Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: What is keeping kids out of comics? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 1  

Availability....when i was a kid I hounded my folks for comics whenever we went shopping...they were everywhwre....at the supermarket...at the 7/11...at the bookstore...everywhere. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 2  

Availablity is huge, but if the product is not engaging then it doesn't matter if they are everywhere.

I was taking my kid weekly to my local shop and was buying age appropriate books for her . She loves the superhero characters (she knows way more about them than she should), watches the cartoons and is interested in seeing the movies, but the books were not entertaining enough to her for me to keep plunking down the bucks for them.

The stories didn't have enough going on (the 5 minute read) or they were too continuity heavy without having good in issue explanations as to what was going on. A kid shouldn't have to go back to three months worth of previous issues to get what is going on the current issue.

Also, a lot of the material supposedly written for a younger audience, is really dumbed down. Kids know when they are being written down to. They want the real character. When I was growing up, I would never read the Spider-Man (Spidey) stories that were written for kids. My kid is the same way. I bought the main-line stories, but finding books that were appropriate was difficult.

To echo Matt, the kids haven't really changed, but the product is not made to suit them.

Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 3  

Kids haven't changed so much, but the culture around kids sure has.

There's so much FEAR about letting kids out of our sight nowadays. I insist on having my kids walk to school and the store. Almost none of the other parents I know will let their kids do that. How would those kids buy comics at 7-11 even if the comics were there to buy? I rarely see kids in those stores anymore-- young kids out on their own are an oddity today.

The world I grew up in had most of the things Matt talks about-- but the missing thing is that from the age of 8 I was allowed to ride my bike over a mile away to school and back, stopping at any stores along the way to look at the comics and candy. Being able to do that from 8-13 was a major part of being able to get my comics.

Getting kids excited about comics is easy-- I see it all the time. But the traditional activities that make it possible for kids to buy their own comics have eroded.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

Added to the availability factor is that kids today are being raised by a generation that also had limited availability issues due to the direct market. How can a parent effectively pass down or encourage a hobby or passtime they themselves may have had no history, as well as have it compete with other interactive interests like sports, games, etc.? Unless that parent is predisposed to encouraging the sequential reading aspect of comics, or appreciating the art that goes into them, comics have an uphill climb against those other interests.

When the parents are as unfamiliar of the product as the kids are, it escalates the problem of reintroducing a generation of children to a product that hasn't been readily available for as much as 3 decades.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

Bryan Eacret, I agree with you about books that only take five minutes to read, but multi-issue stories have been around for a while.  But what it was is that they ahd the main story and so many subplots that they could be read separately.  (Think of JB's Negative Zone story...)

When I was reading, there was the X-Men story about the Brood, Dark Phoenix, The New Teen Titans Blackfire Saga, the Terra story, the Raven story... but they were so well-written and engaging and most importantly, weren't being written for the trades.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

Some comic shop shelf distribution can leave a lot to be desired.  Next to the Marvel books are books with scantily clad women (far too often, some fetishization of Wonderland), boobs, maybe a Garth Ennis book like The Boys "Herogasm" that pretty much shows a guy getting a bj or even worse, Ennis' "Crossed" that is basically carnage and bloodshed on every cover.  Censor them?  No, but man, if I were a parent and brought my kid to a comics shop, I'd be a little wary.  Would a kid feel much of a connection to this stuff?

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

Paul I have a son and daughter.  The daughter liked Barbie comics.  The son was not interested in comics in the least.  He liked video games (and not ones with super-heroes).  His friends were much the same.  In fact, I can't remember one of his friends being into comics.  Maybe they were not around the homes of the other boys but they were around in my house.  

That is what I meant by people have changed.  The world has changed and maybe I should have added that the culture has changed.  The comics I grew up on don't appeal to the majority of the younger fans at the local comic shop I go to. 

I also wonder if people read, in general, as much as when I was younger.   I don't believe they do.  

Sorry if I wasn't most clear on it.

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

No one read comic books in my family but I was still able to find and
purchase them when I did discover them. Pretty simple concept really
that's been missing for a while.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

What is keeping kids out of comics?

Multimedia, videogames, dvd movies, Netflix etc.  There are more alternatives of entertainment for kids today. 

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'm just going to add "ditto" to what Matt & Jason posted.

(Just switch "nieces" with daughters)

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 11  

Most of the questions have been answered by Jason and elaborated upon.  I personally recall a day when I could get by on my first day jobs out of high school (roughly a click above minimum wage in the late 1980s) while collecting at least a half-dozen comics per month.  At the time, they were pushing $1.00 and didn't start to go beyond that until after the big speculator crash in 1993.

By then, the damage was done.  Newsstands rarely carried the books.  The stories had started becoming unreadable because the pacing kept getting thrown off by crossovers and the departure of creative and editorial teams which seemed to know what they were doing.  And finally, my tastes in storytelling and entertainment just switched away from monthly comicbook titles from the Big Two and whatever indie publisher wasn't handling Japanese comics (I was never into the "bad grrls", vampires and zombies).

Today, I can't think of anything that I'd want to give my nephew and nieces off the shelves.  Their sources of entertainment and leisure time are completely unrelated to mine.

Mikael Bergkvist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 12  

People being ripped apart and raped?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version