Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: The Thing about Dr. Doom (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2013 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 1  

There was an issue of the Wally West FLASH in which he dodged a bullet at the moment it made contact with his skin. When you're THAT fast, a roadside bomb just wouldn't cut the mustard.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 June 2013 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 2  

I've read some postings and Jenkins made a comparison between what he has said he would like to write as opposed to the character duking it out with a giant killer robot that's attacking the earth. He added "as cool as that would look" that's not what he would like to write. Does he realize that comics are a visual medium and that people would rather see something cool than read about the Flash's issues as an amputee?

••

Here's a problem with too many current writers, especially those who insist on working full script: they forget that the most important part of what they are writing is the PICTURES, not the WORDS.

Comics are traditionally described as a VISUAL MEDIUM. The words should be there only to cover those elements which absolutely cannot be covered in the art. Like I've said before, if it is a vital element of the scene that it takes place at 4:30 in the afternoon, that's something the writer is most likely going to have to TELL us. It's pretty much impossible to DRAW 4:30 in the afternoon. (And, no, slipping a clock into the background is NOT the way to do it.)

Equally, there are some degrees of emotion that cannot be expressed fully in the pictures -- especially if, for example, the character is experiencing emotions s/he does not want to show.

Keeping in mind that comics ARE a visual medium, the writer would be best advised to AVOID scenes/emotions/elements that cannot be handled primarily in the art. And the writer should also keep in mind that comics are flat, still pictures, and the art better be EXCITING in some way, to keep the readers interest up. Stan Lee understood this, when he used action scenes for exposition and reflection by the characters, and didn't ask his artists to provide "pauses" where such could take place.

(Famously, working from a plot, not a full script, Gene Colan once drew three pages of Captain America WALKING DOWN THE STREET. I suspect the pages were turned in on a tight deadline, as Stan didn't send them back to be redrawn, but used them for what became a classic moment of introspection for Cap. Unfortunately, it also created a moment later writers and artists wanted to COPY, and the circumstances under which the original scene was done were forgotten. This is one reason the first issue of CAPTAIN AMERICA Roger Stern and I did opens with Cap pondering while he runs, jumps and swings thru the city.)

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2013 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 3  

In film there is a saying, "Show, don't tell". If a character is say, telling another character about his exciting trip skydiving, you cut away and show that trip, not the character sitting at a table telling us about it. 

So, to be metaphorical about it, I don't see a lot of skydiving in comics, just a lot of people talking about it. People talking for 22 pages is boring, regardless how of well written it may be. 

Comics need a saying like "show, don't tell". How about, "Take out the word balloons and show me what you got."

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2013 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 4  

I've read some stuff by Jenkins that I've enjoyed, but the interview
referenced above makes me glad that he's nowhere near Flash or
Superman (in said interview, he says he'd begin a Superman story with
Luthor holding a gun to the Kents' heads. "Let's see if you're REALLY
'faster than a speeding bullet.' Then he'd blow their heads off. Wrong,
on so many levels.). His DEATHMATCH series seems to be his idea of
what something like SECRET WARS "should" be.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 08 June 2013 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

RE: Killing off the Kent's.  Sounds like so much fan fic...which is what a lot of stories from the Big 2 feel like to me these days.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think the Jenkins interview is being misinterpreted. He didn't offer the Superman and Flash stories as examples of how DC wouldn't let him do what he wanted. He says in the interview that back in the 'good old days', which for him was working on Marvel Knights, you could pitch a crazy idea like those Flash and Superman ideas and editorial would let you run with it.

He was contrasting that with DC now, where he was told by an editor that he didn't 'get' the character of Batman because he wrote a scene in which Batman was sitting down to talk to a severely wounded person, and the editor said, 'Its common knowledge that Batman never sits down.' Which is, of course, stupidity. And he was told that after he had already re-written a pre-approved script several times.

So, he was comparing an atmosphere of nearly total creative freedom to one of completely unprofessional, out-of-control editorial oversight. Not whining that he didn't get to mangle characters.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2013 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

"Batman NEVER sits down" is, indeed, stupid. However, Jenkins cited
those Superman and Flash ideas as examples of stories he'd be
interested in writing. While making a valid point about editorial
interference and incompetence, he also - unintentionally, perhaps -
reveals himself as someone who shouldn't write superheroes. Not the
mainstream ones, anyway.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think his criticisms of DC are valid but once again, if your best Superman story is killing his parents or his wife so that you can really give him a challenge, I'm glad that he doesn't want to work for DC. At the same time, if he's hired by DC to write Batman and an editor is standing over him making him re-write everything then the editor is essentially trying to write the book with his name. We all know that something stinks at DC. I also took the article as a slam on Bob Harras quite honestly.

He's not a bad guy for calling out DC, I'm not even calling him a bad guy for wanting to write the stories he's suggested but he's better off doing things like Death Match than working with the characters owned by the Big Two. If you can't play nice with someone else's toys then you need to go get your own.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm inclined to think that Jenkins and others like him should just stick to their Hollywood scriptwriting ambitions and leave the dark and gritty stuff out of the Big Two superhero comics, but they aren't the only bad guys in this whole mess.  The editors and marketing staff have their own "big ideas" about how to make characters like Spider-Man and the Flash more hip and "with it" in today's media environment, and much of what we're being turned off about gets past their desks.  I don't think there's an innocent bystander in the current situation.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 10  

In thinking about this "reveal" about Grimm and Doom, I was reminded that many of the brilliant, exciting concepts modern writers bestow upon us out of the kindness of their hearts and inability to restrain their own genius are essentially jokes about the characters and the stories we fans all know, but told straight-faced. Preferably with violence thrown in so everybody knows This Is Serious.

The gag of Grimm as a hijinx-loving college prankster putting one over on the rich, snotty European kid would rate a one, maybe two, page gag in a Marvel humor 'zine like "What Th'?" or its later incarnation, "Wha-Huh?" It's not quite up to "Not Brand Ecch" standards, but who knows? With Marie Severin tweaking the joke, it might have flown there.

Today, though, what would once have been correctly recognized as a goofy, out-of-character punchline becomes established lore and a reason for self-congratulations as the staff celebrates coming up with an FF story that has not been done before...

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2013 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 11  

Depressing on so many levels.

For me the rot did indeed start to reach boiling point with Grant Morrisons X-Men. Then Ed Bruebaker's X-Men (because neither are the X-Men, they are their interpretations of characters that share the same name) sealed the deal - Cyclops and Xavier are not the characters that appeared in those comics. Since then, those characters just moved further and further from who they were.

Marvel NOW provided the perfect point to, just stop. And I did. I just stopped. And I just read old stories about the characters I knew. Characters that my son will know through the back issues, not the crazies, the terrorists, the flawed, the liers, the cheaters, the abusers, the abused, the killers, the molesters, the murderers, the torturers, the foul mouthers, the maimers.

But the noble, the heroic, the savers, the trustworthy, the HEROs

That's who he will read about. 

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2013 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 12  

Do keep in mind, the story hasn't been written. Ben just
fears that happen and in the story Ben's having brain
problems. It may not be true. Don't condemn it until it
happens.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>