Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: X-Men Omnibus vol. 2 at Amazon! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2013 at 3:04am | IP Logged | 1  

"If the Roger Stern Spider-Man collection includes Hobgoblin Lives and Goblins at the Gate along with the rest of Stern's Spider-Man work, ALL MY PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED! (so to speak)"

There IS a TPB with both stories, you know.

It's very unlikely they will be at the Omnibus, since there is also a certain amount of other late-period Roger Stern Spider-Man stories - and they wouldn't all fit on a single books. Since it's also very unlikely they will be collected in a second Omnibus (unless Sterno does an EXTREMELY unlikely new Spider-run), I would suggest you to get that TPB.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2013 at 3:51am | IP Logged | 2  

I like the Omnibus line (I have Vol.2 of FF and Silver Surfer Vol.1) but the price and size is a bit of a problem. It's hard to read the things without a table.With something like the Claremont/Byrne X-Men run, I'd go for the Masterworks editions simple for more manageable size. I have all the issues thank to the Marvel DVD ROM's plus my old TPB of Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past.
Back to Top profile | search

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2013 at 4:25am | IP Logged | 3  

I have the DVD-ROMs too, but some stuff I just want to see oversized with quality paper and printing!

Marcus Hiltz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2013 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 4  

"If the Roger Stern Spider-Man collection includes Hobgoblin Lives and Goblins at the Gate along with the rest of Stern's Spider-Man work, ALL MY PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED! (so to speak)"

There IS a TPB with both stories, you know.

It's very unlikely they will be at the Omnibus, since there is also a certain amount of other late-period Roger Stern Spider-Man stories - and they wouldn't all fit on a single books. Since it's also very unlikely they will be collected in a second Omnibus (unless Sterno does an EXTREMELY unlikely new Spider-run), I would suggest you to get that TPB.

----------

I did know about that previous TPB.  I've been holding off on buying it even though I don't own any of the collected Stern Spider-Man stuff yet.  Wasn't sure what to buy because some of his work is collected in TPBs, some in the Roger Stern Visionaries, some in the Essentials.  I was hoping an Omnibus would solve all those problems!  The latter day Hobgoblin stories would be a nice bookend to this collection afterall!

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2013 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 5  

Well, the Omnibus will certainly include everything published on the short-lived Roger Stern Visionaires (only one volume was published...) and on the Essentials to date.

The thing is, Sterno wrote quite a lot of Spider-Man one-shots and fill-ins since his run ended. Why would they be kept out of that collection while his more "sustained" work on the two aforementioned stories wouldn't?

And all that alongside his regular run wouldn't fit even a 1200+ page omnibus...

Edited by Pedro Bouça on 22 August 2013 at 7:44am

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 August 2013 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 6  

"Fate of the Phoenix" was issue #137, and "Days of Future Past" was #141-142.

Matthew W: "I only realised this very recently and was staggered. And with the AF / Wendigo storyline coming in between this was a truly golden run."

+++++

It was stunning to read off the newsstand.  Each issue was the comic book I most looked forward to, and it delivered each time.

JB went to FANTASTIC FOUR right after, and it was same thing.  I thought each issue was better than most television shows, which was the highest praise my young mind could muster!

Marcus Hiltz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2013 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 7  

I suppose my dream Roger Stern Spider-Man Omnibus would have his run on PPSS (about 20 issues), PPSS #85, his run on AMAZING (about 30 issues), HOBGOBLIN LIVES, REVENGE OF THE GREEN GOBLIN, and GOBLINS AT THE GATE.

I wouldn't mind a Stern Avengers Omnibus either!  That run was 60+ issues including annuals so it may be a pipe dream...

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2013 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 8  

Marvel's going to town (finally) on Roger's stuff from the 1980's--trades and collections of ASM, Avengers, Doctor Strange. No reason to think his Avengers run won't get the Omnibus treatment at some point.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2013 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 9  

Italy arrived first with the second X-Men Omnibus: Panini Comics managed to produce one a couple of years ago. Marvel USA needed YEARS to do it! Whew!

Glad to see Uncle Rog's works on Spider-Man reprinted. Now, I don't like Omnibuses, they're heavy and unreadable. Besides, I have the single issues (both American and Italian edition), so I won't buy these reprints... but those who don't know this great material should surely give it a try!

Roger Stern's run on Amazing is my favorite after Lee/Ditko/Romita, and whenever he jumped aboard again he wrote solid, entertaining stories. When Mr. Stern writes Spider-Man, I feel at home.

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2013 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 10  

Also of interest: Iron Man Epic Collection: War Games

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

Cool! Armor Wars II is great stuff, and the following stories are also good.

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2013 at 3:21am | IP Logged | 12  

Great news! The previous TPBs only collected the two main storylines and quite a lot of JB's plot for the Dragon Seed saga was, well, seeded during Armor Wars II.

It'll be great to have everything under one cover! That will leave me with an extra Dragon Seed TPB, though (I missed the Armor War II book).

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version