it on occasion.  You can profile and label me all you want, but don't believe for a moment that I conveniently fall into the "right-wing" stereotypes that you seem so desperately to want to shoehorn me into.

John I have seen your facebook wall , are you kidding me? Your posts are so negative it is horrible, 7 out of the last ten posts you made on facebook were the most negative FOX type crap about Obama. In fact the most of your posts are negative political stuff. Your continued negative campaigning is so toxic I took you off my news feed. And your likes on there? They are groups like the following :

Can this Goat get more fans than Barack Obama?'

Or there is this

So John you can post on here and act all , "don't label me I don't watch Fox", No you just post crap just like them.

The IRS targeting conservative groups to serve the current reigning party, however, certainly seems like new business to me.

Then you have not been watching or reading the news for years, because Liberal groups have had the same scrutiny as the tea party.

Speaking of being corrupt enough to take innocent lives in foreign lands (as well as the lives of U.S. soldiers abroad) solely for their own gain, isn't that what Democrats, liberals, and those on the left spent eight years accusing Bush and Cheney (and their administration) of doing?

Because all the major players benefited financially from it in the Bush Adminstration!!!!! Hell Halliburton was nearly bankrupt until the Iraq war started , Cheney had financial ties to it all along. He and Rumsfeld both are tied to businesses that made MILLIONS from going to war. Where is Obama getting rich over Syria? Where is Biden getting rich from it. Jesus do you on the right just pull shit from your asses and believe them as fact? For the life of me, I have NEVER seen such outright untruths and lies against a sitting  president. I wanted to be wrong about Bush, I wanted him to succeed. The moment he was elected I hoped he would do well, because he was MY president now. It was not until he used 9/11 to justify invading a country that did nothing to us, did I end up seeing him as a horrible president. But the blind hatred on the right, shows it wouldn't matter is Jesus came back and ran for office, if he was a democrat you all would find fault with him. 

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 03 September 2013 at 8:19pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Van Gessel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 11  

Jodi,

Very good.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

Matt Reed wrote:
So have you suddenly changed your mind in the space of an hour or so, or did you not mean what you said with regard to the NSA and having "no indication or reason to believe that all of THAT went on prior to the current administration"?

The NSA and the IRS sharing info and working together towards one common goal for the incumbent party is new.  The NSA has been spying on all of us since the inception of the "Patriot Act," and there's plenty of evidence that that dates back to the Bush administration with illegal wiretaps and such.  Sorry I was unclear.

To be honest, I had hoped that the candidate who ran under the banner of "greater transparency" for his administration might have actually done something about the "Patriot Act" and the NSA, but obviously that's not been the case.

EDITED TO ADD:  Just to be fair, the NSA's transgressions under the "Patriot Act" were pretty well-documented -- and hence why I tend to feel that there's nothing "patriotic" about the "Patriot Act:"

NSA eavesdropping program ruled unconstitutional

Edited by John Bodin on 03 September 2013 at 11:08pm

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version