Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Classic Marvel & "Disabled" Heroes. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2013 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

Its not a big stretch to see a spider's web spinners as being analogous to sweat glands, imho.  But, then you'd have to explain why Pete's webbing wouldn't exude from all over his body.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2013 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

Its not a big stretch to see a spider's web spinners as being analogous to sweat glands, imho. But, then you'd have to explain why Pete's webbing wouldn't exude from all over his body.

••

Again, it brings us back to "smart venom". Or Spider Totems. Or things equally stupid.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2013 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

I like mechanical web-shooters because they're COOL. Spidey without gadgets is like Batman without detective skills. You can have a neat character and cool stories without them, but it's not really Spider-Man.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2013 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 4  

I remind the board that (once again) in the case of DC Marv Wolfman dealt with the handicap issue in his New Teen Titans with Cyborg, a young man that falls victim to something that destroys part of his body and had to use artificial limbs. Marv Wolfman wrote a New Teen Titans story where he approached the handicap issue when Victor Stone meets a group of handicap children in the park with whom Victor interact.

Another case is when Aquaman lost his hand replaced by a... hook!

Yet another case happens when Arsenal lost his arm.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2013 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 5  

If we are looking at DC don't forget Doctor Midnight and
Ferro Lad. The first blind and the later was horribly
disfigured.

Rob Van Gessel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2013 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

The Organic Webshooters:

In 'Movie-ese' it sounded good to me when I first heard the idea for the Tobey Maguire outing. But I thought, too, how pointless it seemed to trash the webshooters. Why not, I asked, meld the 2? He simply utilized the shooters to adjust consistency and accuracy. I mean who'd be that good at masturbating from the wrists anyway?

BTW, since "disabilities" is the main thread here, Tobey Maguire never filled the bill for me as Parker. That constant blank look in his eyes in itself was a disability, only it was HIS! Parker, as we all remember, had very visible emotional reactions in the books to people abusing him or alienating him. He did not passively accept it as Maguire seemed to when being tripped or made fun of by peers. It was very bad casting and poor judgement on Raimi's part. Andrew Garfield is a better actor and brings more of Parker's tension to the movie, but, still, they leave out the other thing: Parker's attitude just after he gained powers - total self-promotion, and "screw the world" (beyond his Aunt and Uncle).

Parker's manic highs and lows were a major part of the "superhero's disabilities" fashioned by Stan Lee, Steve Dikto, and others of the seminal Marvel Bullpen.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version