Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: The Most Expensive American Comic Art Ever (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

As to the previous owner of Amazing Fantasy #15 interiors, one rumor I
heard was Marie Severin owned the artwork. And that person asked Steve
Ditko if he wanted the artwork back or if it was OK to give it to the Library of
Congress. I wasn't interested in the artwork.
You can setup a an appointment with the Library of Congress to view
Amazing Fantasy #15 interiors and other original art they have.Two years
ago when I was in DC I saw AF #15 along with 12 Hogarth Tarzan sundays. It
was a real treat.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2013 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 2  

Figures the most expensive cover sold features the Hulk getting dick
punched.

No wonder my "friends" laugh at me for reading comics.
and DKR #2 cover features Batman taking a BIG crap.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2013 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

A little surprised by these - nothing against the works themselves - I just figured it would be a Ditko "Spider-Man" cover or something similar. 
Back to Top profile | search

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

I just wonder why wilful ugliness became such a prominent feature of comics art.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2013 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

Alfred must be dead. No way would he let Batman go out with such a wrinkled uniform. 

Edited by Mike Norris on 03 August 2013 at 6:29pm

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 6  

My father taught me a valuable lesson in collectability and expecting a
specific return on one's hobby. As a kid in high school during the mid-
80s, I remember approaching him, holding out a prized comic and
boasting that the comic of note was worth $20. He didn't hesitate for a
second, when he responded, "only if you can find someone willing to
pay you that."

*Brian, just stumbled upon a really cool looking book featuring John
Buscema. As I flipped through it and made the choice to carry it to the
counter for purchase, I realized you had written it. Looks really
impressive and I am psyched to read it..... Despite being a few years
late to the party!*

Edited by Fred J Chamberlain on 03 August 2013 at 8:00pm

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2013 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 7  

A little surprised by these - nothing against the works themselves - I just figured it would be a Ditko "Spider-Man" cover or something similar.
----------

I think there probably has been bigger comic art purchases that went down out of the public eye. There are definitely finer pieces than the ones at the top of this thread on the ComicArtFans site. I just wonder if any pieces have broken the one million dollar mark.

Edited by Steve Gumm on 03 August 2013 at 9:19pm

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

I can't imagine buying any of those pieces.

And what's the personality gotta be like to shell out so much
on that McFarlane cover, for example?  Just some rich dude 
buying the first comic cover he ever loved, or perhaps someone 
counting on re-selling it?

While I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it, seeing those
works go for those sums gets the imagination a-tickin'!

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 3:09am | IP Logged | 9  

McFarlane is a guy who paid MILLIONS each for a couple of baseballs. Somewhere in the back of my brain, I'm thinking HE bought his own cover for that much just so he could claim to have drawn the "most valuable" Spider-Man cover ever sold, even if he obviously wouldn't take credit for owning it. 

Jim Lee has been at DC for years, and McFarlane has been slagging on Marvel for decades - but you see either one of them talking about their careers and among the first things they'll mention will be how much X-Men #1 and Spider-Man #1 sold. You know, as if sales = quality. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 10  

Thom: The middle one isn't bad, but the other two I wouldn't want even if they were free.

••

JB: Klaus just never seems to get enough credit, does he?

The middle one isn't bad, I agree, but I still can't believe that's one of the most expensive pages of original American comic book art. Although I guess it benefits from a few of things, Dark Knight Returns being considered a seminal bit of comics history at this point (I won't even discuss my own feelings about it as I don't want to rant this morning), it has Batman on it, and Klaus Janson inked it. Miller's stuff always looked best when inked by Klaus in my opinion. Although I enjoyed FM's stuff on Sin City well enough, Miller and Janson were a perfect pairing.

On the other hand, I was not a big fan of Janson's inks over JB's pencils during their run on Wolverine. It seemed to really bury the art, where as with Frank it seemed like a perfect fit. Personally my favorite inker for Byrne is Byrne, but I was a huge fan of George Perez inking Action Comics #600. And there are others I've enjoyed over the years, like, of course, Terry Austin and Keith Williams, both of whom seemed to be of the tracing variety of inkers who remained faithful to the pencils. 

The fact that this most expensive list doesn't have a Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko or a Joe Kubert piece on it goes to show that there's no accounting for taste or true comics history. Silly wealthy fanboys. 

I also agree with the Chief's assessment of early Image artists. With the exception of Jim Lee and Dale Keown it all seemed to be flash in the pan stuff with lots of meaningless lines and no basic fundamental drawing skills underneath. But the art, although amateurish though it was, was leaps and bounds over the horrid writing and crap knockoffs of established characters. That said, Image seems to have turned things around quite a bit and are putting out some of the best written and drawn creator-owned books on the market these days. With guys like Michael Lark and Sean Phillips doing the art. You know, artists who can actually tell a story, with a grasp on anatomy, composition, and some actual drawing skills.

That said, they still put out their fair share of what I consider crap too like Savage Dragon and Spawn.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 04 August 2013 at 6:55am

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 11  

On the other hand, I was not a big fan of Janson's inks over JB's pencils during their run on Wolverine

I think Janson works best when the penciller is giving him very loose "breakdowns" (or whatever) to work over.  That's what Miller was giving him on their famous DD collaboration.  There's probably more Janson in that DD art than there is Miller.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 12  

On the other hand, I was not a big fan of Janson's inks over JB's pencils during their run on Wolverine

I think Janson works best when the penciller is giving him very loose "breakdowns" (or whatever) to work over. That's what Miller was giving him on their famous DD collaboration. There's probably more Janson in that DD art than there is Miller.

••

I think you have that flipped, Joe. I was giving Klaus very loose breakdowns on WOLVERINE. To the best of my knowledge, Frank was doing full pencils on DAREDEVIL.

Mind you, Frank's pencils have always been very lean and "open". The first time I saw them, I assumed they were tight breakdowns, and managed to offend Frank by saying so!

Klaus is a very strong inker, tho, and, especially in those days of yore, his style tended to come very much to the forefront. This can be seen in the AVENGERS of mine he inker, which were full pencils. By the time we got to WOLVERINE, tho, we'd both gone in different directions artistically, and it could be argued that the match was not entirely successful. I have wondered what it might have looked like with full pencils for Klaus to work on. (And, of course, when I was called upon to ink the final issue of that run I tried to match what Klaus had done, so any future collection would be as seamless as possible.)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version