Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: The Thing about Dr. Doom (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 1  

Perhaps because I have such a boring surname that I've pretty much said that I'd prefer anyone I'd marry to keep her surname and because I see a woman taking a married name as an antiquated tradition harking back to when women were the property of their husbands, but I don't see the big deal with Sue going by Susan Storm. Alliterative names are cooler.

Especially if her degree is in science, I can see her going by Dr. Susan Storm professionally, while still being Mrs. Susan Richards, to reduce the link to Reed. It's probably futile, since most people would know who she is, but I'd understand wanting to remove that tiny subconscious association for published work.
Back to Top profile | search

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 2  

I don't like it cause it's just window-dressing for the PC police without it having any real meaning..That's just the way most (not all) fans like their fiction now. In film and TV, as well as comics, creators pander to fans' political beliefs in the most superficial way possible, while shoehorning in fan service elements from older, more successful eras. Without understanding what made those elements special. Like Spock yelling.."KHHHAANNN!" Oh well, to each his own, I guess, it's just not for me.

Edited by James Howell on 14 June 2013 at 9:06am

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 3  

I think it's (Dr Susan STORM) done more to give a modern feel to the characters than for PC reasons.
A simple update to follow a trend of todqy's society and not something like the fading of Ben, Nick and Logan's cigars. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

I don't like it cause it's just window-dressing for the PC police without it having any real meaning.

------

What PC police? There's no clamor for women to keep their maiden names. Keeping your maiden name was maybe a feminist trend 20-30 years ago, but nowadays, it's just a preference, and women still overwhelmingly choose to take their husband's names.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 5  

There is nothing trendy about a woman keeping her maiden name. My wife has kept hers and to this day people think we are odd. It is also a bitch when it comes to insurance.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think it's (Dr Susan STORM) done more to give a modern feel to the characters than for PC reasons. A simple update to follow a trend of todqy's society and not something like the fading of Ben, Nick and Logan's cigars.

••

This is the kind of thinking that turned Emma Peel into "Dr. Peel" in that wretched AVENGERS movie! Being able to outthink you AND kick your ass was apparently not enough for those filmmakers.

Sue's story was that of an "ordinary" woman suddenly thrust into extraordinary circumstances. That's a big part of what makes her interesting. She represents those of us who are NOT exceptional, yet can still rise to the occasion when called upon to do so. Her "career arc" is not scientist to superhero, it's "ordinary Jill" to superhero.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

There is nothing trendy about a woman keeping her maiden name. My wife has kept hers and to this day people think we are odd. It is also a bitch when it comes to insurance.

••

The idea of a woman keeping her own name when marrying is something that snuck its way into my brain so subtly that it was fully moved in with the boxes unpacked and the pictures hung before I even realized it had happened.

I do still find myself remembering a line from SOMEWHERE, tho. The woman asks the man if he'd mind if she kept her own name when they marry, and he responds "No, that's okay. We'll just be one of those couples who don't really love each other."

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

"No, that's okay. We'll just be one of those couples who don't really love each other."

Ha! Brilliant. I need to use that on my wife.

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

Why make the effort to give Susan an career identity of her own, then make that identity a colleague of Reed? Why not make it into something totally foreign to her experiences at this point? A vocation she might've always wanted to do prior to meeting Reed? As for the whole maiden name thing, if my wife after many years decided to start using her maiden name, I would at least be a little curious as to why. If you want to make Sue a little more independent, I think the better way to go, is to show her doing it, rather that just symbolically changing her name. BTW I don't care if women keep using their own names when they marry.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 10  

It is possible that they play it like Sue Storm is her
professional name, but Sue Richards is her real name.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 11  

I do still find myself remembering a line from SOMEWHERE, tho. The woman asks the man if he'd mind if she kept her own name when they marry, and he responds "No, that's okay. We'll just be one of those couples who don't really love each other."

-------

Turk to Carla, JB.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 12  

Dr. Susan Storm reminds me of the hippie Ben and May Parker in
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN. Creators assume characters require
updating that isn't necessary.

Yes, Ben and May would have been born in the late 40s at the earliest
but it doesn't mean they would have been counterculture growing up.
Not everyone was and even those who were aren't recognizably so
now.

Women keeping their father's name* when they marry is rarer than
some people think. Just anectodally, every female friend I know who
has married (save one) took her husband's name. My friends are from
New York and Seattle (where I currently live). It's hardly the Bible Belt.

It's just not in character for Susan Richards, either.

*I never saw the feminist statement in keeping the name that most
likely came from your father. At least with your spouse, it's a name and
union you chose.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version