Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: The Most Expensive American Comic Art Ever (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 1  

JB: "Mind you, Frank's pencils have always been very lean and "open". The first time I saw them, I assumed they were tight breakdowns, and managed to offend Frank by saying so!"

That cracked me up. I love hearing your stories of the 70s/80s Marvel bullpen. One of my favorite things about this forum other than the commissions. 

Back to Top profile | search

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 2  

I "learned" to like Klaus Janson's inking.
I LOVE his inking over JRjr pencils and I believe they are a great match but I think he overpowers most pencilers.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 3  

Found this side by side comparison of Miller's pencils with Janson's inks from an issue of DD. It does look like pretty complete pencils!  I guess I was mistaken.  I'm not sure if I thought I had read that somewhere or just reasoned it to myself as I do tend to think Janson dominates pencilers as others have stated.  I guess he and Frank just meshed well together!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 4  

Janson over JB on WOLVERINE worked great for this reader.
I knew it was two of my favorite creators mashed together, inevitably
making something altogether new....why I love the process!

Like when you drink Tequila alone, which is great, but, then, when you
meet a hot redhead with freckles, and you give HER some tequila.
Things get more interesting.
You'd be remorseful if you hadn't experienced it, even though you find
you can't deal with it for every issue of her life.

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think Miller's pencils got looser later on in his Daredevil run with
Janson. I guess I'm in the minority in that I much prefer Miller inking
himself.
I was also disappointed with Janson's inks over JB on the Wolverine
story. I was excited to see JB draw Wolverine again but it just felt off,
until that last issue.
I agree with Armindo, Janson's inks look great over JRJr pencils.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think Miller's pencils got looser later on in his Daredevil run with
Janson.
Yep.  So much so that starting with issue 185 Miller's credit was no longer penciller but rather Scripter / Storyteller and Janson's read penciller and inker.  I found these later issues contained occasional startlingly gorgeous panels and pages but in general they lacked the consistency (often anatomically) of the earlier run.  Janson is one of my favorite inkers but for my taste, he's at his best when given more detail to work from rather than less.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

I'm not surprised by these three being the "big money" covers, or that stuff like McFarlane's Spider-Man #1 isn't far behind.  A lot of the really great, iconic covers and splash pages prior to the early 1960s are just plain gone, and can't be sold.  Some of the really iconic covers that do exist are in the hands of private collectors who are wealthy enough that they aren't going to go on the auction block anytime soon.  

When a really iconic piece by a popular artist on his signature character makes its way into the marketplace, you sometimes end up with two or three wealthy collectors who really want to add that piece to his collection, then you get the fierce bidding that drives up the sale price.  If you're a huge Dark Knight fan--and a lot of people are, given the book's influence, popularity, and the fact that it's never been out of print since its initial publication--there are a handful of images from that series that immediately come to mind when you think of that book.

If I had more money than I knew what to do with, I could see myself bidding on those, or on the Amazing Spider-Man #328 cover.  McFarlane was one of my favorite artists in the late 1980s/early 1990s, I loved his Spider-Man, I loved his Hulk, I loved the Acts of Vengeance crossover, and I probably read that issue twenty times the year it came out. Buying that, or the covers to Amazing Spider-Man #300, 301, or 312...I'd do that in a second if I had an essentially bottomless bank account.  Just like I'd do for favorite covers by Frank Miller, JB, or dozens of other favorite artists.   

Mark Rand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2013 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

McFarlane's make-it-up-as-I-go approach to anatomy is seriously distracting, but I do love that shot of Spider-Man clobbering Hulk and it's impact on the surrounding cover elements.(Looks like Hulk's being punched in the gut to me) I distinctly remember the double-take I did when I first got a load of it at a convention many years ago. I'm not a big fan of Todd, but he was having a good day on this one for that stage of his career. 

Love Miller's DKR but have never really figured out what he was going for with that weird Batman crouching image.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2013 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 9  

Just re-read DKR and the introduction where Frank Miller sings the praises of Klaus Jansen on DD and said he was a vital part of DKR too. He still doesn't get enough praise though. 

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2013 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

The sale of those DK covers has allowed the interiors to go for high prices as well. I have a friend that paid less than $200 to get a couple of sequential pages and recently sold them for 50K. Jeez!

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2013 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

Something in Mr. Jansen's technique manages to still convey most all of the energy that the pencils convey.  Usually, when I see pencils next to inks, the inked version loses a lot of that energy.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version