Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Question about Dr Strange and his power-providers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2013 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 1  

Prior to reading this thread, I'd never thought of Dr. Strange as receiving his powers from the demonic entities whose names he invokes in spells.  It doesn't make sense to me.  Why would demonic beings, many of whom are malevolent, allow their powers to be used by earthbound sorcerors?
Back to Top profile | search

James Gouldsmith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2013 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 2  

Monte said:
But why argue? Why not just read and enjoy.

Why is it that simply asking a question is always seen as arguing?  I enjoy thinking about the stuff I love, I enjoy hypothesizing about the stuff I love, I enjoy shooting the shit about the stuff I love.  How is that in any way argumentative?

I also really dislike the 'just read and enjoy' admonishment.  If that's what everyone did, there'd never be any NEW stories being written.  If JB himself had just read and enjoyed, and never had an inkling of 'What if...', he never would have gotten into comics at all and none of us would've enjoyed the work he's done.
Back to Top profile | search

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2013 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

The "argument" portion of my post was a play on the multiple times I used the word in my previous paragraph. Not intending to single out anyone or any thing.

If I seemed dismissive, then I erred. I think it is vitally important James, that you can relax, read (and re-read) and even lose yourself in the comic books you like. 

Strange draws from supernatural, demonic sources and always has. Maybe Strange has never used power granted by Odin or Thor because he cannot, or no writer has ever thought of it. 

Why ask? You should always ask. You should always think 'what-if'. You should always dream. And I hope you always wonder. The only stupid question is one not asked. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version