Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Whats wrong with Moon Knight? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

Here's an essay on Volume 1

Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

I love the Sienkiewicz/Moench run, and I like it even better in the B&W ESSENTIAL editions.  The tone of the stories is perfect in B&W.

I think Moon Knight is hard to connect with because he has so many personalities.  He's inherently difficult to identify with because he is struggling with his identity!

William T. Byrd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

The moon knight stories from the magazines were reprinted in color in the Countdown to Dark trade.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2013 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 4  

Love Moon Knight's look.  Prefer that it's colored silver as well.  It seems that every few years he ends up with a new series and direction.  Starts off hot and quickly fades when the initial launching team moves on to other projects.  Myself, I like him as a normally solo act.  Not as  team player.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2013 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 5  

They're available in Essential Moon Knight Vol. 1

---

I own that volume, but don't think I've read any of it yet. I just assumed the
magazine stories were NOT a part of that collection.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2013 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 6  

Yes Wallace,the magazine stories are in vol 1,those and other early appearances,only the first 10 issues of the Moench/Sienkiewicz run are in vol 1.It`s well worth a read,as is vol 2.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2013 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 7  

The biggest strike against Moon Knight as I see it is his derivative nature. The multiple failed attempts to fix him and turn him into something unique have only resulted in confusion and an overabundance of barnacles.

When first conceived, he was a werewolf hunter and a potential ongoing opponent of Jack Russell, the Werewolf By Night. Unfortunately, most of Marvel's werewolf characters (all two of them) are sympathetic, making werewolf hunter a job for a "bad guy."

While some effort could have been put forth into making lycanthropy a rampant menace in the Marvel Universe that this one guy is out there fighting alone (see also Rom: Spaceknight) Marvel decided to go in a different direction, making Moon Knight more of a conventional crime-fighter with distinctly pulpish overtones.

While he resembles Batman to a very great extent, he in many respects more closely mirrors the Shadow in his use multiple identities all arising from a world-traveling, mercenary original, his use of aircraft, great resources of wealth, and a reliable supporting cast of civilian-types who go into battle alongside him.

Certainly Siekiewicz's capable and beautifully done aping of Neal Adams' style helped cement MK's reputation as a second-rate Batman imitator. I vaguely recall the writer at one point feeling that his editor had tricked him by suggesting the Jester as a villian in an upcoming storyline, thereby creating a "Joker" type scenario for MK. Even for the people creating the book, the resemblance was too powerful to fully escape.

Mental instability (another trope often associated with the Batman, at least in interviews and behind the scenes) became more prevalent as a theme and MK began to confuse his multiple identites, something that was not much of a problem for his predecessors, making him look like a bit of a weak sister, as is often the case with Marvel characters who allow themselves to become besieged and tormented by their own self-created problems and neuroses.

He was then reinterpreted as a mystical crimefighter, operating as the avatar of an ancient Egyptian spirit, turning him, somewhat ironically, into a second-generation copy of Doctor Fate, who, as recently discussed, also has been victim to too many "bold, new creative directions." We then moved onto armored versions, crazy versions, & short-lived stints with the West Coast Avengers (not the real team but rather the branch office...) Nothing about the character has ever said "top drawer."

I myself am a big fan of Shanna, the She-Devil, who has had some excellent stories and artwork in her various appearances, including some black-and-white work by Tony DeZuniga during the Marvel Magazine era. Like Moon Knight, unfortunately, her influences and precedents are worn a little too close to the surface. It's nearly impossible to see her and not be reminded of Sheena, just as it is difficult to see Moon Knight and not get a flash of Batman.

Despite some excellent creative runs, Moon Knight is still perceived as a second-tier knock-off character, much like Hyperion, Thundra, or Nighthawk, and as such is unlikely to the acheive lasting success many of his fans feel he has earned.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2013 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

Excellent summary Brian! Barnacles indeed! 

The multiple personalities crutch is one of the best examples of lazy writing being confused with "edgy".

Mikael Bergkvist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2013 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

Moon knight always struck me as something Batman was not: an unstable man with a woman keeping him (somewhat) sane, and also with the crutch of that homemade religion.

I saw him as a veteran returning home, with a mind that has been distorted and injured. The love of his woman and the belief in that Egyptian God is what keeps him upright. The stories was about him facing old enemies who had defeated him in the past, but which he now defeated as Moon Knight.

Batman had several ladies, but not that steady love of a woman at his side who wouldn't back down from a fight, standing at his side rather than behind him.

Moon Knight was best played as a romantic escapade, a woman in love with a man with some delusions, but a heroic heart.

As a writer, I would have focused a lot more on her..

Edited by Mikael Bergkvist on 03 June 2013 at 4:14pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2013 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 10  

If you're going to "fix" him, I think you have to first establish he's NOT insane. And, probably figure out a way to effectively ignore the majority of the last 20 plus years of stories featuring him since they all play on his sanity and stability not to mention multiple deaths and resurrections.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 11  

I've never been able to form an opinion about Moon Knight one way or the other. Several times over the years, I've tried an issue here or there of one of his titles, but it always seems to be in the middle of a storyline or the series doesn't last long.

Seeing how highly some people here are speaking of the stories in the Essentials, maybe I'll give that a shot.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

I never saw him as being insane. 

He knew exactly who he was in the Moench stories. Steven Grant was a cover identity to stop his past as Marc Spector catching up with him, and a way to use his wealth to fund Moon Knight. Jake Lockley allowed him access to street level crime that he then dealt with as Moon Knight. Moon Knight was his hands on approach to stopping crime. Moench resolved a lot of these issues in #'s 9 - 10 of volume 1

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version