Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Whats wrong with Moon Knight? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 1  

The only thing that was remotely interesting to me about Moon Knight was Bill Sienkiewicz's artwork.  As a concept it was all over the place.  Mercenary, supernatural elements, gritty street-level "reality"-based character, ambivalent Batman clone...I think the character was just a mess in general.  But those last dozen or so issues of Sienkiewicz's run...amazing stuff creatively.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 2  

Gosh, remember when Neal thought Batman had a sense of humor. sigh

Speaking for myself, I'd say Moon Knight fails on the grounds of INACCESSIBILITY. I couldn't figure out who the heck he was, and I'm usually pretty good at that sort of thing.

The best characters are the ones that allow a potential new reader to be told who and what they are in the traditional "25 words or less".

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 3  

It's not just the darts. In the Nolan movies, Batman also borrowed Moon Knight's glider-cape!

••

Altho for some reason such things didn't ever quite seem to catch the imagination of the fans (tho as I kid, I wondered why BATman didn't fly), the Gotham Guardian tried out flying kits long before Moon Knight came along!

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 4  

Moon Knight had such great POTENTIAL.
He's got such a great look, but like JB wrote, the character feels inaccessable.

I liked Moon Knight when I saw him in the HULK magazine when I was a kid and happily bought his series when it first started. (first thirty issues anyway)

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 5  

Didn't the first volume of Moon Knight eventually become a Direct Market Only title? How was a kid in the early 1980's supposed to find out about a character if they couldn't pick the book up at High's, 7-11, or a drug store?

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 6  

Sure, Batman infrequently made use of flying devices, but none of them functioned in the same way as Moon Knight's glider cape. The way Nolan-Bat used his cape as glider was far more reminicent of Moon Knight than it was of the various Batman flight gimmicks.

This seems similar to that bit where Batman swings through the city while claiming that Spider-Man is ripping off his m.o.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 7  

Sure, Batman infrequently made use of flying devices, but none of them functioned in the same way as Moon Knight's glider cape. The way Nolan-Bat used his cape as glider was far more reminicent of Moon Knight than it was of the various Batman flight gimmicks.

++++

This seems similar to that bit where Batman swings through the city while claiming that Spider-Man is ripping off his m.o.

••

A "bit" in the sense that Batman was shown to do that ONCE. Or have I missed other examples?

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 8  

I liked Moon Knight when I saw him in the HULK magazine when I was
a kid...
---
Same here! I'd really like to reread those.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 9  

Wallace,those stories are available in Essential Moon Knight.I liked the Moench/Bill Sienkiewicz run,it was offbeat and the art was strange and new in comparison with Bill`s Adams inspired art.I even liked the second direct market run,with art by Chris Warner if my memory is correct.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 10  

It seems odd to me that on that cover of Batman 109, Batman is wearing his wings on his front rather than his back.  It seems even odder because Robin is wearing his on his back, as I would expect.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 11  

It seems odd to me that on that cover of Batman 109, Batman is wearing his wings on his front rather than his back. It seems even odder because Robin is wearing his on his back, as I would expect.

••

Not having read that story, I would imagine the configuration is an application of artistic license. They wanted the figures sweeping up and down across the cover, but did not want either obscured by the wings.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2013 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 12  

I liked Moon Knight when I saw him in the HULK magazine when I was 
a kid...
---
Same here! I'd really like to reread those.
===================================================

They're available in Essential Moon Knight Vol. 1

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version