Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Warlock-New Mutants (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2013 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

Thanks for sharing that, frank. I've thought all this time that he was just extraordinary at his usage of white-out. That's way cool.
Back to Top profile | search

James Gouldsmith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2013 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 2  

The thing I don't dig about Sienk's depiction of him is that Warlock looks scary, and I'm not sure that's the right way to go with him.

/lol at Kitty looking right up the photographer's taint.

John Z Cannan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2013 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 3  

I was a big fan of Sienk's warped way of making Warlock.  But that character nearly killed New Mutants for me.  He would have worked better as a regular guest rather than a regular character.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2013 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 4  

I must be one of the few people here who liked what Sienkewicz did with Warlock's design. Yet each artist who tackled him had a different way of doing it. Warlock looked properly alien under Sienkewicz's pen; later artists couldn't match the "sketchiness" of his appearance, and so smoothed out his features.

As for his inclusion with the New Mutants, I didn't feel like it went too far out of bounds until Chris Claremont started going off the rails with the team ending up in space, fighting Asgardian gods, and being killed and resurrected by the Beyonder. He never did too much of his cosmic stuff as long as the team remained on Earth.

As a side note, I'm one of those who felt that Doug Ramsey did well as a character who worked with Warlock in his own way, and felt saddened by his being killed off. By then, we had the annual crossover madness taking hold, and it wasn't too long before Warlock followed. Ultimately, though, both were resurrected, and the whole "dead stays dead" thing became a moot point.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2013 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

Sienkiewicz's Warlock has an authenticity and dramatic impact to it that all other, more cartoony representations fail to grasp. Those shrieking expressions and jagged angles conveyed a more genuine version of the pain and anxiety the frightened character was supposed to be experiencing. I'm with John Z. Cannan on this one. Warlock should have been a short-term character rather than an ongoing opportunity for Claremont-Self to indulge/amuse/self-gratify Bright-spark imaginate BigWord alienspeak -Sqwarkk!- Congratulate-Self, congratulate-self, congratulate-self!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2013 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 6  

I really liked Warlock. I liked Doug ok until he became partnered up with Warlock.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

I agree with every point you made, Carmen. I loved the New Mutants and that's where I felt the title started to go off the rails as well. I'd even make the argument that the fun started to go away when Dani became a Valkyrie.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 08 July 2013 at 7:29pm

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2013 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

X-men sort of went of the rails in a similar fashion. Traditionally the books had been about fighting evil mutants and anti-mutant hysteria. The space faring elements like the Shiar and the Brood are bit off model. Then there's all the bloody time travel!!!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version