Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Has Marvel Ruined The Hulk As A Character? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 1  

Say what you will about Peter David's Hulk run (I'm a fan of it up till Gary Frank leaves) it was a logical progression from where he started to where he ended up with the merged Hulk. None of this can be said for anything that followed. I liked Planet Hulk, but exactly what the relationship the Hulk and Banner had, including the Hulk's then current persona, was never explained. In retrospect, the merged Hulk was kind of a dead end, but it was fun at the time. 
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 2  

One of the first comics I ever purchased was Incredible Hulk 269. A guy who turns into a strong monster beating up a space creature? Sold!

The simplicity of the concept was part of the charm. Too many Hulks running around removes the uniqueness of the original character, just as too many Kryptonians did for Superman.

The character isn't ruined, however; a new team can go back-to-basics (if they believe today's low-attention-span, hyper-violent, jaded audience can accept that) and ignore all of the crap that's built up over the years.

That's one of the wonderful aspects of the medium.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jesse Perkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 3  

My first issue of Hulk (and one of my first ever comics) was #150, when he mistakenly thinks Polaris is Jarella and fights Havok. I still think this is the perfect story type for The Hulk: running from the military, trying to be left alone or with someone he loves, finds himself in a confrontation. Despite a possible misrepresentation of Havok's powers (at least as I understood them), I loved this comic.

He really should be the star of a Marvel Team Up book, where he can play off a new guest star each issue. I think that's where he works best.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

Jesse, that was one my first Hulk stories too.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 5  

Say what you will about Peter David's Hulk run (I'm a fan of it up till Gary Frank leaves) it was a logical progression from where he started to where he ended up with the merged Hulk. None of this can be said for anything that followed. I liked Planet Hulk, but exactly what the relationship the Hulk and Banner had, including the Hulk's then current persona, was never explained. In retrospect, the merged Hulk was kind of a dead end, but it was fun at the time.

=====================================================

I'll give Peter David this as well --- he did not pull out the whole "everything you know is wrong card" in his run. He may have bended and shaped the Hulk to his story whims, but he never invalidated previous creators work.

Bruce Jones was the one that really ruined the Hulk for me.

Andy Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 6  

How many of us when angered turn into another being of sorts, a monster! Then we later regret the damage we've caused. This is the aspect of the Hulk that is essential to his character. There's that inner struggle. Is the struggle still there in the current Hulk(s)? 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2013 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

Ruined?  No. The character is not ruined.  Certainly we can all think if a creator(s) that could put him on the right track. That said, I have zero interest in the Hulk currently.  Once upon a time he was my favorite Marvel character by far.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2013 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 8  

How many of us when angered turn into another being of
sorts, a monster! Then we later regret the damage we've
caused. This is the aspect of the Hulk that is essential
to his character. There's that inner struggle. Is the
struggle still there in the current Hulk(s)?

---------------

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Sort of. Banner is trying to reclaim his
life/name. Being the Hulk has destroyed his life and
name. He has also come to the conclusion that he can't
cure the Hulk so to reclaim his life and name he is
focusing on inventing things to help society, and make up
for the Hulk. But there is a little rivalry with Stark
going on

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2013 at 12:36am | IP Logged | 9  

The problem with "fixing" any one shared universe character that has gone off the rails is the larger macrocosmic problem of the Marvel Universe being off the rails. If the character existed in a vacuum, it would be a different story. No matter how well the creators do their jobs, the rot will creep in eventually...

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2013 at 4:26am | IP Logged | 10  

I don't think anything about the Hulk has been ruined, and I've been collecting the title ever since I was 4. 

Greg Pak's recent run was as good as any that has ever been done on the title, and although I find Mark Waid's run, his style of writing in particular, to be incredibly boring, he managed to come up with a good bit about why the Hulk's intelligence or lack thereof, can fluctuate so much. (an in-story bit that explains why every different writer to take on the series has been doing a drastically different Hulk  and totally ignoring the preceding story before they took over)

Edited by Marc M. Woolman on 22 July 2013 at 4:27am

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2013 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'll give Peter David this as well --- he did not pull out the whole "everything you know is wrong card" in his run. He may have bended and shaped the Hulk to his story whims, but he never invalidated previous creators work.

Bruce Jones was the one that really ruined the Hulk for me.

Though, David's "Tempest Fugit" played exactly that card, predominantly against the Jones run.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 22 July 2013 at 2:25pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 12  

I really liked Pak's Planet Hulk, but he was forced to turn it all into an "event" with World War Hulk, etc, and of course he had to used that awful Red Hulk and Red She-Hulk (I can barely say their names). Unfortunately, this is what I was talking about with the "taint" comment.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version