Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Has Marvel Ruined The Hulk As A Character? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

Armor on the Hulk is the dumbest idea since the Hulk using guns,
Back to Top profile | search

David Teller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

The moment must be coming pretty soon that Disney delete all this cruft and drop the characters in amber. Ala Mickey Mouse.

It will be sad to see the end of comics, but it may be the way to genuinely preserve the characters.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks for the answers, John and Kip!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

Not trying to justify bad, irresponsible writing and editing on Marvel's part here. But perhaps a consequence of the comic book industry "not taking care of it's own" is the writers not taking care of the characters. For example, Mark Millar mischaracterized Captain America as a chauvanist and the Hulk as a cannibal in the Ultimates. The success of the Ultimates put him on the path to being a successful Holywood producer. Had he not done so, he probably wouldn't be doing much of anything these days. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 5  

Millar's take on Cap pretty much soured me on him and the Ulitimates. I'm sure he thought it was "more realistic", but to me Cap being ahead of the curve is part of who Captain America is. 

I don't read the current Hulk title(s?), but I do read some Avengers books. In those Bruce Banner is working as some sort of science adviser to the team ( as well as being the Hulk). That just seems off to me, That's not the Banner or Hulk I know. 

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 12:02am | IP Logged | 6  

Michael Roberts wrote:
Hulk
Red Hulk (Thunderbolt Ross)
Skaar (Hulk's half alien son)
She-Hulk
Red She-Hulk (Betty Ross)
Lyra (another She-Hulk who is the time-traveling daughter of Thundra, engineered using DNA from the Hulk)
A-Bomb (Rick Jones given the Abomination's powers)

So, every single character that originally appeared in Hulk #1 is now a Hulk too?  Seriously?  Could today's Marvels be any more fan fictiony?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 7  

So, every single character that originally appeared in Hulk #1 is now a Hulk too?  Seriously?  Could today's Marvels be any more fan fictiony?

------

No, the Gargoyle and Igor have not shown up as Hulks. (You owe me money if you use this Marvel!)

Edited by Michael Roberts on 18 July 2013 at 1:03am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 2:30am | IP Logged | 8  

Wouldn't be surprised if Mark Waid comes up with a "Hulk Force" to explain why Rick and the Rosses are Hulks as well. 

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 9  

The Hulk is one of the more glaring victims of Marvel's nebulous internal consistency (forget continuity) at least since the Quesada era. After the merged Hulk era ended, nothing has been consistent. If memory serves (I've blocked out most of 1993-1997 at this point) the Onslaught crap sort of just ended Peter David's "merged Hulk era" and the Hulk hasn't been stable since. 

The Hulk in the new Avengers comics literally became dumb and angry without any explanation whatsoever after being intelligent and grumpy over the last few preceding years. 

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 10  

Seems like everyone who takes over the Hulk does a grand experiment with the character but he always seems to revert back to Banner on the run at some point.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 18 July 2013 at 6:41am

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 11  

Marvel has totally ruined the Hulk... or at least made him irrelevant. With the "kewl" red Hulks acting all Lobo and sneering in the face of the original Hulk, why would anyone read a book about the original.

I had a mentor who I think had an appropriate analogy; "If one clown is funny, a hundred clowns must be freaking hilarious." More is not always better, and sometimes it's downright pointless.

Edited by Monte Gruhlke on 18 July 2013 at 7:03am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
The Hulk is one of the more glaring victims of Marvel's nebulous internal consistency (forget continuity) at least since the Quesada era.

Whatever happened to Hulk happened long before Quesada started running things.

QUOTE:
After the merged Hulk era ended, nothing has been consistent.

After?  Things weren't consistent leading up to and during the merged Hulk era.

QUOTE:
If memory serves (I've blocked out most of 1993-1997 at this point) the Onslaught crap sort of just ended Peter David's "merged Hulk era" and the Hulk hasn't been stable since.

I'd consider Greg Pak's run pretty stable (and superior to Peter David's run). It does get polluted with the multi-Hulks toward the end, but I blame most of that on cross-pollination with Jeph Loeb's Hulk title. (Skaar is on Pak though.)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version