Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Whats wrong with Moon Knight? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

I recall there was a time when they tied MK in with Egyptian mythology.  I think that was when the character kind of went off the rails with me, rather than being a mercenary-turned-crimefighter with the moon motif.

I loved those old Moench-Sinkewicz stories.  There was something appealing in how Bill let the Neal Adams influences through in retrospect, but he was soon working on the Fantastic Four (just before John Byrne's classic run), and grew on me even more when he debuted his modified style on the New Mutants.

Back to Top profile | search

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 2  

Always liked him, thought he had a pretty cool costume.

I think a big problem is that almost every creative team that has worked on him has had a completely different take on the character.

While there is a similarity to Batman, I think part of that is that Moench was drawing on some of the same inspirations: the pulps such as the Shadow, Secret Agent "X", the Spider **. The different identities weren't some kind of multiple personality disorder but just different disguises that he adopted to get information. I liked the fact that Moench was a bit vague on Moon Knight's powers, if he even had powers in fact. He believes in his Egyptian moon god, but Moench plays it vague. Is he merely inspired by the god of the moon and vengeance, or is the supernatural really at work? In the Marvel Universe, either is possible. I think it weakens the character to literalize it one way or the other.

**The Shroud is a variation of the same themes, drawing from the Shadow, Green Lama and Black Bat so both qualify as Marvel's Batman
Back to Top profile | search | www

Larry Lawrence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 3  

Bat-razors were also seen in the stats for the GN Batman Son of the Demon shown at conventions, but were (nixed by editorial?) removed by the time it saw print.

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 4  

It's not just the darts. In the Nolan movies, Batman also borrowed Moon Knight's glider-cape!

Edited by Glen Keith on 31 May 2013 at 5:45pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

I don't think that there's anything wrong with Moon Knight. The team of Doug Moench and Bill Sienkeiwicz proved the character's great potential. Perhaps some characters never become more popular simply because of the looming shadow of others (i.e. Batman). 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 31 May 2013 at 7:47pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William T. Byrd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

I first got introduced to Moon Knight in an issue where he overcomes a paralyzing injury suffered at the hands of the Fly (the burglar not the stuntman) and then has to enlist the services of the X-Men and the Fantastic Four to help stop a mutant. Loved that issue and couldn't wait to pick up other issues.... but I never saw another issue at the places I bought comics.  I later learned that the title was cancelled and then relaunched with a different look but had lost my interest. Just recently I tracked down a lot of early issues from the Moench run.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 7  

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 8  

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

I really liked Moon Knight.  The Moench series was great, and the Dixon series had some good moments.

To me, Moon Knight should have been the "monster hunter" of Marvel.  He should be the superhero who kills vampires, hunts werewolves, deals with ghosts, fight zombies and such along with more traditional, but bizarre supervillain menaces like Morpheus.  He would have been an awesome guy to team up with some of the lesser tier, but interesting, Marvel horror heroes like Brother Voodoo or Son of Satan.

I think his past as a mercenary and foes like Bushman and Arsenal could have seen more as a globe trotting hero going around the world to fight occult menaces that aren't at the level of Dr Strange.  It would have been interesting to find him teaming up with Hannibal King or Victoria Frankenstein.

It would have been an interesting way to distinguish him from ordinary crime fighters while still presenting him with interesting foes.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think all of these suggestions of what MK should be is
the answer. He never developed a solid enough an
identity, so every writer writes a different MK. (Yes,
that's some hyperbole, but the point remains.)

Edited by Kip Lewis on 31 May 2013 at 9:00pm

Steve Ogden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 11  

I have always been a fan of Moon Knight. I do not think that he is a Batman clone at all.  As others have mentioned, his "personalities" really made the character very interesting and I thought he was interesting, visually as well. I wold buy any comics with his appearance's. But of course, the pinnacle time for me with Moon Knight was in the early 1980's with Marvel Preview #21 and his own series.
If anyone is interested to see what the Moon Knight bust from Gentle Giant looks like, I posted a pic in the statue/toys thread.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 12  

Sienkeiwicz really was a great Neal Adams clone in those early Moon Knight stories. Until he got all...Sienkeiwicz-y, which as fun to watch each month.

Edited by Jeffrey Rice on 31 May 2013 at 10:13pm

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version