Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: Do you think the US should go into Syria? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 1  

The Hastert Rule has murdered more bills than anyone can imagine.

According to this House rule, if the leading party doesn't want to consider a bill, this preliminary 'vote' prevents the legislation from going to the floor/hopper for an actual vote or even being recorded into the record as being attempted.

This political maneuver is used purely for talking points. Republicans can technically "accurately" state that neither Obama or the Senate have never brought a bill or budget to the House... because they themselves voted it from being placed in the hopper for actual consideration.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 2  

Last data I saw Congress will slam this thing down hard.  It was running like 200+ no with maybe 40 yes.
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

G20 calls it quits as Obama calls Putin a jackass!!

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 12:54am | IP Logged | 4  

LOL Wow wouldn't that be something if that happened.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 1:05am | IP Logged | 5  

John Bodin wrote:
Closing Gitmo may be a good/popular idea, but what do you DO with the detainees?  If housing them in our own "backyard" on U.S. soil is not viewed as a good idea, then surely nobody would advocate simply turning them loose.

Maybe this is naive but instead of locking people up for decades without a fair trial, just like a dictatorship, why not have a fair trial? If they are innocent, release them. If they are guilty, have them serve a sentence in a Federal prison. 

China has so-called "black prisons" where the police can lock someone up for any reason without a trial. Sound familiar?

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 1:06am | IP Logged | 6  

Neil you are exactly right.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 7  

I followed the link in Anthony's post and couldn't help but imagine that if that happened for real, then World War III would be starting up soon after that. I may disagree with Obama's policies, but I sure hope he's not so selfish as the play the bully at a diplomatic summit. There are people there who run countries and armies that could well give us a serious beating if they wanted to.

Of course, this being political satire, I'm sure he isn't that stupid. The man didn't become President of the United States by stuffing peoples' noses in it.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 8  

Just tossing this out because when it comes to doing the right thing, the "good guys" are never in it for the money, and nobody in this administration is getting rich off making war . . .

Senators Authorizing Syria Strike Got More Defense Cash Than Lawmakers Voting No

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 12:02am | IP Logged | 9  

John the link shows none of Obama's administration, thanks for posting this. And do you really think this is news that senators or congress gets money from military contractors? Was this supposed to shock us? My guess is, almost all of them have gotten money from the military contractors.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 10  

Jodi Moisan wrote:
John the link shows none of Obama's administration, thanks for posting this. And do you really think this is news that senators or congress gets money from military contractors? Was this supposed to shock us? My guess is, almost all of them have gotten money from the military contractors.

So Obama's no longer a Democrat? Or he's no longer affiliated with the same party as Barbara Boxer, Ben Cardin, Chris Coons, and Dick Durbin?  Certainly those folks were not appointed by Obama, but as members of the same party who are in office at the same time, they must be working along the same lines, towards common goals of the standing administration, and, hence, an extended part of the administration.

At the very least, they're "his" Senators because they do share the same party, and presumably the same party goals, while also apparently supporting the current administration's goals in the case of Syria, per the article.

Would I have been more correct if I had used the term "lackeys" or "lap-dogs" in place of "administration"?  I think those were the kind of terms used to describe Republican Senators and Representatives when we had a Republican president in office.

I wasn't implying that they were appointees of the current administration, but they are obviously working toward the same goals as the administration, presumably in support of the administration.

Still . . . "administration" . . . "members of the same party who support the administration" . . . "tom-A-to" . . . "tom=AH-to".

There's obviously some daylight between the POTUS and the money trail, but in this case there's no denying that the administration's initiatives undoubtedly benefit from the dollars spent.

Back in 2009, this report showed you didn't need a "dotted line" to make the connection between defense lobby dollars and the Obama administration, though:

Following the money from defense lobby

[Edited for clarity]

Edited by John Bodin on 08 September 2013 at 5:51am

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 11  

So Obama's no longer a Democrat? Or he's no longer affiliated with the same party as Barbara Boxer, Ben Cardin, Chris Coons, and Dick Durbin?  Certainly those folks were not appointed by Obama, but as members of the same party who are in office at the same time, they must be working along the same lines, towards common goals of the standing administration, and, hence, an extended part of the administration.

You have honestly lost it. No lie, John the fact you made the above statement when your own party has as many people taking money from military contractors, make you look like you are crazy. John McCain a republican, is the top person that is receiving money from the military complex. And yet that is your smoking gun against Obama?  The administration is made up of Obama appointees not the people that are elected by the general public.  But I would guess EVERY member of congress is beholding to the military industrial complex.

There's obviously some daylight between the POTUS and the money trail, but in this case there's no denying that the administration's initiatives undoubtedly benefit from the dollars spent.

Then stop trying to act like there is! The fact you are trying to make Obama and his administration guilty of starting a war because you have said he is getting money off of it, or else why would he invade, makes you looks delusional or stupid, I can not decide which. But what I will go with, you have immersed yourself in so much far right propaganda, that you honestly believe hook line and sinker What ever lie they throw out. And your ability to justify such outright bull, tells me anything you post comes from an ax grinding place.

I am about as big a liberal as you can get, but I still did not hate Bush the first time he was elected and the minute he was elected the first time I hoped he would do well. When he stood on the pile of twin tower rubble I was proud of him for the comforting words he had. I wanted him to do well and now after all the info has came in, I do not think he was the mastermind behind the Iraq invasion. I think he was just stupid and manipulated. The real evil genius was Cheney.  But you on the other hand, seem delighted in accusing Obama of the most outrageously depraved motive. With NO evidence to back it up. You even post you don't have any connection.

How horrible that you are so caught up in the witch hunt the right has against Obama, that you have taken nothing and condemned OUR AMERICAN president. You and your lynch mob mentality party hacks would love nothing more than impeach this president. To hell with the fact, to the world, we look so dysfunctional that we appear to be weak. Everyday in the news I read that some strongly held republican state wants to succeed from the union. Really???? They want to succeed and I bet it is for the same made up bullshit you are posting here. This country has REAL problems and instead of voting 40 times to repeal Obamacare to the tune of 55 million, they need to work with this president and the dems to do some good.

I see you did not comment on the cost of trying to repeal what the American people voted in. Be damned that the majority of Americans support Obamacare. Even that disrespectful finger pointing Governor from Arizona now supports Obamacare. It's because she, like so many, see it as a good thing for the American people and healthcare hopefully will stop being just for the rich.  After I lost Chuck I had to get private insurance. It cost me around $650 each month. And it was the bare bones kind, that if I get in a car wreck or got cancer, it would allow me to keep my home. I believe Obamacare did not go far enough. I wanted the same govt ran insurance the republican control congress has.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 08 September 2013 at 7:13am

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 12  

Jodi Obama can't escape the fact that if he launches one missile on Syria he will have started a war.  I was watching Ed Schultz (The Ed Show) this week and agree with everything he's said on this war.  

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version